* Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-02-28  7:15 Lei YU
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lei YU @ 2019-02-28  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin

As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
starting from https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/

Code reviews and tests are welcome.

To test the feature:
1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout
2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
    ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be generated
   This tar.gz will be used to do the code update.
3. Do code update, gard reset, factory reset the same as VPNOR, described in
   [host-code-update.md][2] and [REST-cheatsheet.md][3]

I only tested it on Romulus, and will test it on Palmetto. Hopefully it will
be tested on other OpenPOWER machines before the patches are merged.

Note: image verification feature is not implemented yet.

[1]: https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-February/015104.html
[2]: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/code-update/host-code-update.md
[3]: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/REST-cheatsheet.md

* Re: Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-02-28 23:14 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2019-02-28 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mine, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, at 17:47, Lei YU wrote:
> As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
> support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
> starting from
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/
>
> Code reviews and tests are welcome.
>
> To test the feature:
> 1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout

This is a monstrous nitpick, but any chance we can avoid mixing '-' and '_' in the option
name? I very much prefer just using '-' for visual consistency.

> 2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
>     ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be generated
>    This tar.gz will be used to do the code update.
> 3. Do code update, gard reset, factory reset the same as VPNOR, described in
>    [host-code-update.md][2] and [REST-cheatsheet.md][3]
>
> I only tested it on Romulus, and will test it on Palmetto. Hopefully it will
> be tested on other OpenPOWER machines before the patches are merged.

Awesome work! Thanks for sorting this out.

@ 2019-03-01  0:18 ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2019-03-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin

Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> writes:
> As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
> support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
> starting from https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/
>
> Code reviews and tests are welcome.
>
> To test the feature:
> 1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout
> 2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
>     ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be
> generated

Is this a new format? Why? Where is it documented?

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-03-01  1:19   ` Samuel Mendoza-Jonas
From: Samuel Mendoza-Jonas @ 2019-03-01  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart Smith, Lei YU, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin

On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 11:18 +1100, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> writes:
> > As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
> > support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
> > starting from https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/
> >
> > Code reviews and tests are welcome.
> >
> > To test the feature:
> > 1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout
> > 2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
> >     ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be
> > generated
>
> Is this a new format? Why? Where is it documented?

Looking on gerrit this just appears to be the PNOR and a MANIFEST file in
a tarball. Considering it's just a call to 'tar', having it be generated
by something called 'generate-squashfs' is confusing. I guess this is
because generate-squashfs creates the MANIFEST file?

* Re: Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-03-01  1:48     ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2019-03-01  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Mendoza-Jonas, Lei YU, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin

Samuel Mendoza-Jonas <sam@mendozajonas.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 11:18 +1100, Stewart Smith wrote:
>> Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> writes:
>> > As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
>> > support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
>> > starting from https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/
>> >
>> > Code reviews and tests are welcome.
>> >
>> > To test the feature:
>> > 1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout
>> > 2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
>> >     ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be
>> > generated
>>
>> Is this a new format? Why? Where is it documented?
>>

> Looking on gerrit this just appears to be the PNOR and a MANIFEST file in
> a tarball. Considering it's just a call to 'tar', having it be generated
> by something called 'generate-squashfs' is confusing. I guess this is
> because generate-squashfs creates the MANIFEST file?

Yeah, that sounds odd. The current format is just the pnor file.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-03-01  1:56       ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2019-03-01  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart Smith; +Cc: Samuel Mendoza-Jonas, OpenBMC Maillist, Alexander Amelkin

> >> Is this a new format? Why? Where is it documented?
> >>

> > Looking on gerrit this just appears to be the PNOR and a MANIFEST file in
> > a tarball. Considering it's just a call to 'tar', having it be generated
> > by something called 'generate-squashfs' is confusing. I guess this is
> > because generate-squashfs creates the MANIFEST file?
>
> Yeah, that sounds odd. The current format is just the pnor file.

Yeah, it is a bit odd, I just want to re-use the code in 'generate-squashfs'
to generate a tar that contains MANIFEST and the pnor.
Possibly it could be renamed to `generate-tar`or similar.
Be noted that this file is used to generate Witherspoon's PNOR tarball in
op-build. So renaming it should cause op-build to pick the new name.

* Re: Static layout PNOR support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt
@ 2019-03-01 12:44 ` Alexander A. Filippov
From: Alexander A. Filippov @ 2019-03-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 03:15:17PM +0800, Lei YU wrote:
> As a follow up of [VPNOR discussion][1], the static layout PNOR
> support in openpower-pnor-code-mgmt is implemented and pushed to gerrit
> starting from https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openpower-pnor-code-mgmt/+/18747/
>
> Code reviews and tests are welcome.
>
> To test the feature:
> 1. Pick the above gerrit commits and build with --disable-ubifs_layout
> 2. Generate pnor in static.tar.gz format, by below command:
>     ./generate-squashfs <xxx.pnor>   # xxx.pnor.static.tar.gz will be generated
>    This tar.gz will be used to do the code update.
> 3. Do code update, gard reset, factory reset the same as VPNOR, described in
>    [host-code-update.md][2] and [REST-cheatsheet.md][3]
>
> I only tested it on Romulus, and will test it on Palmetto. Hopefully it will
> be tested on other OpenPOWER machines before the patches are merged.

It's really very nice work! Thanks!

I've tested it on our VESNIN hardware. Some things don't work as expected,
so I am going to add some comments in that regard to Gerrit.

But still, it's very cool.