* Google Summer of Code
@ 2017-02-20  5:29 Matthew Sedam
From: Matthew Sedam @ 2017-02-20  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hello everyone!

My name is Matthew Sedam, and I am interested in Ceph as a Google Summer of
Code project for this summer 2017. I am particularly interested in the
proposed project: CEPH-MGR: SMARTER REWEIGHT-BY-UTILIZATION. Just
introducing myself. Hopefully, I will be posting a link to my GSOC
application and proposal here for feedback very soon.

Matthew Sedam

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2016-03-13 12:24 Shreedhar Manek
From: Shreedhar Manek @ 2016-03-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Dear Developers,
I am a student at IIIT Hyderabad, India. I am interested in
contributing to Ceph by helping add Python3 support.

I have looked at the code base of Ceph on Github and am up for the
challenge that would be making the python files Python3 compatible. I
have chosen this project to work because I am a huge python fan and
this one would require working with Python3 and helping working around
missing functionalities.

Do let me know how I should proceed. I have waited for a week but am
unable to get in touch with the project mentor Josh Durgin via the
email ID given on the Ceph GSoC ideas page.

Thanks,

Shreedhar Manek

* Re: Google Summer of Code
       [not found] ` <CA+jJMxtP+n274AhsXQ23TXYPo8UsXtShjYxwJwwO69e=N1nbnQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-11 13:20   ` Thibault, Daniel
From: Thibault, Daniel @ 2013-04-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau
  Cc: lttng-dev, Couture, Mario, Painchaud, Frederic

From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2013-04-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thibault, Daniel; +Cc: lttng-dev, Couture, Mario, Painchaud, Frederic

Certainly seems worthwhile to me although I never heard about debugfs being
phased out. Could you clarify that point?

Jérémie

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Thibault, Daniel <
Daniel.Thibault@drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

>    The Google Summer of Code LTTng entry (
> http://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013) is
> a promising initiative.  May I propose another little project idea?
>
> Babeltrace support for the debugfs (/sys/kernel/debug/tracing) trace format
>
> Brief explanation:
> Provide a Babeltrace plug-in to allow Babeltrace to read from traces
> created by the debugfs service (/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace).
>
> Expected results: A Babeltrace plug-in, tests, examples and documentation.
>
> Skill level: Easy - Medium
>
> Prerequisite Knowledge: C, OO development
>
> Mentors: ?
>
>    Even if the debugfs tracing facility is destined for eventual
> withdrawal from the Linux kernel, it may be of interest to some to recover
> older traces generated in this way -if only in order to be able to process
> them in the same way as CTF text dumps.  Conversion to the babeltrace text
> format should be fairly straightforward; conversion to CTF would be
> trickier.
>
>    Is this idea worthwhile or worthless?
>
> Daniel U. Thibault
> R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D
> Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
> Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) / Mission Critical
> Cyber Security (MCCS)
> Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) / Systems Protection &
> Countermeasures (SPC)
> 2459 route de la Bravoure
> Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
> CANADA
> Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
> Fax : (418) 844-4538
> NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
> Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
> <http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2013-04-09 15:21 Thibault, Daniel
From: Thibault, Daniel @ 2013-04-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev; +Cc: Painchaud, Frederic, Couture, Mario

@ 2013-02-26 13:35 Ognjen Ikovic
From: Ognjen Ikovic @ 2013-02-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,

I was wondering if there will be some initiative/activities from the
Linux wireless community regarding participation in the Google Summer
of Code?
More particularly, will someone be registering projects related to DFS
support for ath9k based devices?

Regards,
Ognjen Ikovic

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-26 10:41         ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2008-02-26 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:27:57 -0600
Jacob Thebault-Spieker <summatusmentis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Erik Hovland wrote:
>
>  > You would have a better chance of submitting this idea to the Maemo
>  > or Mplayer groups.
>  >
>  > I am not likely to administer the hh.org SoC again this year. So I
>  > can't say whether you should submit your idea there.

That's sad news ;-I.

>  >
>  > E
>  >

> The difference is, I don't feel like this idea really fits with
> MPlayer, and I don't have a Maemo device to test it. I'm sure there's
> some sort of virtualization, but I'm familiar enough with
> OE/Angstrom, that I felt like this would be a good place to start.

If you're still on the idea on the player frontend, then for MPlayer
there's gnome-mplayer, which suits smallscreen devices quite well
(works OOB even on qvga), provides good functionality and is
maintained. That doesn't mean that you can't come up with the idea of
better player, just that it's not the brightest of things which could
be done for GSoC.

> Philip Balister wrote:
>  > What are the deadlines for SoC? I'm not sure if we will have the
>  > infrastructure in place to do direct OE SoC projects this year.
>  > I'll ping the board though.
>  >
>  > Philip
>
> Mentoring Organizations apply between March 3 and March 12, and then
> the students apply later in March, between March 24 and March 31.
> This needs to happen soon, otherwise OE/whatever OE based distro
> won't be able to apply. Perhaps it's partially on me, and not
> bringing this up earlier, but I was kinda waiting for the dates to be
> released.

By comments above I gather that GSoC participation wasn't discussed on
OpenEmbedded e.V. (quoting that just to hint that OE now should have
all bureaucratic infrastructure to participate directly) meeting held
just 2 days ago... Sad again.

OpenMoko participated last year, so may be a good place to hang on. And
there're plenty things to do there, even skipping application-level
stuff. Just let me point to the problem of having a standard device
control daemon, to which OpenMoko people, per their own words, can't
get by years:
http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/2007/11/27/collaboration-launch-on-phoneserver-and-devicedaemon/

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml@gmail.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-26  5:27       ` Jacob Thebault-Spieker
From: Jacob Thebault-Spieker @ 2008-02-26  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Philip Balister wrote:
 > What are the deadlines for SoC? I'm not sure if we will have the
 > infrastructure in place to do direct OE SoC projects this year. I'll
 > ping the board though.
 >
 > Philip

Mentoring Organizations apply between March 3 and March 12, and then the
students apply later in March, between March 24 and March 31. This needs
to happen soon, otherwise OE/whatever OE based distro won't be able to
apply. Perhaps it's partially on me, and not bringing this up earlier,
but I was kinda waiting for the dates to be released.

Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (207) 717-5114

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-26  0:34     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2008-02-26  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Jacob Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> I can see how my idea may not fit openembedded exactly. I guess I just
> decided to try here first, as OE is not only the build-system, but also
> the base for many distros, most of which work closely with OE. If OE is
> not the right place, I will most definitely check with Angstrom, I just
> thought I should check here first. Thanks for the input.

What are the deadlines for SoC? I'm not sure if we will have the
infrastructure in place to do direct OE SoC projects this year. I'll
ping the board though.

Philip

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3303 bytes --]

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-26  0:07 ` Erik Hovland
From: Erik Hovland @ 2008-02-26  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 01:15:51PM -0600, Jacob Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> I'm a first year Computer Science major interested in participating in
> Google Summer of Code. What's the process for doing this in OE? Is there a
> process? Who should I talk to about mentoring? Are there any projects that
> I could do? I'm relatively familiar with OE, specifically Angstrom, as I
> have a two Zaurii, a C3200 and an SL-5500.
>
> I don't know of anything specific about OE that's not fully functional,
> although, one project I was thinking about was a GUI video player, as a
> frontend for mplayer. This would incorporate the accelerated video that
> some of the Zaurii have, and would be full screen. Ideally, it'd be able to
> recognize that the screen is flipped, and potentially still allow for
> landscape mode(where the zaurus would be in vertical position, but the
> video would play in landscape/widescreen mode).

You would have a better chance of submitting this idea to the Maemo
or Mplayer groups.

I am not likely to administer the hh.org SoC again this year. So I can't
say whether you should submit your idea there.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik@hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/
PGP/GPG public key available on request

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-25 20:42   ` Jacob Thebault-Spieker
From: Jacob Thebault-Spieker @ 2008-02-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Jacob Thebault-Spieker
> <summatusmentis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm a first year Computer Science major interested in participating in
>>  Google Summer of Code. What's the process for doing this in OE? Is there
>>  a process? Who should I talk to about mentoring? Are there any projects
>>  that I could do? I'm relatively familiar with OE, specifically Angstrom,
>>  as I have a two Zaurii, a C3200 and an SL-5500.
>>
>>  I don't know of anything specific about OE that's not fully functional,
>>  although, one project I was thinking about was a GUI video player, as a
>>  frontend for mplayer.
>
> Your idea sounds great, and there happens a lot of
> kernel/drivers/library/application programming, but your idea does not
> fit OpenEmbedded itself very well, because OpenEmbedded is the build
> system.
>
> However, one of the developers or maintainers might be interested to
> mentor you, who knows.
>
> I would suggest to also ask around elsewhere though, at least bring
> this up on the related handhelds mailing lists, angstrom might already
> be more on topic then oe.
>
> Good luck!!

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-25 20:40 ` Jelle de Jong
From: Jelle de Jong @ 2008-02-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Jacob Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> I'm a first year Computer Science major interested in participating in
> Google Summer of Code. What's the process for doing this in OE? Is there
> a process? Who should I talk to about mentoring? Are there any projects
> that I could do? I'm relatively familiar with OE, specifically Angstrom,
> as I have a two Zaurii, a C3200 and an SL-5500.
>
> I don't know of anything specific about OE that's not fully functional,
> although, one project I was thinking about was a GUI video player, as a
> frontend for mplayer. This would incorporate the accelerated video that
> some of the Zaurii have, and would be full screen. Ideally, it'd be able
> to recognize that the screen is flipped, and potentially still allow for
> landscape mode(where the zaurus would be in vertical position, but the
> video would play in landscape/widescreen mode).
>
> This is just a preliminary idea, I don't know how feasible it actually
> is. Thanks

Hi Jacob,

Just to go a little further on your idea..

Why don't create a UMPC usable mobile player. You can use existing
technology's and software.

I am wishing for somebody to fix totem to only use gtk libs and
gstreamer libs, and to improve to gui a bit to render better on smaller
screens.

Al the building blocks are there it would be great for the complete
community if you can fix these issues and create a nice and molecular
base platform that use totem and gstreamer.

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-25 20:36 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2008-02-25 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Jacob Thebault-Spieker
<summatusmentis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a first year Computer Science major interested in participating in
>  Google Summer of Code. What's the process for doing this in OE? Is there
>  a process? Who should I talk to about mentoring? Are there any projects
>  that I could do? I'm relatively familiar with OE, specifically Angstrom,
>  as I have a two Zaurii, a C3200 and an SL-5500.
>
>  I don't know of anything specific about OE that's not fully functional,
>  although, one project I was thinking about was a GUI video player, as a
>  frontend for mplayer.

Your idea sounds great, and there happens a lot of
kernel/drivers/library/application programming, but your idea does not
fit OpenEmbedded itself very well, because OpenEmbedded is the build
system.

However, one of the developers or maintainers might be interested to
mentor you, who knows.

I would suggest to also ask around elsewhere though, at least bring
this up on the related handhelds mailing lists, angstrom might already
be more on topic then oe.

Good luck!!
--
Leon

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2008-02-25 19:15 Jacob Thebault-Spieker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jacob Thebault-Spieker @ 2008-02-25 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

@ 2007-03-04  8:55 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-03-04  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Prosnitz; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Benjamin Prosnitz wrote:
> Will KVM be participating in Google's Summer of Code?

Excellent idea.  The only snag I see is that it's difficult to what will
be needed for kvm by summer.

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2007-03-03 15:10 Benjamin Prosnitz
From: Benjamin Prosnitz @ 2007-03-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Will KVM be participating in Google's Summer of Code?

I am reasonably familiar with KVM's sourcecode and would love to help
out during the summer.

Thanks,
Benjamin Prosnitz