* Xen 3.0.4 - Ballooning
@ 2007-01-08 10:21 Sébastien RICCIO
From: Sébastien RICCIO @ 2007-01-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm actually trying to understand how
the memory allocation works within Xen.

I try to give 128MB to a domU and see if it increases for example when I
"nano" a 500mb file, but the process
just get killed when it reachs the 128MB memory limit.

How do I configure the guests so they can ask for more memory until a
limit is reached ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards
--

Sébastien Riccio
SwissCenter / OpenBusiness SA

OpenBusiness S.A.
World Trade Center
Av Gratta-Paille 1-2        Tel: +41 21 641 1010
CH-1000 Lausanne 30         FAX: +41 21 641 1011
Switzerland                  www.openbusiness.ch
Disclaimer

OpenBusiness Group.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copy-ing of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the OpenBusiness
help-desk by telephone on +41 21 641 10 10.

* Re: Xen 3.0.4 - Ballooning
@ 2007-01-08 23:28 ` Andrew D. Ball
From: Andrew D. Ball @ 2007-01-08 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien RICCIO; +Cc: xen-devel

Not such a dumb question.  As far as I know, memory ballooning is only
done from the control partition (dom0) nowadays, explicitly.

It would be nice for something inside of a domU's kernel or userspace to
watch
some metric and then ask nicely for more memory if needed.  Paravirtual
drivers
can do this for sure, but I haven't poked around enough to know which
available
ones do and how to trigger it.

Peace.
Andrew

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 11:21 +0100, Sébastien RICCIO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm actually trying to understand how
> the memory allocation works within Xen.
>
> I try to give 128MB to a domU and see if it increases for example when I
> "nano" a 500mb file, but the process
> just get killed when it reachs the 128MB memory limit.
>
> How do I configure the guests so they can ask for more memory until a
> limit is reached ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Best regards

* Re: Xen 3.0.4 - Ballooning
@ 2007-01-09 10:29   ` Sébastien RICCIO
From: Sébastien RICCIO @ 2007-01-09 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aball; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Andrew,

Thank you a lot for your answer. I will try to play with this a little.

Best regards.

--

Andrew D. Ball a écrit :
> Not such a dumb question.  As far as I know, memory ballooning is only
> done from the control partition (dom0) nowadays, explicitly.
>
> It would be nice for something inside of a domU's kernel or userspace to
> watch
> some metric and then ask nicely for more memory if needed.  Paravirtual
> drivers
> can do this for sure, but I haven't poked around enough to know which
> available
> ones do and how to trigger it.
>
> Peace.
> Andrew
>
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 11:21 +0100, Sébastien RICCIO wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm actually trying to understand how
>> the memory allocation works within Xen.
>>
>> I try to give 128MB to a domU and see if it increases for example when I
>> "nano" a 500mb file, but the process
>> just get killed when it reachs the 128MB memory limit.
>>
>> How do I configure the guests so they can ask for more memory until a
>> limit is reached ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help.
>>
>> Best regards

* question about gmfn_to_mfn()
@ 2007-03-23  3:31 ` tgh
From: tgh @ 2007-03-23  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

hi
 I read the code of balloon part,  I am  confused about  the meaning and
function of " mfn = gmfn_to_mfn(d, gmfn);"
 what is gmfn  and  and what is mfn?  and" #define gmfn_to_mfn(_d,
gpfn)  mfn_x(sh_gfn_to_mfn(_d, gpfn))"
it seems that  gmfn and gpfn  is the same  or  what is the trick in it ?

I am confused about it

could you help me
Thanks in advance

* RE: question about gmfn_to_mfn()
@ 2007-03-23  6:56   ` Guy Zana
From: Guy Zana @ 2007-03-23  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tgh, xen-devel

mfn = machine frame number, it is an index to a page in the real memory of the system.
gmfn = guest's machine frame number and it sometimes called gpfn or just pfn.
Guests have a translation table between their own virtualized pseudo physical memory and the real machine memory -> this is exactly what gmfn_to_mfn does.
Pfn is a generic term that might be used in all kind of situations so you should understand from the context.

Guy.

@ 2007-03-23 10:22     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2007-03-23 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Zana, tgh, xen-devel

GPFN is guest machine frame number. It equals GPFN for fully-translated
(e.g., HVM guests). It equals MFN for ordinary PV guests which maintain
their own p2m translation table.

 -- Keir

@ 2007-03-26  1:09       ` tgh
From: tgh @ 2007-03-26  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Guy Zana, xen-devel

Thank you all for all replys

In the HVM ,xen maintain guestos p2m table ,while in the paravirt ,guest
maintain its own p2m,is it right?

Then in the paravirt case, if a VM's memory maxsize is 512M,and it is
allocated 256M by "xm mem-set ",and it maybe only use 128M for running
its OS and application , then what does its v2p table(or it is v2m talbe
,I am not for sure) and p2m table look like in the aspect of size? and
what about guestOS's mem_map size,is it 512M or 256M or 128M or
something else?

another confusion for me is how does guestOS maitain its p2m table
(linux has the v2p table ,but not p2m table),and what about the working
procession for these tables?

could you help me
Thanks in advance

Keir Fraser 写道: