* IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-27  6:54 Enrico Sau
From: Enrico Sau @ 2016-09-27  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi all,

As far as I understand, ofono doen't support IPV6 over ppp due to the fact
that IPV6 compression protocol implementation is missing.
Is that right?

Thank you,
Enrico

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 779 bytes --]

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-28 15:22 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2016-09-28 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Enrico,

On 09/27/2016 01:54 AM, Enrico Sau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I understand, ofono doen't support IPV6 over ppp due to the
> fact that IPV6 compression protocol implementation is missing.
> Is that right?

GAtChat has support for IPV6 control protocol, so IPV6 over PPP should
be possible.  I think it is simply not enabled in the driver since we
have never found hardware that supports it.

We do not support IPV4 or IPV6 compression.  It is an optional feature
and I doubt you'd want to use it anyway.  We're not operating on a
constrained bandwidth link, so enabling it would only increase CPU
utilization and decrease throughput.  Lose/lose situation.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-29 10:10   ` Enrico Sau
From: Enrico Sau @ 2016-09-29 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Denis,

Thank you for you answer.
I will make some tests.

Regards,
Enrico

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 756 bytes --]

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-29 15:01   ` Harald Welte
From: Harald Welte @ 2016-09-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

This might be off topic, but AFAIR there are PPP type PDP contexts where not raw IP, but actual PPP frames are transmitted over GPRS inside SNDCP/LLC. Not sure if any operators use that, but its perfectly valid.

In this case PPP doesn't terminate in the modem, so "hardware" support should be irrelevant.

Regards,
Harald
--
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-29 15:36     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2016-09-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Harald,

> This might be off topic, but AFAIR there are PPP type PDP contexts where not raw IP, but actual PPP frames are transmitted over GPRS inside SNDCP/LLC. Not sure if any operators use that, but its perfectly valid.
>
> In this case PPP doesn't terminate in the modem, so "hardware" support should be irrelevant.

I have heard about these PPP type PDT contexts, but I have not seen any of these deployed. They might do exists, but they seem like such an odd duck that it makes no sense to worry too much about it.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-09-29 16:07     ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2016-09-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Harald,

On 09/29/2016 10:01 AM, Harald Welte wrote:
> This might be off topic, but AFAIR there are PPP type PDP contexts where not raw IP, but actual PPP frames are transmitted over GPRS inside SNDCP/LLC. Not sure if any operators use that, but its perfectly valid.

Yes, I think this was introduced in Release 7.  However, it would
require the use of "PPP" pdp type in CGDCONT, not "IP".  Also, for EPS
contexts I don't believe that "PPP" type is possible (nor wanted, as
you'd fry your CPU keeping up with the high-bandwidth connection).
Probably a legacy feature that might still be used in very narrow
circumstances.  I've certainly never seen it used in practice.

> In this case PPP doesn't terminate in the modem, so "hardware" support should be irrelevant.

True.  But I'm probably missing your point.  PPP packet compression is
still an optional protocol feature, so it should not preclude
interoperability.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-10-05  6:50       ` Enrico Sau
From: Enrico Sau @ 2016-10-05  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi all,

I'm still trying to make IPV6 work.
First, I ensured that my modem and network support IPV6 making a successful
IPV6 connection with linux pppd.

Then I set the ofono context protocol to "dual", removed the check on the
protocol in at_gprs_activate_primary(), and set +CGDCONT with "IPV4V6"
which works for my modem.

Result is that the modem successfuly get an IPV6 address because I can
query it from another AT channel, but ofono does not retrieve any IPV6
parameters:

[ /le910na1_0/context1 ]
        Username =
        AccessPointName =
        Settings = {
                    Interface = ppp0
                    Method = static
                    DomainNameServers = 172.22.1.201,  0.0.0.0,
                    Address = 172.22.1.101
                    Netmask = 255.255.255.255 }
        AuthenticationMethod = chap
        Password =
        Protocol = dual
        Type = internet
        Active = 1
        IPv6.Settings = {
                    Interface = ppp0 }
        Name = Internet

The consequence is that the ppp0 interface only has an IPV4 address.
I also tried with IPV6 only but same result.
Any hints?

Enrico

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3654 bytes --]

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-10-05 18:01         ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2016-10-05 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Enrico,

On 10/05/2016 01:50 AM, Enrico Sau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still trying to make IPV6 work.
> First, I ensured that my modem and network support IPV6 making a
> successful IPV6 connection with linux pppd.

Which modem are you using, if its no secret?

> Then I set the ofono context protocol to "dual", removed the check on
> the protocol in at_gprs_activate_primary(), and set +CGDCONT with
> "IPV4V6" which works for my modem.
>
> Result is that the modem successfuly get an IPV6 address because I can
> query it from another AT channel, but ofono does not retrieve any IPV6
> parameters:
>
> [ /le910na1_0/context1 ]
>          Username =
>          AccessPointName =
>          Settings = {
>                      Interface = ppp0
>                      Method = static
>                      DomainNameServers = 172.22.1.201,  0.0.0.0,
>                      Address = 172.22.1.101
>                      Netmask = 255.255.255.255 }
>          AuthenticationMethod = chap
>          Password =
>          Protocol = dual
>          Type = internet
>          Active = 1
>          IPv6.Settings = {
>                      Interface = ppp0 }
>          Name = Internet
> The consequence is that the ppp0 interface only has an IPV4 address.
> I also tried with IPV6 only but same result.
> Any hints?

It looks like IPV6CP was never properly integrated into GAtPPP logic.
At least I don't see ipv6cp_new() inside gatchat/gatppp.c anywhere.  You
might have to extend gatppp.c to manage IPV6CP as well.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-10-06  7:13           ` Enrico Sau
From: Enrico Sau @ 2016-10-06  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Denis,

Which modem are you using, if its no secret?

​No secrets, I'm using this:
http://www.telit.com/cellular/4g-modules/xe910-family/
The V2 series.

It looks like IPV6CP was never properly integrated into GAtPPP logic. At
> least I don't see ipv6cp_new() inside gatchat/gatppp.c anywhere.  You might
> have to extend gatppp.c to manage IPV6CP as well.

​I will look into it.
Do you think is a difficult task?​

​​

​I extended several ofono interfaces fot telit modems.
I will find the time to submit some changes sooner or later​.

​Regards,
Enrico​

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2020 bytes --]

* Re: IPV6 question
@ 2016-10-06 17:29             ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2016-10-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Enrico,

On 10/06/2016 02:13 AM, Enrico Sau wrote:
> Hi Denis,
>
>     Which modem are you using, if its no secret?
>

> ​No secrets, I'm using this:
> http://www.telit.com/cellular/4g-modules/xe910-family/
> The V2 series.

Okay, I should have one around somewhere.  Not sure I have a provider
that allows dual stack contexts though.

>     It looks like IPV6CP was never properly integrated into GAtPPP
>     logic. At least I don't see ipv6cp_new() inside gatchat/gatppp.c
>     anywhere.  You might have to extend gatppp.c to manage IPV6CP as well.
>

> ​I will look into it.
> Do you think is a difficult task?​

Shouldn't be particularly difficult assuming IPV6CP itself was done
properly.  You might need to tweak GAtPPPConnectFunc to relay the ipv6
address and tell GAtPPP which protocols to run.  E.g. ipv6cp, ipcp, or both.

> ​​
>
> ​I extended several ofono interfaces fot telit modems.
> I will find the time to submit some changes sooner or later​.

Cool.

Regards,
-Denis

* Ipv6 question
@ 2005-01-25 14:28 Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2005-01-25 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi all,

In setting up a ipv6 network I noticed that the kernel (2.6.10) does not
support network address translation of ipv6 addresses. Does anyone know
when this feature will be added?

Thanks,
Ryan