* Install
@ 2013-01-22  8:00 Raenan Guadez
From: Raenan Guadez @ 2013-01-22  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I'm confused on how to configure the card in terminal to work? Is there a clear step by step command line prompt to follow?

Sent from my iPhone

* Re: Install
@ 2013-01-22 11:24 ` Julian Calaby
       [not found]   ` <CAOctcr9+k_9FBJ=bdbYmxEcrHkk8ihYAV20H+qtSmtk7Yv0f+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Julian Calaby @ 2013-01-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raenan Guadez; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Raenan,

You seem to be new here, so just a couple of pointers. Firstly make
sure you Reply All, and CC linux-wireless when replying. Secondly,
most of us are volunteers and do support in our spare time, so don't
expect a prompt reply. Also, please don't top post - if I replied only
with this paragraph, I'd be top posting, my response, below your
quoted message is bottom posting and is the best way to format your
emails for mailing lists like this one.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Raenan Guadez <raenanguadez@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused on how to configure the card in terminal to work? Is there a clear step by step command line prompt to follow?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Firstly, I have to ask the standard questions:
1. Which distribution are you using and what version?
2. What kernel version are you using?
3. Are you using compat-wireless and if so, what version?
4. What type of card are you trying to use? Running "lspci" or "lsusb"
should help identify it.
5. Have you installed the firmware for it? (If applicable)
6. Is it detected by the kernel? i.e. if you run "dmesg", are there
lines referencing the card?

But back to your questions.

Are you using a graphical user interface, e.g. Gnome, Unity or KDE? If
so, you should install Network Manager or wicd as this will take care
of configuring your wireless card and do it in a nice user-friendly
manner.

If you don't, then the simplest way is to use wpa_supplicant to manage
the wireless card. Your distribution should provide a manual with it
(try running "man wpa_supplicant") which will describe how to
configure it.

Please let us know how you go.

Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@gmail.com
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

* Re: Install
       [not found]   ` <CAOctcr9+k_9FBJ=bdbYmxEcrHkk8ihYAV20H+qtSmtk7Yv0f+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-23 22:18     ` Julian Calaby
From: Julian Calaby @ 2013-01-23 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raenan guadez; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Raenan,

I also forgot to mention: HTML emails are not accepted by the list, so
despite you CCing linux-wireless, it was only received by me.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM, raenan guadez <raenanguadez@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> Yes I am new to linux.  Thank you for letting me know the structure for the
> emails.  I appreciate the help and do understand its volunteer.
>
> Firstly, I have to ask the standard questions:
> 1. Which distribution are you using and what version?
> I am using Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS

Good, I'm somewhat familiar with that distro.

> 2. What kernel version are you using?
> 3.2.0 - 36 generic pae
>
> 3. Are you using compat-wireless and if so, what version?
> not sure, how do i find out?

If you don't know then you're probably not. It's not an issue.

> 4. What type of card are you trying to use? Running "lspci" or "lsusb"
> should help identify it.
> Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 ABG card

Ok, the driver for those is fairly stable.

> 5. Have you installed the firmware for it? (If applicable)
> I do not believe the firmware is installed because when I go under Network
> it says the firmware is missing for the wireless device.

Then you _need_ to install the firmware. This is in the
firmware-iwlwifi package.

> 6. Is it detected by the kernel? i.e. if you run "dmesg", are there
> lines referencing the card?
> Yes it detects the card

Good.

I note that you are using Network Manager. Once the firmware is
installed, Network Manager will detect the card and configure it for
you.

If you're still desperate to connect to a wireless network from the
command line, then the simplest way is to use wpa_supplicant to manage
the wireless card. Note that you will have to _completely_ disable
Network Manager for it to work. Your distribution should provide a
manual with it (try running "man wpa_supplicant") which will describe
how to configure it.

Note that in Network Manager, if you change a connection to be
"available to all users" Network Manager will connect to it on startup
before you log in. Also, network connections aren't restricted to a
particular user or just the GUI or anything like that - once it's
connected, everyone on the computer can use it.

@ 2011-08-18 14:24   ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2011-08-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: SE-Linux

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov> wrote:
> Looks like if you give it a relative path as the target, it won't try to
> set the context, because it doesn't apply realpath(), unlike restorecon,
> and matchpathcon() will always fail on a relative path as all of the
> file_contexts pathname regexes begin with a slash.  Not sure if that was
> intentional or not.

For the case of Debian package creation an absolute path is the most common
way to do things.  I think that Debian package creation alone is a sufficient
reason for changing this (in Debian at least).

> Anyway, how do you address the same issue for the package manager (dpkg
> or rpm)?  Is there a way to suppress setting of the security context
> when rpm or dpkg unpacks a package?

dpkg will call matchpathcon() whenever SE Linux is enabled, there doesn't
appear to be a way of disabling this or a good reason for doing so.

A significant portion of the uses of install(1) involve something other than
installing a system file.  The case of using install as part of a Debian
package creation process (or some other form of archive creation) either
deliberately or through "make install" is extremely common.  Changing tens of
thousands of Makefiles isn't a viable option and having lots of warning
messages isn't a great situation, so it seems that changing install(1) is
required.

* Re: install
@ 2011-08-18 13:40 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2011-08-18 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)