* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-06 15:38 Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-01-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Dear All,

We are unable to build the ARM cross compilation tools for
arm-elf-gcc-3.4.3 on my x86 machine on which we installed the Ubuntu
9.10 distribution OS with 2.6.35 kernel version. The gcc version on
x86 machine is 4.3.3. We need to compile some sources on my x86
machine for our target machine which is based on ARM architecture. We
have gone through following links to build the cross compilation tools
for arm-elf-gcc 3.4.3 on my x86 machine.

http://www.ailis.de/~k/archives/19-ARM-cross-compiling-howto.html
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

Unfortunately we end up with different types of errors. When we fix
one error then we get another new error. We tried in different ways to
build the tools on my x86 machine. There is no luck at all. We also
gone through the http://www.gnuarm.com/ site and downloaded the
binaries for gcc 3.4. toolchain. However, we did not find any README
for how to use these binaries.

Please let us know if there is any clean procedure/document/link for
building/using the arm-elf-gcc 3.4.3 toolchain on my x86 machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and help us a lot.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhavi M.

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-06 15:48 ` vinit agrawal
From: vinit agrawal @ 2011-01-06 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

try this... its a different toolchain based on GCC

http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm

--Vinit

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Madhavi Manchala <madhavi.linux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are unable to build the ARM cross compilation tools for
> arm-elf-gcc-3.4.3 on my x86 machine on which we installed the Ubuntu
> 9.10 distribution OS with 2.6.35 kernel version. The gcc version on
> x86 machine is 4.3.3. We need to compile some sources on my x86
> machine for our target machine which is based on ARM architecture. We
> have gone through following links to build the cross compilation tools
> for arm-elf-gcc 3.4.3 on my x86 machine.
>
> http://www.ailis.de/~k/archives/19-ARM-cross-compiling-howto.html
> http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html
> http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/
>
> Unfortunately we end up with different types of errors. When we fix
> one error then we get another new error. We tried in different ways to
> build the tools on my x86 machine. There is no luck at all. We also
> gone through the http://www.gnuarm.com/ site and downloaded the
> binaries for gcc 3.4. toolchain. However, we did not find any README
> for how to use these binaries.
>
> Please let us know if there is any clean procedure/document/link for
> building/using the arm-elf-gcc 3.4.3 toolchain on my x86 machine.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated and help us a lot.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Madhavi M.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-07  0:55   ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2011-01-07  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> try this... its a different toolchain based on GCC
> http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm

Or if you need something more specific, try Buildroot to built your
own cross-compilation environment. But Vinit's solution should be
simpler to install and adequate in most cases.

Alex.

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-07  1:14 ` Manohar Vanga
From: Manohar Vanga @ 2011-01-07  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I would suggest using ELDK. I have had an easy time setting it up in the
past.

$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/arm-linux-x86/iso/arm-2008-11-24.iso
$ mount -o loop arm-2008-11-24.iso /mnt
$ cd /mnt
$ sudo ./install -d /opt/eldk-4.2

Now add "/opt/eldk-4.2/usr/bin/" to your PATH.  My preferred method is to
instead do

$ export CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/eldk-4.2/usr/bin/arm-linux-

and use the $CROSS_COMPILE variable when setting the toolchains in my
Makefiles. Hope this helps :-)

--
/manohar

@ 2011-01-07  7:34   ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-01-07  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM, vinit agrawal <vender007@gmail.com> wrote:
> try this... its a different toolchain based on GCC
> http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm

Thanks for the link. However, you are saying that it is a different
toolchain based on GCC. I did not understand this sentence correctly.
Actually, I want to compile the sources using arm-elf-gcc command. Is
this supported by this codesourcery tool? If you have already used,
please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhavi M.

@ 2011-01-07  8:36     ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2011-01-07  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Thanks for the link. However, you are saying that it is a different
> toolchain based on GCC. I did not understand this sentence correctly.
> Actually, I want to compile the sources using arm-elf-gcc command. Is
> this supported by this codesourcery tool? If you have already used,
> please let me know.

The name of the compiler will maybe be different, but yes, you will be
able to cross-compile sources using it.

Alex.

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-07  9:30   ` Madhavi Manchala
From: Madhavi Manchala @ 2011-01-07  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Manohar Vanga <manohar.vanga@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would suggest using ELDK. I have had an easy time setting it up in the
> past.
> $ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/arm-linux-x86/iso/arm-2008-11-24.iso
> $ mount -o loop arm-2008-11-24.iso /mnt
> $ cd /mnt
> $ sudo ./install -d /opt/eldk-4.2
> Now add "/opt/eldk-4.2/usr/bin/" to your PATH. ?My preferred method is to
> instead do
> $ export CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/eldk-4.2/usr/bin/arm-linux-
> and use the $CROSS_COMPILE variable when setting the toolchains in my
> Makefiles. Hope this helps :-)

Thanks Manohar.

Where can I get the list of supported CPU family types for ARM
architecture like ARM5, ARM7, ARM926EJ etc. In case of Power
Architecture (PPC) there is a list as shown in the below link at ELDK
site
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKSupportedTargetArchitectures

The same is also mentioned in the table at 3.6.A Table of possible
values for $CROSS_COMPILE section of the ELDK at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKUsage

For us, ARM9 is suitable.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhavi M.

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-01-07 16:26     ` Dave Hylands
From: Dave Hylands @ 2011-01-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Madhavi,

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Madhavi Manchala
<madhavi.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
...snip...
> Where can I get the list of supported CPU family types for ARM
> architecture like ARM5, ARM7, ARM926EJ etc. In case of Power
> Architecture (PPC) there is a list as shown in the below link at ELDK
> site
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKSupportedTargetArchitectures
>
> The same is also mentioned in the table at 3.6.A Table of possible
> values for $CROSS_COMPILE section of the ELDK at
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKUsage
>
> For us, ARM9 is suitable.

You can try using

arm-xxx-gcc --target-help

(replace xxx appropriately). This should list the targets which are
supported by that particular compiler. For example, when I use my
gumstix cross compiler, I get the following output:

  Known ARM CPUs (for use with the -mcpu= and -mtune= options):
    cortex-m3, cortex-r4, cortex-a8, arm1156t2-s, mpcore, mpcorenovfp,
    arm1176jzf-s, arm1176jz-s, arm1136jf-s, arm1136j-s, arm1026ej-s, arm926ej-s,
    iwmmxt, xscale, arm1022e, arm1020e, arm10e, arm968e-s, arm966e-s, arm946e-s,
    arm9e, arm1020t, arm10tdmi, ep9312, arm940t, arm922t, arm920t, arm920,
    arm9tdmi, arm9, arm740t, arm720t, arm710t, arm7tdmi-s, arm7tdmi,
    strongarm1110, strongarm1100, strongarm110, strongarm, arm810, arm8,
    arm7dmi, arm7dm, arm7m, arm7500fe, arm7500, arm7100, arm710c, arm720,
    arm710, arm700i, arm700, arm70, arm7di, arm7d, arm7, arm620, arm610, arm600,
    arm60, arm6, arm3, arm250, arm2

  Known ARM architectures (for use with the -march= option):
    iwmmxt, ep9312, armv7-m, armv7-r, armv7-a, armv7, armv6t2, armv6zk, armv6z,
    armv6k, armv6j, armv6, armv5te, armv5e, armv5t, armv5, armv4t, armv4,
    armv3m, armv3, armv2a, armv2

Dave Hylands

* ARM Cross Compilation Toolchain on x86 machine
@ 2011-02-01 16:34       ` Chaitannya Mahatme
From: Chaitannya Mahatme @ 2011-02-01 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2011-02-01 17:53         ` vinit agrawal