* Points to consider while moving to new yocto versions
@ 2021-01-25  8:07 amaya jindal
From: amaya jindal @ 2021-01-25  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, yocto

Hi All,

We are planning to move to New yocto from current one that is krogoth yocto
to some updated one. We are not thinking to move to gates-garth or some
other major release but the releases than can have easily support for arm.

Please support and help.

Points need to take care to port to new yocto version.

Regards,
Rohit

* Re: [yocto] Points to consider while moving to new yocto versions
@ 2021-01-25  9:24 ` Erik Boto
From: Erik Boto @ 2021-01-25  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amaya jindal; +Cc: yocto, yocto

Hi,

I'd start by looking at the relevant documentation section,
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#general-migration-considerations.
There you can also find a per-release summary of changes that are
worth knowing when moving to that release.

Moving from krogoth to e.g. gatesgarth is quite a jump, so I'd expect
that it might require some effort. If you don't intend to follow along
new version, you might want to consider using dunfell which is the
current LTS version.

Cheers,
Erik

@ 2021-01-25 12:46 ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2021-01-25 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amaya jindal, yocto, yocto

Hi,

My comments are in-line

On 25/01/2021 10:07, amaya jindal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are planning to move to New yocto from current one that is krogoth
> yocto to some updated one.

I would consider it "best practice" to somewhat try to stay up to date
with recent yocto versions and plan for this from the beginning of your
project.

What I mean is to have a "stable release" and a "next release" which is
being used in your nightly builds and tests.

This will make it significantly easier to make version upgrades.

> We are not thinking to move to gates-garth or
> some other major release but the releases than can have easily support
> for arm.

I am not sure what you mean by that?

Which versions make it easier/more difficult to support arm?

It's more a question of which chip/kernel/boot loader,...

> Please support and help.
>
> Points need to take care to port to new yocto version.

Ssince you use a completely outdated and end of life version[1] it might
require quite some effort to update, but through pain we learn ;)

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases

Which chip do you use?

Is it supported by an upstream kernel/boot loader?

Which (additional) layers do you use?

Are these layers supported by the same version as the Yocto version you
want to move to?

How about your own recipes?

Are they compatible with upstream yocto?

> Regards,
> Rohit

Regards,

Robert

* Re: [yocto] Points to consider while moving to new yocto versions
@ 2021-01-27  9:08   ` amaya jindal
From: amaya jindal @ 2021-01-27  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.berger.yocto.user; +Cc: yocto, yocto

Thankyou for your comments and guidance.

Currently i am trying to first move from krogoth version of yocto to rocko
version first that will suffice our requirements but i need to understand
whether any major difference is there in gcc 4.9.3 vs gcc 6.4. As krogoth
is usin gcc 4.9.3 /5.3 recipe but rocko is using 6.4/7.x as recipe for gcc
source compilation. Please guide.

Regards,
Rohit Jindal

@ 2021-01-27 10:10     ` Martin Jansa