* Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-04 14:40 Nicolas Dechesne
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2023-05-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core; +Cc: Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Dear all,

After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the Yocto
Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community around 2008.
I have fond memories of my early days, and still remember some of my first
interactions on IRC and mailing lists! This is a very welcoming community,
always helping new people with patience and kindness. Serving the project
during the last five years is something I am very proud of, and I will be
forever grateful to all of you for accepting me!

During these years, we have gone through a lot together, the pandemic gave
us an opportunity to rethink how our community should come together.
Setting up our Virtual Summits has been a lot of work (and stress!) for a
group of few people, but the never ending success of these events has been
very rewarding! Our online presence in social media has dramatically
improved, and allows us to reach out to and interact with our community
faster than ever before!

On the side of all the technical changes, and releases, we have also
established the Yocto LTS process which was a recurring request from the
community and has become a strength of the project! We also revamped the
project documentation to make it easier to maintain and contribute. The
Yocto Project documentation is such a great resource for our community! I
have spent so many hours on these PDFs in my early days!

Anyway, let’s not focus on the past! The future looks bright and I am
really excited to announce that Josef Holzmayr has accepted to take over
the Community Manager role. Josef needs no introduction, he has been a key
member of this community for so many years. Thanks to Josef's relentless
efforts, we have grown our social media presence on Youtube, Twitter,
LinkedIn and Mastodon! His energy will be a great source of inspiration for
this community! I wish Josef and Yocto the best for the years to come, and
I am convinced this community is in good hands and that Josef will be a
great community leader!

Many thanks!
Nico

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-04 14:54 ` Michael Opdenacker
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne, yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core
  Cc: Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Dear Nico,

On 04.05.23 at 16:40, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the
> Yocto Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community
> around 2008. I have fond memories of my early days, and still remember
> some of my first interactions on IRC and mailing lists! This is a very
> welcoming community, always helping new people with patience and
> kindness. Serving the project during the last five years is something
> I am very proud of, and I will be forever grateful to all of you for
> accepting me!
>
> During these years, we have gone through a lot together, the pandemic
> gave us an opportunity to rethink how our community should come
> together. Setting up our Virtual Summits has been a lot of work (and
> stress!) for a group of few people, but the never ending success of
> these events has been very rewarding! Our online presence in social
> media has dramatically improved, and allows us to reach out to and
> interact with our community faster than ever before!
>
> On the side of all the technical changes, and releases, we have also
> established the Yocto LTS process which was a recurring request from
> the community and has become a strength of the project! We also
> revamped the project documentation to make it easier to maintain and
> contribute. The Yocto Project documentation is such a great resource
> for our community! I have spent so many hours on these PDFs in my
> early days!
>
> Anyway, let’s not focus on the past! The future looks bright and I am
> really excited to announce that Josef Holzmayr has accepted to take
> over the Community Manager role. Josef needs no introduction, he has
> been a key member of this community for so many years. Thanks to
> Josef's relentless efforts, we have grown our social media presence on
> Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Mastodon! His energy will be a great
> source of inspiration for this community! I wish Josef and Yocto the
> best for the years to come, and I am convinced this community is in
> good hands and that Josef will be a great community leader!

Many thanks for everything you did for the project, and are still doing
for the wider embedded Linux community. You will be missed here but I
hope you will still be around.

Now the bar is high and Josef is expected to stay as an official
Community Manager for at least 5 years ;-)

Thanks again to you Nico and thanks to Josef for taking over!
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-04 15:07 ` Richard Purdie
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Purdie @ 2023-05-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne, yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core; +Cc: Josef Holzmayr

On Thu, 2023-05-04 at 16:40 +0200, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the
> Yocto Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community
> around 2008. I have fond memories of my early days, and still
> remember some of my first interactions on IRC and mailing lists! This
> is a very welcoming community, always helping new people with
> patience and kindness. Serving the project during the last five years
> is something I am very proud of, and I will be forever grateful to
> all of you for accepting me!

I know we've talked but I did want to publicly say thanks for
everything you've done in the role!

We've had some good times and overcome some challenges in the last few
years, the project has definitely benefited from your involvement and
you'll be sorely missed.

Welcome to the role Josef, no pressure! :)

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-04 15:13   ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2023-05-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Nicolas Dechesne, yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core

Thank you Nico for the five years in which we had the pleasure of working
together for the growth and future of the Yocto Project and OpenEmbedded.
Your contributions and insight will be missed - but hopefully not you as a
person. We will meet again, over a drink, and talk of the olde times...

And on the same note, thank you Andy, Richard, and all of the leadership
working group for the trust placed in me. Let us make this a change that
keeps the good and adds more of it.

Greetz,
Josef

@ 2023-05-04 16:23     ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2023-05-04 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie
  Cc: Nicolas Dechesne, yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core

Let me chime in.

Nico, thank you so much for your leadership as the Yocto community
manager and beyond. You certainly made sure that the community remained
welcoming and supportive to new and current members. I very much
appreciate all the effort you dedicated to the project and its community.

Welcome Josef, as the new community manager.

Cheers,
Rudi

On 5/4/23 08:13, Josef Holzmayr wrote:
> Thank you Nico for the five years in which we had the pleasure of
> working together for the growth and future of the Yocto Project and
> OpenEmbedded. Your contributions and insight will be missed - but
> hopefully not you as a person. We will meet again, over a drink, and
> talk of the olde times...
>
> And on the same note, thank you Andy, Richard, and all of the
> leadership working group for the trust placed in me. Let us make this
> a change that keeps the good and adds more of it.
>
> Greetz,
> Josef
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 5:07 PM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2023-05-04 at 16:40 +0200, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
>     > After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the
>     > Yocto Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community
>     > around 2008. I have fond memories of my early days, and still
>     > remember some of my first interactions on IRC and mailing lists!
>     This
>     > is a very welcoming community, always helping new people with
>     > patience and kindness. Serving the project during the last five
>     years
>     > is something I am very proud of, and I will be forever grateful to
>     > all of you for accepting me!
>
>     I know we've talked but I did want to publicly say thanks for
>     everything you've done in the role!
>
>     We've had some good times and overcome some challenges in the last few
>     years, the project has definitely benefited from your involvement and
>     you'll be sorely missed.
>
>     Welcome to the role Josef, no pressure! :)
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Richard

Rudolf J Streif
CEO/CTO
1.855.442.3386

* Re: [OE-core] Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-05  9:52 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-05-05  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne
  Cc: yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core, Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Thank you for the work over the years Nico; it takes a lot of
organizational effort for things to simply 'go right', and that effort
isn't particularly visible most of the time, which only makes it more
valuable from my POV.

Alex

On Thu, 4 May 2023 at 16:40, Nicolas Dechesne <ndec13@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the Yocto Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community around 2008. I have fond memories of my early days, and still remember some of my first interactions on IRC and mailing lists! This is a very welcoming community, always helping new people with patience and kindness. Serving the project during the last five years is something I am very proud of, and I will be forever grateful to all of you for accepting me!
>
> During these years, we have gone through a lot together, the pandemic gave us an opportunity to rethink how our community should come together. Setting up our Virtual Summits has been a lot of work (and stress!) for a group of few people, but the never ending success of these events has been very rewarding! Our online presence in social media has dramatically improved, and allows us to reach out to and interact with our community faster than ever before!
>
> On the side of all the technical changes, and releases, we have also established the Yocto LTS process which was a recurring request from the community and has become a strength of the project! We also revamped the project documentation to make it easier to maintain and contribute. The Yocto Project documentation is such a great resource for our community! I have spent so many hours on these PDFs in my early days!
>
> Anyway, let’s not focus on the past! The future looks bright and I am really excited to announce that Josef Holzmayr has accepted to take over the Community Manager role. Josef needs no introduction, he has been a key member of this community for so many years. Thanks to Josef's relentless efforts, we have grown our social media presence on Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Mastodon! His energy will be a great source of inspiration for this community! I wish Josef and Yocto the best for the years to come, and I am convinced this community is in good hands and that Josef will be a great community leader!
>
> Many thanks!
> Nico

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Community Manager updates
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-05-05 16:55 ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2023-05-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne
  Cc: yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core, Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Nico: you did a fantastic job as Community Manager, as I knew you would.
You always do a great job with everything you take on, and this endeavour
was no exception. Your help with the virtual summits is especially
appreciated; they wouldn't have happened without your help. Jeffro did a
great job setting the tone for this role; you continued on his great work
and made the Yocto Project even better. My congratulations to you.

Josef has been a visible member of the community for a while. It's exciting
to see him take on an even greater role within the community. I know Josef
will waste no time making this position his own, and doing interesting
things with it!

* Re: [OE-core] Yocto Project Community Manager updates
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-05-05 17:47 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-05-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne
  Cc: yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core, Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Nico, thanks fo all your contributions to project. We will miss you.

On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 7:40 AM Nicolas Dechesne <ndec13@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After five years, I have decided to resign from my position as the Yocto Project Community Manager. I joined the OpenEmbedded community around 2008. I have fond memories of my early days, and still remember some of my first interactions on IRC and mailing lists! This is a very welcoming community, always helping new people with patience and kindness. Serving the project during the last five years is something I am very proud of, and I will be forever grateful to all of you for accepting me!
>
> During these years, we have gone through a lot together, the pandemic gave us an opportunity to rethink how our community should come together. Setting up our Virtual Summits has been a lot of work (and stress!) for a group of few people, but the never ending success of these events has been very rewarding! Our online presence in social media has dramatically improved, and allows us to reach out to and interact with our community faster than ever before!
>
> On the side of all the technical changes, and releases, we have also established the Yocto LTS process which was a recurring request from the community and has become a strength of the project! We also revamped the project documentation to make it easier to maintain and contribute. The Yocto Project documentation is such a great resource for our community! I have spent so many hours on these PDFs in my early days!
>
> Anyway, let’s not focus on the past! The future looks bright and I am really excited to announce that Josef Holzmayr has accepted to take over the Community Manager role. Josef needs no introduction, he has been a key member of this community for so many years. Thanks to Josef's relentless efforts, we have grown our social media presence on Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Mastodon! His energy will be a great source of inspiration for this community! I wish Josef and Yocto the best for the years to come, and I am convinced this community is in good hands and that Josef will be a great community leader!
>
> Many thanks!
> Nico

* RE: [Yocto-Advocacy] [OE-core] Yocto Project Community Manager updates
@ 2023-05-08 10:54   ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2023-05-08 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raj.khem, Nicolas Dechesne
  Cc: yocto, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core, Josef Holzmayr, Richard Purdie

Hi Nico,

Thank you for the many years of accomplishment and contribution.

In additional to all the other things you helped foster, I would like to specifically thank you for your help with all the DevDays I ran (like 8 or 9 of them!). You were always there when I needed someone help out or even just to bounce ideas off of, and that really helped make things happen and happen well.

And with all that, you also could not have been a nicer person to work with!

Thanks. You will be missed.
David