* need help about CPU offline/hotplug in Xen Unstable
@ 2009-05-12 14:47 Ting Shen
From: Ting Shen @ 2009-05-12 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I've noticed this section in Xen 3.4 News(
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2009/03/02/msg004800.html):

CPU offline/hotplug: Xen 3.4 can offline

physical CPUs on CPU-core granularity.
CPU hotplugging works on CPU granularity.
It's meant as an recover-action for the case
of machine-check errors. This feature
requires Dom0 support to utilize it.
This feature has been almost tested

on Intel-CPUs only.

Then I downloaded the stable version from xen.org and installed.
But since the document is not updated, I don't know the detail method to
offline a physical CPU.

Can anyone give me the hint? Thanks very much!

--
Yours Sincerely,
Ting Shen

* Re: need help about CPU offline/hotplug in Xen Unstable
@ 2009-05-12 15:02 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2009-05-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ting Shen, xen-devel

On 12/05/2009 15:47, "Ting Shen" <christieshum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I downloaded the stable version from xen.org <http://xen.org>  and
> installed.
> But since the document is not updated, I don't know the detail method to
> offline a physical CPU.

It's available as a library function (xc_cpu_offline) but not actually
plumbed into a xm command, or other tool.

 -- Keir

* RE: need help about CPU offline/hotplug in Xen Unstable
@ 2009-05-13  2:01   ` Jiang, Yunhong
From: Jiang, Yunhong @ 2009-05-13  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser, Ting Shen, xen-devel

We have a tools to achieve that (i.e. xm command). But as Xen tree is closed now, so we are waiting for it be open again and will send it out.

--jyh

xen-devel-bounces@lists.xensource.com wrote:
> On 12/05/2009 15:47, "Ting Shen" <christieshum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then I downloaded the stable version from xen.org <http://xen.org>
>> and installed. But since the document is not updated, I don't know
>> the detail method to offline a physical CPU.
>
> It's available as a library function (xc_cpu_offline) but not actually
> plumbed into a xm command, or other tool.
>
> -- Keir

* Re: Re: need help about CPU offline/hotplug in Xen Unstable
@ 2009-05-13  4:29   ` ChristieShum
From: ChristieShum @ 2009-05-13  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Thanks a lot.
Is there a sample or tutorial for how to implement the offline process
using this library?

@ 2009-05-13  4:55     ` Ke, Liping
From: Ke, Liping @ 2009-05-13  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ChristieShum, Xen-devel

please try below test code piece. Hope it could help you.

Thanks& Regards,
Criping

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <xenctrl.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[] )
{
    int cpu, xc_id;
    if ( argc < 2) {
        printf("Please input offline CPU-id\n");
        exit(0);
    }
    cpu = atoi(argv[1]);
    printf("Offline CPU %d\n", cpu);
    xc_id = xc_interface_open();
    xc_cpu_offline(xc_id, cpu);
    printf("CPU offlined\n");
    xc_interface_close(xc_id);
    return 0;
}

________________________________

@ 2009-05-13  5:40       ` Ting Shen
From: Ting Shen @ 2009-05-13  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ke, Liping; +Cc: Xen-devel

Yes, It works well. Thank you very much indeed!

--
Yours Sincerely,
Ting Shen

* need help about CPU offline/hotplug in Xen Unstable
@ 2009-05-12 14:44 沈霆
From: 沈霆 @ 2009-05-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel