* dev manual definition of "Image" is totally wrong
@ 2014-07-25 17:47 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-07-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#yocto-project-terms

the definition of "Image" refers to the generated artifacts of a
build, whereas the standard usage (as typified by the link) more
correctly refers to things like core-image-minimal.

  i'll let someone higher up the food chain resolve that.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: dev manual definition of "Image" is totally wrong
@ 2014-07-25 18:39 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-07-25 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   here:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#yocto-project-terms
>
> the definition of "Image" refers to the generated artifacts of a
> build, whereas the standard usage (as typified by the link) more
> correctly refers to things like core-image-minimal.

core-image-minimal is just a name/type of image and image is a
generated artifact ( output result ) of a build using OE

@ 2014-07-25 18:43 ` Rudolf Streif
From: Rudolf Streif @ 2014-07-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

>   here:
>

> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#yocto-project-terms
>
> the definition of "Image" refers to the generated artifacts of a
> build, whereas the standard usage (as typified by the link) more
> correctly refers to things like core-image-minimal.

The term "image" is somewhat overloaded and if not detailed context
dependent. Image at least could be a "kernel image" or a "root file system
image". In the context of YP the term typically refers to a root file
system image of which core-image-minimal is an instance.

:rjs

* Re: dev manual definition of "Image" is totally wrong
@ 2014-07-26 11:12   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-07-26 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Streif; +Cc: Yocto discussion list