* apt-get
@ 2017-11-08 19:16 Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2017-11-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project Discussion

Hello,

Is there a way to add "apt-get" command (and package manager) in yocto ?

Thank you,
Ran

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-08 19:26 ` Burton, Ross
       [not found]   ` <CAJ2oMhKQ=R615oVu2i-_verahERksqhMtxKq0RkjcxCmXnbKkQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-11-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ran Shalit; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

Set PACKAGE_CLASSES to package_deb, and then ensure IMAGE_FEATURES includes
package-management.

Ross

On 8 November 2017 at 19:16, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to add "apt-get" command (and package manager) in yocto ?
>
> Thank you,
> Ran

* Re: apt-get
       [not found]   ` <CAJ2oMhKQ=R615oVu2i-_verahERksqhMtxKq0RkjcxCmXnbKkQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-11-09 11:25     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-11-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ran Shalit, yocto

(adding yocto@ back to CC)

I don't know where you saw that but that is very wrong.

Set PACKAGE_CLASSES to the package manager that you want to use.  If you
want to use opkg, then PACKAGE_CLASSES should be package_ipk (historical
naming).  If you want opkg to be present in the images ensure
IMAGE_FEATURES contains package-management.

PACKAGE_CLASSES controls what package formats are generated, and multiple
are supported for flexibility and testing purposes.  For real world use
there's no need to have more than one.  The first entry is the package type
that is actually used in the rootfs generation.

package-management needs to be in IMAGE_FEATURES to both get the tools
installed (opkg in your case, apt-get for dpkg, yum for rpm) and to keep
the package management database on the disk.  By removing
package-management from IMAGE_FEATURES all traces of the package manager
will be removed from the rootfs, which is useful if you don't want to
support on-target use of the package manager.

Ross

On 9 November 2017 at 06:45, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We also consider using opkg.
>
> Now, I have some confusion as to how to install opkg.
> I see in some documentation that it should be installed as following:
>
> PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm package_ipk"
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " opkg "
>
> Does it mean there are 2 package managers active ?
> How can we know which of them is active ?
>

> If "?=" means that it shall be defined only if not defined previously,
> so if it is already defined as  package_rpm , it might not install
> package_ipk?
> Doesn't it mean that "opkg" might be installed without the required
> package_ipk ?
>
> Thank you,
> Ran
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com>
> wrote:
> > Set PACKAGE_CLASSES to package_deb, and then ensure IMAGE_FEATURES
> includes
> > package-management.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> > On 8 November 2017 at 19:16, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to add "apt-get" command (and package manager) in yocto ?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Ran
> >> --

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-09 14:56       ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2017-11-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I've added in local.conf both:
PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_rpm"
IMAGE_FEATURES += "package-management"

Yet, I don't have yum command, only rpm command.

Regards,
Ran

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-09 15:01         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-11-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ran Shalit; +Cc: yocto

What release?  Until recently we used smart not yum.

Ross

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-09 15:11           ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2017-11-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I now see that I have smart:
root@lec-imx6:~# smart
Usage: smart command [options] [arguments]

I was not familiar with "smart" command before, so that is good enough.

The image is based on fsl-image-qt5 image  (lec-imx6 from adlink)

Thanks,
Ran

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-10  8:06             ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2017-11-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

If I can please ask one last on this issue:

We decided to try "smart", but it seems that its mirrors list are all
empty.
Can you please point me as to how to fill the mirror list (I tried to
search on this, but haven't found information) ?

Thank you very much,
Ran

* Re: apt-get
@ 2017-11-10 10:50         ` Zoran Stojsavljevic