* QT5 application NOT generating core dump upon receiving segmentation fault
@ 2015-12-15 10:27 Ankur Tyagi
From: Ankur Tyagi @ 2015-12-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I am running a QT5 based application on TI AM335x EVM kit. I am using
meta-arago daisy configuration.

My system is configured to generate core dump and core dumps are generated
whenever application receives segmentation fault (expected).

But when my QT5 based application received SIGSEGV, then no core dump is
generated. It dies without "Segmentation fault" message on stdout.

To debug this further, I added nullptr dereference in my application main()
before QApplication object is created and when executed, core dump was
created.
When I moved nullptr dereference after QApplication object is created, then
no core dump was created. Application died without any message.

So it seems QT is handling SIGSEGV and not allowing to create core dump.

Is it expected ? I believe not. What wrong am I doing and how to fix this ?

thanks
Ankur

* Re: QT5 application NOT generating core dump upon receiving segmentation fault
@ 2015-12-15 10:59 ` Julien Brianceau (jbriance)
From: Julien Brianceau (jbriance) @ 2015-12-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

What exact version of Qt5 and which Qt QPA platform do you use with your kit ?

A quick grep shows this: http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/src/corelib/kernel/qcrashhandler.cpp?h=5.5#n409, it could explain your issue if it is called.

Julien

@ 2015-12-15 11:05   ` Ankur Tyagi
From: Ankur Tyagi @ 2015-12-15 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I am using Qt5.4.1 with eglfs QPA.

Is there a way to avoid qt signal handler during compilation ? I would like
avoid patching Qt code.

Thanks
Ankur

@ 2015-12-15 11:25     ` Julien Brianceau (jbriance)
From: Julien Brianceau (jbriance) @ 2015-12-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Just to be sure, can you try the following export before launching your Qt app on your target:

    export QT_QPA_ENABLE_TERMINAL_KEYBOARD=1

It could workaround the signal handler installation, cf. http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/src/platformsupport/fbconvenience/qfbvthandler.cpp?h=5.4#n71

Julien

@ 2015-12-15 23:37       ` Ankur Tyagi
From: Ankur Tyagi @ 2015-12-15 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Julien,

I am getting core dumps after exporting QT_QPA_ENABLE_TERMINAL_KEYBOARD=1

Many thanks for your help.

After going through void qt_signal_handler(int sig), I also noticed that if
I don't export QT_QPA_ENABLE_TERMINAL_KEYBOARD but export
QT_CRASH_OUTPUT=/home/coredump.log , then also there is no core dump in
/home/coredump.log
What else am I missing here ?​

regards
Ankur

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a
fruit salad"

@ 2015-12-15 15:52 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2015-12-15 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankur Tyagi; +Cc: meta-arago

Sounds like you have a size limit for core dumps:
http://bfy.tw/3IS1

--
Denys

@ 2015-12-15 10:26 Ankur Tyagi