* Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2017-05-26 11:05 Gerard van den Bosch
From: Gerard van den Bosch @ 2017-05-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I have build my vendor custom kernel 2.6.20 with yocto daisy.
Daisy is used because seems to be last release supporting this old kernel.

I tried building core-image-minimal and core-image-base.

The kernel boots and the rootfs is mounted but then I get:

"Warning: unable to open an initial console."

I found on the internet this is because "/dev/console" doesn't exists.
The dev folder in my generated rootfs is empty.

On internet found can do the following commands:
"mknod -m 600 /dev/console c 5 1 "
"mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3"

But if this is the problem how do I add this to my recipe?
Or is there a proper way to populate this devices?

Cheers,
Gerard

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2017-05-26 11:27 ` Andrea Adami
From: Andrea Adami @ 2017-05-26 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerard van den Bosch; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Gerard van den Bosch
<gvandenbosch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have build my vendor custom kernel 2.6.20 with yocto daisy.
> Daisy is used because seems to be last release supporting this old kernel.
>
> I tried building core-image-minimal and core-image-base.
>
> The kernel boots and the rootfs is mounted but then I get:
>
> "Warning: unable to open an initial console."
>

> I found on the internet this is because "/dev/console" doesn't exists.
> The dev folder in my generated rootfs is empty.
>
> On internet found can do the following commands:
> "mknod -m 600 /dev/console c 5 1 "
> "mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3"
>
> But if this is the problem how do I add this to my recipe?
> Or is there a proper way to populate this devices?
>
> Cheers,
> Gerard

Hello Gerard,

if your old kernel lacks devtmpfs you need a "device table".
You need to set at least
IMAGE_DEVICE_TABLES = "files/device_table-minimal.txt"

This is a default set in image.bbclass before and after daisy...dunno
what's happened with this release.

Cheers
Andrea

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2017-05-26 13:52   ` Gerard van den Bosch
From: Gerard van den Bosch @ 2017-05-26 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Adami; +Cc: yocto

Hello Andrea,

I have tried to add the line to my machine config:
IMAGE_DEVICE_TABLES = "files/device_table-minimal.txt"

But this didn't help, then I looked a bit further and also tried to set the
following:

USE_DEVFS="0"
VIRTUAL_RUNTIME_dev_manager = "mdev"

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to change anything.

Cheers,
Gerard

@ 2017-05-26 14:20     ` Ayoub Zaki
From: Ayoub Zaki @ 2017-05-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Gerard,

did you try to set CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y in your Kernel config ?

Cheers

--

Ayoub Zaki

ayoub.zaki@embexus.com
Mobile: +49(0)176-62901545
https://embexus.com

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2017-05-26 14:27       ` Gerard van den Bosch
From: Gerard van den Bosch @ 2017-05-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ayoub Zaki; +Cc: yocto

Hello Ayoub,

The kernel is quite old 2.6.20 and this variable is not available in the
config.
On the internet I saw this is only introduced with kernel version 2.6.32.

Cheers,
Gerard

@ 2017-05-26 14:35         ` Ayoub Zaki
From: Ayoub Zaki @ 2017-05-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerard van den Bosch; +Cc: yocto

Hi Gerard,

indeed your Kernel it's quite outdated.

you can try to add a recipe like that in your image :

SUMMARY = "basic initramfs image init script"
LICENSE = "MIT"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
"file://${COREBASE}/meta/COPYING.MIT;md5=3da9cfbcb788c80a0384361b4de20420"
SRC_URI = "file://init-boot.sh"

S = "${WORKDIR}"

do_install() {
         install -d ${D}${base_sbindir}
         install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/init-boot.sh ${D}${base_sbindir}/init
}

do_install_append() {
         install -d ${D}/dev
         mknod -m 622 ${D}/dev/console c 5 1
         mknod -m 666 ${D}/dev/null c 1 3
}

inherit allarch

FILES_${PN} += "/dev /sbin/init "

Regards,

Ayoub

--

Ayoub Zaki

ayoub.zaki@embexus.com
Mobile: +49(0)176-62901545
https://embexus.com

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2017-05-26 15:07           ` Gerard van den Bosch
From: Gerard van den Bosch @ 2017-05-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ayoub Zaki; +Cc: yocto

Hello Ayoub,

Thank you very much.

Your script creates the /dev/console and the /dev/null in my rootfs and now
I keep getting console data.

Cheers,
Gerard

@ 2010-10-25 21:30 Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2010-10-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-console

Hi,

I'm trying to write a console/tty driver, and I need help.  When the kernel
boots, I can see that console output is working through my driver.  However,
after the initial kernel boot, my console stops working.  Here are the relevant
parts of the boot log:

Using P4080DS HV machine description
Memory CAM mapping: 256/256 Mb, residual: 0Mb
Linux version 2.6.34-6506-00741-gbd4ea2b-dirty (b04825@efes) (gcc version 4.4.1
(Sourcery G++ Lite 4.4-194) ) #33 SMP Mon Oct 25 16:20:20 CDT 2010
Found initrd at 0xc1300000:0xc3b00000
Kernel command line: console=ttyEHV
console [ttyEHV0] enabled
NET: Registered protocol family 10
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 15
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
Warning: unable to open an initial console. -19
RAMDISK: gzip image found at block 0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly on device 1:0.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 236k init

And this is where it stops.

As you can see, I have a console, and then I lose it.  What could cause this to
happen?

On the surface, it appears that init can't open /dev/console, but I can't figure
out what the root cause is.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2009-09-30 17:44 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2009-09-30 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven A. DuChene; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:05:24 -0400 (EDT)
"Steven A. DuChene" <linux-clusters@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I tried various combonations of turning off the framebuffer
> support all together and then turning it back on with various
> drivers (nvidia or vesa vga) but still I get the same message
> about "Warning: unable to open an initial console."
>
> Anything else I should be looking at besides the graphics support
> part of the drivers section of the kernel config?
>
> Again this is a fairly standard PCChips A13G motherboard with
> NVidia chipset and AMD Athlon 3600+ CPU that works fine with the
> regular distro supplied FC9 kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64) and
> I have the x86_64 version of FC9 installed.

on FC9 ....
here's what to do on a successful boot

mkdir /tmp/mnt2
mount /dev/sdaX /tmp/mnt
(where the X is your root device, if you use lvm, mount the lvm thing
there)
cp -a /dev/console /tmp/mnt/dev/console
umount /tmp/mnt2

* Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console
@ 2009-09-30 17:24 Steven A. DuChene
From: Steven A. DuChene @ 2009-09-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Well, according to the research I did looking for my initial
console error message on google it seems it is not a kernel
compile issue but rather an issue with the kernel needing to
find /dev/console before udev is run to create the various
device entries in /dev

To work around this I created an initrd file for my kernel
even though I have all the needed disk device drivers and
filesystems drivers in my kernel. Once I did that and put
it into place my new kernel booted up just fine.

@ 2009-09-30 17:05 Steven A. DuChene

From: Tom Strader @ 2007-04-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: young dave; +Cc: linux-kernel

The problem appears to be that the uart driver is not assigning the
port.  In uart_get() located in drivers/serial/serial_core.c the code
tries to access state->port but it does not appear to exist.  Where is
the port supposed to get added/setup?  Should this happen in the driver
init or does the kernel add the ports to the driver after init?

Uart_get knows the correct driver name drv->driver_name = "PXA serial"
and drv->dev_name = "ttyS", but the drv->state->port does not exist.
Where should the port be added?  The port info exists in
drivers/serial/pxa.c but I cant find where its initialized.  Any help
would be great.
Thanks,
Tom

From: young dave @ 2007-04-04  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Strader; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2007-04-03 18:35       ` Tom Strader
From: Tom Strader @ 2007-04-03 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: young dave; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2007-04-03  1:34     ` young dave
From: young dave @ 2007-04-03  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Strader; +Cc: Chris Wedgwood, linux-kernel

Hi,
Check if your U-boot enabled the udev, try diable the udev, then using
mknod to create the /dev/console.

Regards
dave

@ 2007-04-02 23:20   ` Tom Strader
From: Tom Strader @ 2007-04-02 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wedgwood; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2007-04-02 22:49 ` Chris Wedgwood
From: Chris Wedgwood @ 2007-04-02 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Strader; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2007-04-02 19:04 Tom Strader
From: Tom Strader @ 2007-04-02 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have seen quite a few posts regarding unable to open an initial console, but my system seems to have the necessary things in place so I come looking for help.  I have not yet subscribed to this mailing list so please CC the responses to me.  Quick summary before we get to console output, this is running on a PXA270 with 16MB flash at 0x00000000, 128MB RAM at 0xa0000000.  I am able to bring up U-boot and run ls /dev and the console appears there.  The only components on the board are memory so I am just going for a basic boot for now.  I guess my question is, what are some of the reasons for the console not to start.  Also just as a side note, the kernel appears to continue past "Warning: unable to open an initial console." And find /sbin/init but then goes to an idle loop.  With that said here is the output so hopefully we can fix it.  I am fairly new to linux so if I missed anything let me know.

Thanks,
Tom.Strader@Xilinx.com

U-Boot 1.1.6 (Mar 30 2007 - 14:52:10)

U-Boot code: A1700000 -> A17201BC  BSS: -> A175240C
RAM Configuration:
Bank #0: a0000000 64 MB
Bank #1: a4000000  0 kB
Bank #2: a8000000  0 kB
Bank #3: ac000000  0 kB
Flash: 16 MB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
## Booting image at 00040000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.17-pcm027-3
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    754152 Bytes = 736.5 kB
   Load Address: a0008000
   Entry Point:  a0008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux................................................... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.6.17-pcm027-3 (tstrader@xsjcfs20611) (gcc version 4.0.2) #7 PREEMPT Mon Apr 2 10:16:43 PDT 2007
CPU: XScale-PXA270 [69054117] revision 7 (ARMv5TE)
Machine: LogicPD PXA270 Card Engine
Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
On node 0 totalpages: 16384
  DMA zone: 16384 pages, LIFO batch:3
Run Mode clock: 91.00MHz (*7)
Turbo Mode clock: 182.00MHz (*2.0, inactive)
Memory clock: 91.00MHz (/1)
System bus clock: 45.50MHz
CPU0: D VIVT undefined 5 cache
CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 loglevel=8 mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:256k(uboot)ro,4096k(kernel),5m(uRamdisk),
-(jffs2_root) root=/dev/mtdblock3 rootfstype=jffs2
PID hash table entries: 512 (order: 9, 2048 bytes)
Console: colour dummy device 80x30
Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Memory: 64MB 0MB 0MB 0MB = 64MB total
Memory: 63268KB available (1256K code, 261K data, 76K init)
Calibrating delay loop... 90.52 BogoMIPS (lpj=452608)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
Device 'sa1100-rtc' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-i2s' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-i2c.0' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-ir' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-uart.2' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-uart.1' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-uart.0' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-fb' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-udc' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Device 'pxa2xx-mci' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed.
Initialising gpio device class.
gpio: Unrecognized option ""
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2003 Red Hat, Inc.
fuse init (API version 7.6)
io scheduler noop registered (default)
RAMDISK driver initialized: 8 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
physmap flash device: 1000000 at 0
phys_mapped_flash: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank
 Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table at 0x0040
Using buffer write method
phys_mapped_flash: CFI does not contain boot bank location. Assuming top.
number of CFI chips: 1
cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness.
4 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device phys_mapped_flash
Creating 4 MTD partitions on "phys_mapped_flash":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "uboot"
mtd: Giving out device 0 to uboot
0x00040000-0x00440000 : "kernel"
mtd: Giving out device 1 to kernel
0x00440000-0x00940000 : "uRamdisk"
mtd: Giving out device 2 to uRamdisk
0x00940000-0x01000000 : "jffs2_root"
mtd: Giving out device 3 to jffs2_root
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
i2c /dev entries driver
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a1c: 0x3e18 instead
Empty flash at 0x003c7a28 ends at 0x003c7a2c
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a38: 0x3e38 instead
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a3c: 0x3e38 instead
Empty flash at 0x003c7a48 ends at 0x003c7a4c
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a58: 0x3e58 instead
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a5c: 0x3e58 instead
Empty flash at 0x003c7a68 ends at 0x003c7a6c
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a78: 0x3e78 instead
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a7c: 0x3e78 instead
Empty flash at 0x003c7a88 ends at 0x003c7a8c
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a98: 0x3e98 instead
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7a9c: 0x3e98 instead
Empty flash at 0x003c7aa8 ends at 0x003c7aac
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x003c7ab8: 0x3eb8 instead
Further such events for this erase block will not be printed
Empty flash at 0x003c7ac8 ends at 0x003c7acc
Empty flash at 0x003cffe8 ends at 0x003cffec

@ 2000-11-02 17:33 ` Matthew Locke
From: Matthew Locke @ 2000-11-02 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Jones; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

> Any ideas?  I took a look at the /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx/target
> directory, I can find a "dev" directory but there is nothing in it.  Is
> there some RPM I need to install?  I think that I have
> downloaded/installed all of the RPM's from the mvista ftp site.

either you missed an RPM or you were not root when you installed. try
installing the filesystem RPM again.

Matthew Locke
Montavista Software

* Warning: unable to open an initial console.
@ 2000-11-02 15:11 John Jones
From: John Jones @ 2000-11-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

I am getting the error: Warning: unable to open an initial console.

When I boot the 2.2.14 kernel on my Embedded Planet clcc 860t board
using the mvista hardhat software.

Any ideas?  I took a look at the /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx/target
directory, I can find a "dev" directory but there is nothing in it.  Is
there some RPM I need to install?  I think that I have
downloaded/installed all of the RPM's from the mvista ftp site.

Any help would be appreciated.

-John

--
<Help further Linux by signing the Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html>