* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
       [not found] <DB6PR0102MB2630BD1102B35C45A9A2D091882A9@DB6PR0102MB2630.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2021-05-20 18:36 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2021-05-20 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Diego,

>>> In theory 2 can be done today, either by iwd or combo iwd/hostapd with
>> some
>>> manual magic.
>
> We do exactly this on our devices, when we explored things a while back it was not really an option to do it all with iwd, so we use iwd for the client part, create a new interface on the same WiFi adapter and fire up a hostapd + dnsmasq combo on it as a "configuration AP", if the device is not configured yet.  The advantage is that iwd works in parallel in client mode so we can get the list of available networks and test that the configuration provided by the user really works without having to disconnect the user from the "configuration AP" until configuration is complete.

Awesome, thanks for confirming that this can be done.  In theory iwd should be
getting to the point where our AP mode support should be good enough for simple
scenarios like this one.

> Creating a second interface in AP mode works on all the WiFi adapters we have encountered, which are mainly Intel and Qualcomm.

Keith,

Any P2P capable adapter should be able to do this (so pretty much any modern
hardware).  There was an earlier discussion on the list where I suggested that
we add a config option to main.conf to start iwd either in station + p2p or
station + ap mode.

Patches are always welcome!

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-21  0:29   ` KeithG
From: KeithG @ 2021-05-21  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Diego,

> >> some
> >
> > We do exactly this on our devices, when we explored things a while back it was not really an option to do it all with iwd, so we use iwd for the client part, create a new interface on the same WiFi adapter and fire up a hostapd + dnsmasq combo on it as a "configuration AP", if the device is not configured yet.  The advantage is that iwd works in parallel in client mode so we can get the list of available networks and test that the configuration provided by the user really works without having to disconnect the user from the "configuration AP" until configuration is complete.
>
> Awesome, thanks for confirming that this can be done.  In theory iwd should be
> getting to the point where our AP mode support should be good enough for simple
> scenarios like this one.
>

> > Creating a second interface in AP mode works on all the WiFi adapters we have encountered, which are mainly Intel and Qualcomm.
> >

> Keith,
>
> Any P2P capable adapter should be able to do this (so pretty much any modern
> hardware).  There was an earlier discussion on the list where I suggested that
> we add a config option to main.conf to start iwd either in station + p2p or
> station + ap mode.
>
> Patches are always welcome!
>
> Regards,
> -Denis
Denis,

I appreciate the confidence but this is way out of my depth! I will
wait and hope that someone can contribute to this capability. I can
confirm that the AP mode works quite well even with the broadcom fmac
card. As I said, we are set up to start in station mode, collect the
local ssids, put them in a redis key then switch to AP mode and allow
the user to select one of the previously collected SSIDs to configure.
I was just hoping for a real time scan capability when in AP mode.

Regards,

Keith

* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-21  5:20     ` KeithG
From: KeithG @ 2021-05-21  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 7:29 PM KeithG <ys3al35l@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Diego,

> > > We do exactly this on our devices, when we explored things a while back it was not really an option to do it all with iwd, so we use iwd for the client part, create a new interface on the same WiFi adapter and fire up a hostapd + dnsmasq combo on it as a "configuration AP", if the device is not configured yet.  The advantage is that iwd works in parallel in client mode so we can get the list of available networks and test that the configuration provided by the user really works without having to disconnect the user from the "configuration AP" until configuration is complete.
> >
> > Awesome, thanks for confirming that this can be done.  In theory iwd should be
> > getting to the point where our AP mode support should be good enough for simple
> > scenarios like this one.
> >

> > > Creating a second interface in AP mode works on all the WiFi adapters we have encountered, which are mainly Intel and Qualcomm.
> > >

> > Keith,
> >
> > Any P2P capable adapter should be able to do this (so pretty much any modern
> > hardware).  There was an earlier discussion on the list where I suggested that
> > we add a config option to main.conf to start iwd either in station + p2p or
> > station + ap mode.
> >
> > Patches are always welcome!
> >
> > Regards,
> > -Denis
> Denis,
>
> I appreciate the confidence but this is way out of my depth! I will
> wait and hope that someone can contribute to this capability. I can
> confirm that the AP mode works quite well even with the broadcom fmac
> card. As I said, we are set up to start in station mode, collect the
> local ssids, put them in a redis key then switch to AP mode and allow
> the user to select one of the previously collected SSIDs to configure.
> I was just hoping for a real time scan capability when in AP mode.
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith

Messing around with ap mode and seeing what was possible, tonight. I
can reliably get the AP mode to work. I can reliably get iwd to scan
and can save the SSIDs. What I cannot seem to be able to do is get it
to 'tether' in this manner. I have a cable on eth0 (192.168.2.x) and
iwd is in AP mode on wlan0 (192.168.5.1). I cannot get it to NAT using
iptables. This works fine for hostapd, but every time my phone
connects, I get 'connected, no internet'.

I've tried variants, but the iptables lines for hostapd are:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE'
iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT'
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT'
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

I've also tried this:
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -m state --state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

With either of these, I get no internet for wifi connected devices.
From cli, I can ping and wget, etc. What am I missing?

* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-23 21:21       ` KeithG
From: KeithG @ 2021-05-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 12:20 AM KeithG <ys3al35l@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 7:29 PM KeithG <ys3al35l@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Diego,

> > > Awesome, thanks for confirming that this can be done.  In theory iwd should be
> > > getting to the point where our AP mode support should be good enough for simple
> > > scenarios like this one.

> > > Keith,
> > >
> > > Any P2P capable adapter should be able to do this (so pretty much any modern
> > > hardware).  There was an earlier discussion on the list where I suggested that
> > > we add a config option to main.conf to start iwd either in station + p2p or
> > > station + ap mode.
> > >
> > > Patches are always welcome!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > -Denis
> > Denis,
> >
> > I appreciate the confidence but this is way out of my depth! I will
> > wait and hope that someone can contribute to this capability. I can
> > confirm that the AP mode works quite well even with the broadcom fmac
> > card. As I said, we are set up to start in station mode, collect the
> > local ssids, put them in a redis key then switch to AP mode and allow
> > the user to select one of the previously collected SSIDs to configure.
> > I was just hoping for a real time scan capability when in AP mode.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Keith
>
> Messing around with ap mode and seeing what was possible, tonight. I
> can reliably get the AP mode to work. I can reliably get iwd to scan
> and can save the SSIDs. What I cannot seem to be able to do is get it
> to 'tether' in this manner. I have a cable on eth0 (192.168.2.x) and
> iwd is in AP mode on wlan0 (192.168.5.1). I cannot get it to NAT using
> iptables. This works fine for hostapd, but every time my phone
> connects, I get 'connected, no internet'.
>
> I've tried variants, but the iptables lines for hostapd are:
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE'
> iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT'
> iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT'
> sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
>
> I've also tried this:
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -m state --state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
>
> With either of these, I get no internet for wifi connected devices.
> From cli, I can ping and wget, etc. What am I missing?

Still messing with this. I decided to try to start an ad-hoc network
from the RPi to see how it works. This is on an RPi 3B (broadcom
fmac). I am running iwd built from git at e8eb05f. When I try to start
an ad-hoc network, I get 'Operation Failed'

# iwctl device wlan0 show
                                 Device: wlan0
  Settable  Property            Value
            Name                wlan0
         *  Mode                ad-hoc
         *  Powered             on
            Address             b8:27:eb:28:7d:8f
            Adapter             phy0
~# /usr/bin/iwctl ad-hoc wlan0 start test password
Operation failed

in the log:
May 23 10:03:23 runeaudio iwd[15027]:
src/netdev.c:netdev_link_notify() event 16 on ifindex 3
May 23 10:03:23 runeaudio iwd[15027]:
src/netdev.c:netdev_link_notify() event 16 on ifindex 3
May 23 10:04:22 runeaudio iwd[15027]: src/agent.c:agent_register()
agent register called
May 23 10:04:22 runeaudio iwd[15027]: src/agent.c:agent_register()
agent :1.569 path /agent/15328
May 23 10:04:22 runeaudio iwd[15027]: Failed to join adhoc network, -22
May 23 10:04:22 runeaudio iwd[15027]: src/agent.c:agent_disconnect()
agent :1.569 disconnected
May 23 10:04:22 runeaudio iwd[15027]: src/agent.c:agent_free() agent
free 0x1f257c0

I thought this should be easy, but am confused trying to set up a NAT
between the wlan0 connected devices (iwd running in AP mode) and the
eth0 connman managed DHCP connection to the router.

Keith

* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-20  6:42   ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2021-05-20  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 04:20:20PM -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote:
> > If I set up connman by:
> > "# connmanctl tether wifi on SSID password" I can connect and 'see' my
> > new SSID, but I cannot scan for any APs to set up. I do not know how
> > to set the SSID IP address, if this has been enabled in connman.
>
> Daniel or Marcel can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is a
> usecase connman supports.  Tethering is just that, sharing your
> ethernet/wwan/whatever connection over wifi.

You are right. ConnMan does not support AP mode. There is no D-Bus API
exposing the AP mode of an WiFi interface. ConnMan does not expose
devices either, so it's not something we could just add.

Thanks,
Daniel

* RE: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-20  5:54     ` Diego Santa Cruz
From: Diego Santa Cruz @ 2021-05-20  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Diego Santa Cruz, PhD
Technology Architect
spinetix.com

* Re: How to configure an IoT wifi setup
@ 2021-05-19 22:40   ` KeithG
From: KeithG @ 2021-05-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

@ 2021-05-19 21:20 ` Denis Kenzior