* OE donations
@ 2010-09-03 21:26 Cliff Brake
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Cliff Brake @ 2010-09-03 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

There is now a donation page on the OE website:

http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Donate

The funds will be used by the board
(http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Organization) for various
purposes, so please discuss with one of them if you have questions.  I
would assume there will be some type of report published as to how
money is spent, but again that is not my responsibility.

Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:

4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=================
http://bec-systems.com

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-03 22:15 ` Henning Heinold
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Henning Heinold @ 2010-09-03 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 05:26:04PM -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is now a donation page on the OE website:
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Donate
>
> The funds will be used by the board
> (http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Organization) for various
> purposes, so please discuss with one of them if you have questions.  I
> would assume there will be some type of report published as to how
> money is spent, but again that is not my responsibility.
>
> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>
> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k
>
> Thanks,
> Cliff

Hm,

you proably mean the funds goes to the e.V. and the board decide what to do with
it.

Bye Henning

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-04  7:43 ` Frans Meulenbroeks
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-04  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/9/3 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com>:

> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>
> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k

Maybe before we spent 1k on disks:

How much diskspace do we have now?
How much of it is used?
And what stored is on it?
And why is this massive amount of storage (4.5 TB assuming they are in
RAID5) needed?

I feel 1k is a big amount for a small e.V. like ours, and before
deciding on the spending of it we should probably first discuss the
issue and evaluate other options.
E.g. maybe we can find a sponsor to donate some space and bandwidth on
their server.

Frans.

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-04 12:38 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2010-09-04 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello all,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is now a donation page on the OE website:

> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>
> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k

Cliff, thanks for the announcement and pragmatism (solving problems at hand).

A bit more transparency (why? what? how? solves what?)  would be
welcomed and would help fund raising efforts.

The last week we seem to have a bandwidth problem at hand (at least to
.eu) so I expect that to be touched as well. Who feels / is
responsible for this?

If someone can explain the current situation, and what the plan is to
improve on this, I'll be happy to consider a donation.

Leon

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-04 12:46   ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2010-09-04 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bit more transparency (why? what? how? solves what?)  would be
> welcomed and would help fund raising efforts.

I was pleasantly surprised by the up-to-date wiki page on our
infrastructure, so I take back that remark, and donated (0.6 TB) right
away.

The question on the networking side of things remains,

Leon

* Re: OE donations
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-06  9:39 ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2010-09-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Am 03.09.2010 23:26, schrieb Cliff Brake:
> There is now a donation page on the OE website:
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Donate

What about publishing account information (account holder, account number, bank code number/BLZ, IBAN) for direct transfers (which are free of charge at least in germany)?

What about additional payment services like Flattr <http://flattr.com/> or Kachingle <http://kachingle.com/>?

Steffen

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-06 10:25   ` Florian Boor
From: Florian Boor @ 2010-09-06 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi!

Steffen Sledz schrieb:
> What about publishing account information (account holder, account number,
> bank code number/BLZ, IBAN) for direct transfers (which are free of charge at
> least in germany)?

That's a good point, I will take care about this.

> What about additional payment services like Flattr <http://flattr.com/> or
> Kachingle <http://kachingle.com/>?

We do not have accounts for these yet but this might be a good idea too.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-15

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-06 11:13     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2010-09-06 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 09/06/2010 06:25 AM, Florian Boor wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Sledz schrieb:
>> What about publishing account information (account holder, account number,
>> bank code number/BLZ, IBAN) for direct transfers (which are free of charge at
>> least in germany)?
>
> That's a good point, I will take care about this.

Good point. Unfortunately, bank transfers a very expensive from the US.

>> What about additional payment services like Flattr<http://flattr.com/>  or
>> Kachingle<http://kachingle.com/>?
>
> We do not have accounts for these yet but this might be a good idea too.

We want to keep the treasurer from spending lots of time on the job :)
Paypal had a large user base and supports many countries, at least for
US based people. We need a way to collect money easily and paypal serves
a need.

Philip

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-07 14:29   ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2010-09-07 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/3 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com>:
>

>> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>>
>> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k
>
> Maybe before we spent 1k on disks:
>
> How much diskspace do we have now?
> How much of it is used?
> And what stored is on it?
> And why is this massive amount of storage (4.5 TB assuming they are in
> RAID5) needed?
>
> I feel 1k is a big amount for a small e.V. like ours, and before
> deciding on the spending of it we should probably first discuss the
> issue and evaluate other options.
> E.g. maybe we can find a sponsor to donate some space and bandwidth on
> their server.

We share hardware and hosting costs with a number of other projects like:

foonas.org
nslu2-linux.org
openwiz.org
preware.org
webos-internals.org

Historically, we have funded very little of the server costs at the
OSUOSL site.  I personally purchased a CPU for them at one point, and
I'm not sure much else has come from the OE project.  So from a
project standpoint, we are likely behind when it comes to paying for
our share of the hardware costs.

The 4.5TB will likely be shared with all the above projects.  The
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Infrastructure page lists some
of the resources allocated specifically to the OE project.  Other
resources (such as a dedicated database server, and backups) are not
so apparent.

So in summary, we should fund at least a portion of the above storage
costs.  Personally, I'm satisfied with how things are OSUOSL are run
-- Tom King and others spend a lot of volunteer time keeping things
running.

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=================
http://bec-systems.com

* Re: OE donations
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-08  0:09 ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2010-09-08  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 09/03/2010 05:26 PM, Cliff Brake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is now a donation page on the OE website:
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Donate
>
> The funds will be used by the board
> (http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Organization) for various
> purposes, so please discuss with one of them if you have questions.  I
> would assume there will be some type of report published as to how
> money is spent, but again that is not my responsibility.

The treasurer (Florian Bloor) is responsible for presenting the eV's
finances to the membership. Typically, this occurs during a General
Assembly.

> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>
> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k

In the past the eV has received money to help pay people's travel to
events that benefit the project.

It would be nice to have money on hand so we can be more responsive when
the people working on the hosting need help.

Philip

> Thanks,
> Cliff

* Re: OE donations
@ 2010-09-08  6:19     ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-08  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/9/7 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
> <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/9/3 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>>>
>>> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k
>>
>> Maybe before we spent 1k on disks:
>>
>> How much diskspace do we have now?
>> How much of it is used?
>> And what stored is on it?
>> And why is this massive amount of storage (4.5 TB assuming they are in
>> RAID5) needed?
>>
>> I feel 1k is a big amount for a small e.V. like ours, and before
>> deciding on the spending of it we should probably first discuss the
>> issue and evaluate other options.
>> E.g. maybe we can find a sponsor to donate some space and bandwidth on
>> their server.
>
> We share hardware and hosting costs with a number of other projects like:
>
> foonas.org
> nslu2-linux.org
> openwiz.org
> preware.org
> webos-internals.org
>
> Historically, we have funded very little of the server costs at the
> OSUOSL site.  I personally purchased a CPU for them at one point, and
> I'm not sure much else has come from the OE project.  So from a
> project standpoint, we are likely behind when it comes to paying for
> our share of the hardware costs.
>
> The 4.5TB will likely be shared with all the above projects.  The
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Infrastructure page lists some
> of the resources allocated specifically to the OE project.  Other
> resources (such as a dedicated database server, and backups) are not
> so apparent.
>
> So in summary, we should fund at least a portion of the above storage
> costs.  Personally, I'm satisfied with how things are OSUOSL are run
> -- Tom King and others spend a lot of volunteer time keeping things
> running.
>
> Thanks,
> Cliff

Cliff, all,

Please note that I am not against paying our part of the resources.
The 4.5 TB request to me came as kind-of  a surprise as I don't see us
using up that amount of resources (as we currently have 50 GB).
But ofc as we also use CPU cycles, space, etc etc, so I see no problem
with us donating some storage hardware as we also use resources
donated by others.

Wrt OSUOSL: I see the people are doing a good job, and I really appreciate it.

Best regards, Frans