* Western Digital Red's SMR and btrfs?
@ 2020-05-02  5:24 Rich Rauenzahn
From: Rich Rauenzahn @ 2020-05-02  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

Has there been any btrfs discussion off the list (I haven't seen any
SMR/shingled mails in the archive since 2016 or so) regarding the news
that WD's Red drives are actually SMR?

I'm using these reds in my btrfs setup (which is 2-3 drives in RAID1
configuration, not parity based RAIDs.)   I had noticed that adding a
new drive took a long time, but other than than, I haven't had any
issues that I know of.  They've lasted quite a long time, although I
think my NAS would be considered more of a cold storage/archival.
Photos and Videos.

Is btrfs raid1 going to be the sweet spot on these drives?

If I start swapping these out -- is there a recommended low power
drive?  I'd buy the red pro's, but they spin faster and produce more
heat and noise.

Rich

* Re: Western Digital Red's SMR and btrfs?
@ 2020-05-02 12:26 Torstein Eide
From: Torstein Eide @ 2020-05-02 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrauenza; +Cc: linux-btrfs

I recommend to read this paper:
https://www.toshiba.co.jp/tech/review/en/01_02/pdf/a08.pdf
https://www.servethehome.com/surreptitiously-swapping-smr-into-hard-drives-must-end/

I think it very bad that WD did not declare that the disk is a SMR.

The SMR code that is written expect the drive to inform the host about
it status.  The host manage SMR and Host aware SMR.
The type WD red uses is Disk managed SMR, and our machines are unaware
of it SMR usage.

As far as I understand the problem that have been described by others,
it is not the SMR its self that is the problem.
The problem is that a user expect to be able to do random writes, like
normal like the old WD red drives. But as the action of rebuild a raid
is a sequential operation, when pared other writes is becomes random
writes.

So my understanding is that maybe SMR can be okay for setup with cache
or setups with huge downtime, for the system to be able to rebuild
without user writes. I am still looking for documentation to verify
what is the break point, on how much other writes are acceptable
during a rebuild before the linux kernel/FS will mark it as a bad
drive.

according to this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDYEG4X_LCg
WD red with SMR have better sequential read/write, during raid build,
for a empty raid.

according to this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhvXPVH-qE
WD red with SMR have slightly slower sequential read/write, during
raid build, for a empty raid.

So what can BTRFS do.
I think this is something that primeratly needs to handle at kernel
level not filesystem level.
Where one solution can be to temperatury slow the write speed to that
manuel disk to have writes below disk rated level.
A other solution can be to stop rebuild if writes fall below a level,
for a some duration to allow the disk to move some of the data in
media cache area over SMR area.
But primarily there need to be a way to mark a DM-SMR disk with a
"This is a SMR disk " similar to host managed and host aware SMR, so
the kernel and/or filesystem can do something with it.

--
Torstein Eide
Torsteine@gmail.com