* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-10  3:04 Chaitanya Upadhyay
From: Chaitanya Upadhyay @ 2010-06-10  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio Maciel; +Cc: Blum, xen-devel

Hi Lucio,

Thx for catching the error, and apologies for the missing sources.  We'll upload the corrected sources iso within the next 48 hrs.

-Chaitanya

XenClient Product Management Team

>>> http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=23003
>>> 46
>>>

>> The site you pointed me to, doesn't seem to contain an up-to-date repositories. E.g the most recent commits in those repositories are
>> *months* old... I can bet those repos do not contain the exact source code you used for your product that you released today.
>>
>> joanna.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-10  3:21 ` Lucio Maciel
From: Lucio Maciel @ 2010-06-10  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Peter Blum, xen-devel

Thanks Chaitanya...

Would the build repository be updated too? They are pretty outdated.

Regards.
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 00:04, Chaitanya Upadhyay

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-14 14:15   ` Lucio Maciel
From: Lucio Maciel @ 2010-06-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Peter Blum, xen-devel

Hi,

Any news on this?

I noticed that there was no update on the sources available at
http://www.citrix.com/xenclient/tryit

Regars,
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

* RE: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-14 23:04     ` Chaitanya Upadhyay
From: Chaitanya Upadhyay @ 2010-06-14 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio Maciel; +Cc: Blum, xen-devel, Chaitanya Upadhyay

The source iso for XenClient v1.0 RC has been updated with the missing components at http://www.citrix.com/xenclient/tryit.  Thanks for your patience, and apologies for the delay.  The md5 is afe3e2654c26b3de3b891481c2ca31ad.

Citrix XenClient Product Team

I noticed that there was no update on the sources available at
http://www.citrix.com/xenclient/tryit

Regars,
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 00:21, Lucio Maciel <luciofm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chaitanya...
>
> Would the build repository be updated too? They are pretty outdated.
>
> Regards.
> Lúcio Maciel
> luciofm@gmail.com
>

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 00:04, Chaitanya Upadhyay
> <Chaitanya.Upadhyay@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi Lucio,
>>
>> Thx for catching the error, and apologies for the missing sources.  We'll upload the corrected sources iso within the next 48 hrs.
>>
>> -Chaitanya
>>
>> XenClient Product Management Team
>>
>> On Jun 9, 2010, at 10:28 AM, "Lucio Maciel" <luciofm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chaitanya,
>>>
>>> After a quick look I saw that there are several missing sources from
>>> the ISO available to download.
>>>
>>> Some of missing sources includes:
>>> - Xen hypervisor itself
>>> - Qemu (ioemu) device model
>>> - Xenclient toolstack (ocaml toolstack)
>>> - /usr/bin/input_server (it links to the GPL dbus library)
>>> - /usr/bin/ctxusb (links to GPL dbus library)
>>> - /usr/bin/uid (links to GPL dbus library)
>>> - /usr/bin/dbd (links to GPL dbus library)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Lúcio Maciel
>>> luciofm@gmail.com

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-16 13:59       ` luciofm
From: luciofm @ 2010-06-16 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Peter Blum, xen-devel

Hi Chaitanya,

Thanks for the updated sources.

The only thing I could spot now is the missing sources for
/usr/bin/input_{server,client} binaries that are linked to
/usr/lib/libpci.so.3.1.2 which is GPLv2 (or later)

Regards.
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:04, Chaitanya Upadhyay

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-17 14:19         ` luciofm
From: luciofm @ 2010-06-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Peter Blum, xen-devel

Hi,

Other package that is missing is ocaml-dbus
(http://projects.snarc.org/ocaml-dbus/) used by the
xenclient-toolstack.

Regards
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

* RE: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-18 17:03           ` Chaitanya Upadhyay
From: Chaitanya Upadhyay @ 2010-06-18 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luciofm; +Cc: Blum, xen-devel, Chaitanya Upadhyay

Hi Lucio,

Thanks for spotting this. The version used is identical to the 0.24 release on github (http://github.com/vincenthz/ocaml-dbus).  Vincent works for Citrix and he's happy to waive the need for us to respin the source CD just to include this, but we'll fix the build system to include it on future source CDs.

> The only thing I could spot now is the missing sources for
> /usr/bin/input_{server,client} binaries that are linked to
> /usr/lib/libpci.so.3.1.2 which is GPLv2 (or later)

The engineering team took a look at this, and didn't think there was a reason why the input stuff should be having anything to do with libpci. Indeed, it turned out that input_{server,client} don't actually reference anything provided by libpci, so it won't be dynamically linked against it. libpci shows up in the output of ldd because of a bug in a configure script used to build the daemon.

You can demonstrate this simply by running sed on the binary to remove libpci from the list of expected libraries, e.g. "sed -i 's/libpci.so.3/libnsl.so.1/' input_{server,client}" [libnsl is used here simply because it is not used by input_server/client and happens to have the same length name.]  If you run the sed script and reboot you should see that input_server/client binaries still load correctly (as they were never actually being dynamically linked against libpci) and that there is no loss of functionality.  Hence, input_server/client don't use any GPL libraries.

We expect to release all of the extra bits and pieces like this as GPL and submit them for consideration for the XCI tree, and are working on appropriate legal signoff. Stay tuned...

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-18 21:55             ` Vincent Hanquez
From: Vincent Hanquez @ 2010-06-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Peter Blum, xen-devel, luciofm

On 18/06/10 18:03, Chaitanya Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi Lucio,
>
>> Other package that is missing is ocaml-dbus
>> (http://projects.snarc.org/ocaml-dbus/) used by the
>> xenclient-toolstack.
>
> Thanks for spotting this. The version used is identical to the 0.24 release on github (http://github.com/vincenthz/ocaml-dbus).  Vincent works for Citrix and he's happy to waive the need for us to respin the source CD just to include this, but we'll fix the build system to include it on future source CDs.

Sorry, i'm not really happy with the wording here, and I feel like i
should clarify.

As the copyright owner and licensor, I think it's perfectly acceptable
for Citrix to point users to the official source [1], while this minor
source omission get solve for the next CD respin (whenever it is). It
doesn't cover anything that might be related to licensee rights (if any).

[1] which I can testify as beeing identical to the one use by the
xenclient-toolstack

--
Vincent

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2011-01-25 17:59             ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-01-25 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: Blum, Peter, xen-devel, luciofm

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:03:29AM -0700, Chaitanya Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi Lucio,
>
> > Other package that is missing is ocaml-dbus
> > (http://projects.snarc.org/ocaml-dbus/) used by the
> > xenclient-toolstack.
>
> Thanks for spotting this. The version used is identical to the 0.24 release on github (http://github.com/vincenthz/ocaml-dbus).  Vincent works for Citrix and he's happy to waive the need for us to respin the source CD just to include this, but we'll fix the build system to include it on future source CDs.
>
> > The only thing I could spot now is the missing sources for
> > /usr/bin/input_{server,client} binaries that are linked to
> > /usr/lib/libpci.so.3.1.2 which is GPLv2 (or later)
>
> The engineering team took a look at this, and didn't think there was a reason why the input stuff should be having anything to do with libpci. Indeed, it turned out that input_{server,client} don't actually reference anything provided by libpci, so it won't be dynamically linked against it. libpci shows up in the output of ldd because of a bug in a configure script used to build the daemon.
>
> You can demonstrate this simply by running sed on the binary to remove libpci from the list of expected libraries, e.g. "sed -i 's/libpci.so.3/libnsl.so.1/' input_{server,client}" [libnsl is used here simply because it is not used by input_server/client and happens to have the same length name.]  If you run the sed script and reboot you should see that input_server/client binaries still load correctly (as they were never actually being dynamically linked against libpci) and that there is no loss of functionality.  Hence, input_server/client don't use any GPL libraries.
>
> We expect to release all of the extra bits and pieces like this as GPL and submit them for consideration for the XCI tree, and are working on appropriate legal signoff. Stay tuned...
>
> Citrix XenClient Product Team.

Hello,

It seems the XCI sourcetrees on xenbits haven't been updated for a while..
any plans for this?

-- Pasi

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-08-06 15:23           ` zjmmobi
From: zjmmobi @ 2010-08-06 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

HI,

where I can download the source code by git repo? I have download the iso
file source code, but I did not find any document to show how to build.

Thanks.

mobi

Jean Guyader-2 wrote:

> On 26 May 2010 14:18, Lucio Maciel <luciofm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 13:55, Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> The tree will be updated shortly, we'll try to do that before the end
>>> of this week.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jean
>>
>> Hi Jean,
>>
>> There is any update on this?
>>
>> The repos are still outdated.
>>

> Yes, sorry we are still working on it.
>
> Jean

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-06-09 17:28         ` Lucio Maciel
From: Lucio Maciel @ 2010-06-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Upadhyay; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Chaitanya,

After a quick look I saw that there are several missing sources from
the ISO available to download.

Some of missing sources includes:
- Xen hypervisor itself
- Qemu (ioemu) device model
- Xenclient toolstack (ocaml toolstack)
- /usr/bin/input_server (it links to the GPL dbus library)
- /usr/bin/ctxusb (links to GPL dbus library)
- /usr/bin/uid (links to GPL dbus library)
- /usr/bin/dbd (links to GPL dbus library)

Regards
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 14:43, Chaitanya Upadhyay
<Chaitanya.Upadhyay@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Joanna,
>
> Please accept our apologies with the chaos of the Synergy show and the release to web we didn't get links up to the source CDs on the main Citrix site yesterday. The zip and ISOs for open source components in XenClient are being uploaded currently, and should be available shortly on http://www.citrix.com/xenclient/tryit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> XenClient Product Management
>

> On 05/13/2010 11:07 AM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
>> On 05/13/2010 10:56 AM, Jonathan Knowles wrote:
>>> Hi Joanna

>>> The following site appears to have the source code:
>>>
>>> http://xenbits.xen.org/xenclient/
>>>

>> If this page indeed contain the same sources that were used to build
>> Citrix XenClient Express [1], then, in order to comply with the GPL
>> license terms, I think you would need to do the following:
>>
>> 1) Put a link to this page on the Citrix XenClient Express download
>> page [1] and make it clear that these are the very same sources you
>> used for Xen Client Express.
>>
>> 2) Indicate which exact versions of Xen and Kernel (and in which
>> configuration) have been used for this particular product.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> joanna.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=23003
>> 46
>>

> The site you pointed me to, doesn't seem to contain an up-to-date repositories. E.g the most recent commits in those repositories are
> *months* old... I can bet those repos do not contain the exact source code you used for your product that you released today.
>
> joanna.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-26 13:27         ` Jean Guyader
From: Jean Guyader @ 2010-05-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio Maciel; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Daniel Barden

@ 2010-05-26 13:18       ` Lucio Maciel
From: Lucio Maciel @ 2010-05-26 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Guyader; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Daniel Barden

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 13:55, Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> The tree will be updated shortly, we'll try to do that before the end
> of this week.
>
> Thanks,
> Jean

Hi Jean,

There is any update on this?

The repos are still outdated.

Thanks...
Lúcio Maciel
luciofm@gmail.com

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-18 16:55     ` Jean Guyader
From: Jean Guyader @ 2010-05-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Barden; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Jackson

@ 2010-05-18 14:42   ` Daniel Barden
From: Daniel Barden @ 2010-05-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Ian

> I hope you find everything you're looking for there.  We're also
> working on getting the git trees updated, as that's often going to be
> more practical than dealing with an ISO.

Is there any expected date for the repository update?

The released ISO contains the packages used, but nothing about the
build environment, that I think will come when the public repositories
are updated.

Thanks,
Daniel Barden

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-14 13:30       ` Jonathan Knowles
From: Jonathan Knowles @ 2010-05-14 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joanna Rutkowska; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Joanna

Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> The site you pointed me to, doesn't seem to contain an
> up-to-date repositories. E.g the most recent commits in
> those repositories are *months* old... I can bet those repos
> do not contain the exact source code you used for your
> product that you released today.

Yes, you're quite correct. My apologies for the mistake.

I notice that Ian Jackson has now posted a better link [1],
and hope that you find everything you're looking for there.

Many thanks for writing back to let me know.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

@ 2010-05-14 10:13   ` Joanna Rutkowska
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2010-05-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel

On 05/14/2010 11:56 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Joanna Rutkowska writes ("[Xen-devel] XenClient sources?"):
>> Where can I download the sources for all the GPL-based components of the
>> XenClient, specifically the Dom0 kernel and the Xen hypervisor (the very
>> versions that were used for this particular XenClient)?
>
> It looks like the source code is now available from the same page as
> the binaries, here:
>  http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300346
>
> I hope you find everything you're looking for there.  We're also
> working on getting the git trees updated, as that's often going to be
> more practical than dealing with an ISO.
>
> Anyway, sorry about the mistake.  Also, I apologise for the fact that
> no-one seems to have replied when it was done; AIUI this was sorted
> out last night.
>
> If there are any more problems please let me know.

Thanks Ian! I actually downloaded the images last night, but had no time
to explore what's there yet.

joanna.

* Re: XenClient sources?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-14  9:56 ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2010-05-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joanna Rutkowska; +Cc: xen-devel

Joanna Rutkowska writes ("[Xen-devel] XenClient sources?"):
> Where can I download the sources for all the GPL-based components of the
> XenClient, specifically the Dom0 kernel and the Xen hypervisor (the very
> versions that were used for this particular XenClient)?

It looks like the source code is now available from the same page as
the binaries, here:
 http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300346

I hope you find everything you're looking for there.  We're also
working on getting the git trees updated, as that's often going to be
more practical than dealing with an ISO.

Anyway, sorry about the mistake.  Also, I apologise for the fact that
no-one seems to have replied when it was done; AIUI this was sorted
out last night.

If there are any more problems please let me know.

Ian.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13 18:21 ` Jean Baptiste Favre
From: Jean Baptiste Favre @ 2010-05-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello,
Have tried to download official XenClient Express iso.
Downloads from France seems to be blocked due to "legal reason" and I
guess same apply to synchronizer (see bellow).
Does someone knows when it will be world wide released ?

Regards,
JB

Citrix Systems, Inc.’s global trade policy strictly prohibits, as
required under U.S. law, trade with entities in embargoed or sanctioned
countries, parties and/or individuals as applicable.

Following the required internal review, we have determined that trade or
delivery of a product with your organization or person is prohibited
under U.S. law.  Therefore, Citrix Systems Inc. cannot provide your
organization with access to this download.

If you feel this is in error, please contact a customer service
representative customerservice@citrix.com for further information.

On 13/05/2010 10:35, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> Where can I download the sources for all the GPL-based components of the
> XenClient, specifically the Dom0 kernel and the Xen hypervisor (the very
> versions that were used for this particular XenClient)?
>
> I just noticed that the XenClient ISO has been made available for
> download here:
>
> http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300346
>
> But there doesn't seem to be any link to source code...
>
> Thanks,
> joanna.

* RE: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13 17:43       ` Chaitanya Upadhyay
From: Chaitanya Upadhyay @ 2010-05-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joanna; +Cc: Upadhyay, xen-devel

@ 2010-05-13 17:18             ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2010-05-13 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I'm now told that this is being taken care of by other people
internally.  I expect you'll hear from them soon.

Ian.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13 17:07           ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2010-05-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I wrote:
> I've made a bit of progress but most of the people involved who know
> anything about this and are able to fix it are on US time and will
> just be waking up.  I expect we'll hear from them today, US West Coast
> time.

OK, I've been told where the source code is.  It's in the form of ISOs
and is quite large; I'm just transferring it now to a suitable machine
for public access.

Ian.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13 16:14         ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2010-05-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I wrote:
> You appear to be right.  I'm trying to find someone who can figure out
> what's going on so that we can fix it.  In the meantime, my
> apologies.  I'll report back very soon.

I've made a bit of progress but most of the people involved who know
anything about this and are able to fix it are on US time and will
just be waking up.  I expect we'll hear from them today, US West Coast
time.

Just to repeat: I take this kind of thing quite seriously and if the
problem persists and is not sorted out I'll be escalating it rapidly
internally.

Ian.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13 16:01       ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2010-05-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Knowles, xen-devel

Joanna Rutkowska writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] XenClient sources?"):
> The site you pointed me to, doesn't seem to contain an up-to-date
> repositories. E.g the most recent commits in those repositories are
> *months* old... I can bet those repos do not contain the exact source
> code you used for your product that you released today.

You appear to be right.  I'm trying to find someone who can figure out
what's going on so that we can fix it.  In the meantime, my
apologies.  I'll report back very soon.

Ian.

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13  9:11     ` Joanna Rutkowska
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2010-05-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Knowles; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2010-05-13  9:07   ` Joanna Rutkowska
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2010-05-13  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Knowles; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2010-05-13  8:56 ` Jonathan Knowles
From: Jonathan Knowles @ 2010-05-13  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, joanna

Hi Joanna

On 13/05/10 09:35, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> Where can I download the sources for all the GPL-based components of the
> XenClient, specifically the Dom0 kernel and the Xen hypervisor (the very
> versions that were used for this particular XenClient)?

The following site appears to have the source code:

http://xenbits.xen.org/xenclient/

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

* Re: XenClient sources?
@ 2010-05-13  8:49 ` Joanna Rutkowska
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2010-05-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 05/13/2010 10:35 AM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> Where can I download the sources for all the GPL-based components of the
> XenClient, specifically the Dom0 kernel and the Xen hypervisor (the very
> versions that were used for this particular XenClient)?
>
> I just noticed that the XenClient ISO has been made available for
> download here:
>
> http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300346
>
> But there doesn't seem to be any link to source code...

...which might seem like a GPL license violation:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifiedJustBinary

?

joanna.

* XenClient sources?