* Dump of registers during endpoint link down
@ 2020-07-09  7:14 Manish Raturi
From: Manish Raturi @ 2020-07-09  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci

Hi Team,

I have a generic query , if an hotplug pcie endpoint connected to the
CPU root port shows link down, then from the debugging perspective
w.r.t PCIE what all register can be dump during the failure condition,
what I can think of is these registers from the root port side

1) Link status /control/capability
2) Slot status /control/capability
3) Lane error status registers.

Anything else we can dump which gives us more insight into the issue.
Also is there anything by which we can check from PCIE clock
perspective.

Thanks & Regards
Manish Raturi

* Re: Dump of registers during endpoint link down
@ 2020-07-09 19:24 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2020-07-09 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Raturi; +Cc: linux-pci

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 12:44:24PM +0530, Manish Raturi wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I have a generic query , if an hotplug pcie endpoint connected to the
> CPU root port shows link down, then from the debugging perspective
> w.r.t PCIE what all register can be dump during the failure condition,
> what I can think of is these registers from the root port side
>
> 1) Link status /control/capability
> 2) Slot status /control/capability
> 3) Lane error status registers.
>
> Anything else we can dump which gives us more insight into the issue.
> Also is there anything by which we can check from PCIE clock
> perspective.

If you have this:

  Root Port ----- Endpoint

and the Link is down, you won't be able to read any registers from the
Endpoint.  You can dump all the Root Port registers, of course, e.g.,
with "lspci -vvvxxxx".

* Re: Dump of registers during endpoint link down
       [not found] <CAHn-FMxBZdHPYQkorePnyK+aY_3S29xVnkjj2u3pWDHjTyyGmA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-07-13 23:44 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2020-07-13 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Raturi; +Cc: linux-pci

Reply-all and don't top-post.  See
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 03:31:02PM +0530, Manish Raturi wrote:
> Thanks, Bjorn, I am doing that (lspci -vvvxxxx) to dump all the
> register, but in case of Link down, are there any specific registers
> which we should look in, mostly I look below register:
>
> 1) Link status /control/capability
> 2) Slot status /control/capability
> 3) Lane error status registers.
>
> Any other register we can specifically look for.

I have no idea what the problem is, so can't really help you, sorry.
All you've said is that the link to an endpoint is down.  I don't know
whether the the slot is even powered up.  You could try a different
card to see whether that works.  You could try the same card in a
different machine to see if that works.  If you think the link
*should* be up, you could always debug it from a hardware point of
view with a PCIe analyzer.