* [Powertop] Why tunables settings no permanent?
@ 2014-03-22 18:50 Bill Vyzas
From: Bill Vyzas @ 2014-03-22 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Hi all,

I have a question about the tunables section. Why the changes from bad to
good are not permanent?

I don't think it is something very hard to implement, the popular solution
on the web is to create a text file with the appropriate commands and have
it run every time in the login. I suspect that by making some of the
changes permanent you are essentially changing kernel settings so possibly
you run the risk of a broken kernel.

Thanks

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 529 bytes --]

* Re: [Powertop] Why tunables settings no permanent?
@ 2014-04-01  4:08 James D. Howard
From: James D. Howard @ 2014-04-01  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Bill V. asked about the persistence of settings determined by - or set
using - PowerTop.  Auke K. replied that it is not designed that way,
because the Linux distribution is supposed to "properly tune your system
for you".

Boy, I wish that were true more often. It appears that aggregated PowerTop
reports could help Linux distribution engineers identify some consistently
non-optimal settings, and guide repairs or install-time setup.  Have any
attempts been made - to your knowledge - to provide such feedback to the
distributions?  Through what methods?
___
James D. Howard, jhoward(a)alumni.caltech.edu

* Re: [Powertop] Why tunables settings no permanent?
@ 2014-03-25  9:35 Bill Vyzas
From: Bill Vyzas @ 2014-03-25  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

After promt I am making this thread public so others can participate and
learn from it.

On 24 March 2014 16:40, Kok, Auke-jan H <auke-jan.h.kok(a)intel.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Bill Vyzas <vizasb(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question about the tunables section. Why the changes from bad to
> > good are not permanent?
> >
> > I don't think it is something very hard to implement, the popular
> solution
> > on the web is to create a text file with the appropriate commands and
> have
> > it run every time in the login. I suspect that by making some of the
> changes
> > permanent you are essentially changing kernel settings so possibly you
> run
> > the risk of a broken kernel.
>
> This question has been answered many times on this list, please search
> the mailing list archives for the full rationale and discussion.
>
> Short answer: Your Linux distribution is supposed to properly tune
> your system for you. PowerTOP is not an end-user tool that you should
> be running every day.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Auke

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1540 bytes --]

* Re: [Powertop] Why tunables settings no permanent?
@ 2014-03-24 16:40 Kok, Auke-jan H
From: Kok, Auke-jan H @ 2014-03-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop