* Problem imaging a hard drive
@ 2016-11-25 18:44 Ronald Oakes
From: Ronald Oakes @ 2016-11-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I've been trying to use the directions at
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/How_do_I#Q:_How_do_I_put_Yocto_on_a_hard_drive.3F
to create a boot drive based on my build.

However, I keep ending up with my root being at /media/ads/, with two big
issues: my static IP address isn't assigned, and my path is messed up
leaving my applications not on it by default.

The one main difference from the directions is that I'm using grub2-install
instead of grub-install. This is because I'm using a current RedHat system
for development due to a requirement of my client.

I will note that at least one of my added kernel modules is being loaded,
since I can see related messages in the console/demesg log.

Ron Oakes

* Re: Problem imaging a hard drive
@ 2016-11-25 22:35 ` Ronald Oakes
From: Ronald Oakes @ 2016-11-25 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Well, I partially solved my problem.  It turns out I had a CD in the
computer with an old boot image on it that was loading and causing
great confusion.

Now, grub appears to be loading OK, but doesn't look like it has a
valid configuration to actually boot the image loaded onto the hard
drive.

My commands (based on the link in my first email) were:
- Format the hard drive using mkfs.ex4 -L <name>
- Mount it (usually by just unplugging and replugging the USB to SATA adaptor)
- Copy the data from the mounted image file using cp -aV
- Add grub using "grub2-install --recheck
--boot-directory=/run/media/ron/<label>boot /dev/sdc"

My educated guess is that either I'm missing something in my
grub2-install command, or there is something missing in my build or
build configuration that is causing the grub configuration to not be
picked up when or where needed..

Ron Oakes

@ 2016-11-28 23:56   ` Ronald Oakes
From: Ronald Oakes @ 2016-11-28 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)