* bridge problem
@ 2007-02-15 16:36 ` saravanan chanemouganandam
From: saravanan chanemouganandam @ 2007-02-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge; +Cc: netfilter

Hi,

I am a newbie to use the bridge utils and after some serious tests I am
posting this issue. Actually, I am fascing packet forwarding problem in the
following network setup under linux 2.6.16. The 2.6.16 kernel is also
configured to include 802.1d Ethernet bridging, Network packet filtering, IP
netfilter configuration and Bridge netfilter configuration.

The target ARM board is made to act as a bridge between the Host and the
Router as shown below.

10.1.111.3 Host(eth0)<---->{ eth0 bridge(10.1.111.1) eth1 }<--->Router(
10.1.111.254)

On the target board

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifconfig br0 10.1.111.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

are configured. The problem is that, I can't ping the Router from the Host.
But from the bridge, I can ping Router and Host. The "arp reply" from the
Router is not reaching the Host as there's a problem in the bridge
(bridge-utils 1.2) interface.

I have cross checked the kernel configuration to include all the packet
forwarding and bridging. But still panic.

Can any one please precise what could cause this packet forward problem ?

Thanks
Sara

Gossips, movie reviews, photogallery and more
http://content.msn.co.in/Entertainment/Default

* [Bridge] bridge problem
@ 2007-02-15 16:36 ` saravanan chanemouganandam
From: saravanan chanemouganandam @ 2007-02-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge; +Cc: netfilter

[...]

* Re: bridge problem
@ 2007-02-15 16:54   ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2007-02-15 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saravanan chanemouganandam; +Cc: netfilter, bridge

On Feb 15 2007 22:06, saravanan chanemouganandam wrote:

> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0

That's a no-op. What you need is `ip l s eth0 up` (same for eth1)

> are configured. The problem is that, I can't ping the Router from the Host. But

brctl sethello br0 1

Jan
--
ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

* Re: [Bridge] bridge problem
@ 2007-02-15 16:54   ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2007-02-15 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saravanan chanemouganandam; +Cc: netfilter, bridge

On Feb 15 2007 22:06, saravanan chanemouganandam wrote:

> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0

That's a no-op. What you need is `ip l s eth0 up` (same for eth1)

> are configured. The problem is that, I can't ping the Router from the Host. But

brctl sethello br0 1

Jan
--
ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

* Re: [Bridge] bridge problem
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2007-02-15 17:27 ` kevin
From: kevin @ 2007-02-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

> On the target board
>
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 eth1
> ifconfig br0 10.1.111.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Bridging works transparently and is not routing.

You will not need ip_forwarding set, nor and ip in the same subnet.

forget setting the ip_forward, just bring up your bridge with:

ifconfig br0 0.0.0.0 up

If you have everything plugged in properly, and two ips in the same
subnet on either side, they will start pinging.

As mentioned on this list many times prior it does take 30 seconds for
the forwarding to take place unless you set it to 0 with:

brctl setfd br0 0

Hope that helps,
Kevin Karsh
Ouraynet

* [Bridge] brctl question?
  (?)
@ 2007-02-15 19:51   ` Marc.Obbad
From: Marc.Obbad @ 2007-02-15 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge, bridge-bounces

Hi,

I need to add new commands for the an embedded bridge application.
I was looking for the code that configure the bridge and could not find it.

I need  some help finding the bridge control commands, can anyone tell me where it is or how it work?

Thank you,

-Marc

* Re: [Bridge] brctl question?
@ 2007-02-15 21:37     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2007-02-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Obbad; +Cc: bridge-bounces, bridge

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:51:30 -0500
Marc.Obbad@smsc.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to add new commands for the an embedded bridge application.
> I was looking for the code that configure the bridge and could not find it.

In documentation:
	http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge

Is a link to the download on sourceforge

> I need  some help finding the bridge control commands, can anyone tell me where it is or how it work?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Marc

Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org>

* Re: [Bridge] brctl question?
@ 2007-02-15 21:58       ` Marc.Obbad
From: Marc.Obbad @ 2007-02-15 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: bridge-bounces, bridge

Thank you Steve.

             Stephen Hemminger
             <shemminger@linux-foundation.org>
             02/15/2007 04:37 PM                         Marc Obbad/SMSC@SMSC
                                                                                                                     cc
                                                         bridge@lists.osdl.org, bridge-bounces@lists.osdl.org
                                                                                                                Subject
                                                         Re: [Bridge] brctl question?

@ 2010-04-10  2:59 潘炳宇
From: 潘炳宇 @ 2010-04-10  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

             i get a bridge problem when patch my kernel 2.4.32

[-- Attachment #2: 新建 文本文档.txt --]

dddddddddddddd

* Re: bridge problem
@ 2007-09-13  9:16 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2007-09-13  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "潘炳宇"; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:03:24 +0800
"潘炳宇" <panbingyu@gmail.com> wrote:

>              i get a bridge problem when patch my kernel 2.4.32

You need to describe the problem more fully to get assistance.

* bridge problem
@ 2007-09-13  7:03 潘炳宇
From: 潘炳宇 @ 2007-09-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

             i get a bridge problem when patch my kernel 2.4.32