* Re: Raid5 to another raid level??
@ 2011-09-07 16:26 Michael Busby
       [not found] ` <CAFsPQ__YdDnJw=qgLAq10vRbNPy4B_EhkV4FU0JAfovxnw9TxQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Michael Busby @ 2011-09-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neilb; +Cc: john.robinson, linux-raid

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I am now running a 4 disk raid5
soon to be upgraded to a 8 disk raid6

-- Sent from my HP TouchPadOn 7 Sep 2011 02:08, <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:11:57 +0100 Michael Busby <michael.a.busby@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am using the 3.0.0 kernel so that should not be a issue, have just
> upgraded mdadm on my box to 3.2.2 from 3.1.4
>
> would i be right in thinking that to get from raid0 to raid5 i would
> first have to change from raid0 to raid4 and add the extra disk for
> parity, once i am at this level i would need a command to get the
> parity data striped over the raid5 and not in a single disk like raid4
> or maybe there is a way to go from raid0 direct to raid5 by adding the
> extra disk and then having the parity data created and spread over the
> disks....

(I vaguely recall already replying to this but find no evidence - apologies
if this is a duplicate).

RAID0 to RAID5 does happen in two stages but only one rebuild is needed.
mdadm should make it all 'just work'.
i.e.
  mdadm -G /dev/md0 -l 5 --raid-devices=4 --add /dev/sdf \
  --backup-file=/root/md0-backup

This will:
   - convert the array from RAID0 to RAID5 in a 'parity-last' layout, which
     is really the same thing as RAID4.
   - 'freeze' recovery
   - add /dev/sdf as a spare
   - request a reshape to change the layout from 'parity-last' to
     'left-symetric'
   - 'unfreeze' recovery

Then the kernel will notice that a reshape is needed and allowed, will add
the spare and start reshaping the array and creating parity at the same time.

So you don't need an intermediate state of a complete RAID4 - a degraded
RAID4 is sufficient and handled automatically.

NeilBrown

@ 2011-09-01 23:50 Michael Busby
From: Michael Busby @ 2011-09-01 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john.robinson; +Cc: linux-raid

Will test tomorrow once back in the office, hope the 4tb sync will be
finished by then

I will report back my findings

-- Sent from my HP TouchPadOn 1 Sep 2011 11:34 PM,
<john.robinson@anonymous.org.uk> wrote:
On 01/09/2011 22:50, Michael Busby wrote:
> I have found the following and see that you can convert from raid4 to
> raid0 fairly easy
>

> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10412231&postcount=20
>
> i have a 2 disk raid5 and want to be able to convert this to raid0, i
> was thinking of adding a extra 2 disk and setting them up as raid0,
> moving the data over then adding the original raid5 disks to the raid0
> setup, but i see that you are unable to add disk to a raid0 setup,
> would it be possible to setup a raid4 with 2 disks and 1 missing, move
> the data from the raid5 to raid4 then add both of the original disks
> to the raid4 the downgrade this to raid0???

Off the top of my head, feeling slightly sozzled (been for a few beers),
this might work, but as your linked post referring to a list reply from
Neil Brown says, you should test first. You could use some USB sticks,
or alternatively loopback devices are ideal for this kind of test.

Cheers,

John.

* Raid5 to another raid level??
@ 2011-09-01 21:50 Michael Busby