* Contributing, how it works?
@ 2023-05-05 17:17 Frédéric Martinsons
From: Frédéric Martinsons @ 2023-05-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hello list

I'm wondering if there are documentations on how contribution are managed
for the project.

I try to find some but didn't manage to. There are easily reachable doc
about how to contribute of course (how to make patches, fixe your identity,
send mail via git... etc) but I didn't find what I usually find on other
open source project (CONTRIBUTING.md file most of the time) like
  - what are the tests do should I run before submitting (I learnt by
practice about test image or bitbake selftest for example) ?
  - is there a specific configuration that I should test before submitting
(poky is ok, or should I also test another distro)?
  - does some commit writing rules exist ? (some projects want commits to
begin with a prefix, usually the software component that is modified by the
patch for example)
 - what are the coding rules you should follow, if any? (having common
coding rules helps greatly the review of patches, pylint for python code
for example, and I saw there are some bitbake recipes linter from meta-sca
layer)

Long story short, I really would like to know what are the different steps
a patch should go through before being merged into master (and as a side
question, what are the steps for a patch to be backported into one of the
LTS branch).

I'm deeply sorry if all these questions are obvious to you and have been
already answered somewhere, in that case, please just give me the link.

I recently started to contribute to yocto / oe and I think it will help me
to make better contributions if I know more of how it works "under the
hood".

Best regards.