* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-09 15:17 Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2018-04-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi!
Recently, as there has been more people working on LTP in SUSE than
myself, we started to accumulate LTP TODO items in our internal tool.
These include general ideas about LTP improvements, missing coverage,
broken tests, etc.

Keeping this backlog behind closed door is unhealty for upstream project
so I'm looking into some kind of system to track these where everyone
can create new tickets/bugs/issues whatever it is called and act on
them.

The main problem here is to choose right tool for the job, which is the
main reason for this email. I would like to avoid clumsy solutions such
as wiki table or a spreadsheet (I've been there and it was painful even
for a team of two people).

Here are some requirements I came up for it:

* Supports creating/commenting/closing issues/tickets/bugs or
  whatever is single smallest entity is called as by anybody (possibly
  after a simple registration)

* Should be reasonably simple and be able to handle >100 of open
  issues, which I suppose rules out things that are tailored to be
  used to support agile workflow such as trello that would end up
  visually incomprehensible

* Should have basic text search capabilities

* Ideally we will not maintain the instance ourselves
  - that rules out things like redmine unless there is
    an instance we can easily tap into

* Data export is a plus
  - I want to avoid situation where we loose our data
    after a database corruption

* Should be reasonably estabilished
  - I want to avoid a situation where we start to use some tool only to
    find it has been discontinued half a year later

* Ideally it should be opensource
  - however beggars can't be choosers we use GitHub quite extensively
    after all

There is a list of poissibilities I have so far:

* GitHub issues
  - probably the easiest solution
  - we can create a specific labels to sort these out
  - needs GitHub account which everybody has already
  - some operations could be done only by LTP project members
    I'm not sure if random users can add labels for example

* Some instance of Bugzilla
  (maybe bugzilla.kernel.org if we happen to get LTP category there)
   - while this would be OK for missing coverage and broken test
     I find bugzilla clumsy general ideas tracking

* I've been told that JIRA is free for opensource projects but I have no
  idea how the tool works or if it's at least reasonable fit. I looks to
  me like it has far to many features we do not need at all.

* ??? (anything else any of you can think of?)

Rant: Actually I'm a bit disappointed that there is no command line tool
      similar to taskwarrior.org maybe with a git backend for this kind
      of backlog/team management...

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-11 13:15 ` Sebastian Chlad
From: Sebastian Chlad @ 2018-04-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On 9 April 2018 at 17:17, Cyril Hrubis <chrubis@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi!
> Recently, as there has been more people working on LTP in SUSE than
> myself, we started to accumulate LTP TODO items in our internal tool.
> These include general ideas about LTP improvements, missing coverage,
> broken tests, etc.
>
> Keeping this backlog behind closed door is unhealty for upstream project
> so I'm looking into some kind of system to track these where everyone
> can create new tickets/bugs/issues whatever it is called and act on
> them.
>
> The main problem here is to choose right tool for the job, which is the
> main reason for this email. I would like to avoid clumsy solutions such
> as wiki table or a spreadsheet (I've been there and it was painful even
> for a team of two people).
>
> Here are some requirements I came up for it:
>
> * Supports creating/commenting/closing issues/tickets/bugs or
>   whatever is single smallest entity is called as by anybody (possibly
>   after a simple registration)
>
> * Should be reasonably simple and be able to handle >100 of open
>   issues, which I suppose rules out things that are tailored to be
>   used to support agile workflow such as trello that would end up
>   visually incomprehensible
>
> * Should have basic text search capabilities
>
> * Ideally we will not maintain the instance ourselves
>   - that rules out things like redmine unless there is
>     an instance we can easily tap into
>
> * Data export is a plus
>   - I want to avoid situation where we loose our data
>     after a database corruption
>
> * Should be reasonably estabilished
>   - I want to avoid a situation where we start to use some tool only to
>     find it has been discontinued half a year later
>
> * Ideally it should be opensource
>   - however beggars can't be choosers we use GitHub quite extensively
>     after all
>
> There is a list of poissibilities I have so far:
>
> * GitHub issues
>   - probably the easiest solution
>   - we can create a specific labels to sort these out
>   - needs GitHub account which everybody has already
>   - some operations could be done only by LTP project members
>     I'm not sure if random users can add labels for example

​I would opt for this solution, as it seems some folks are already using it
to some extent.​

> * Some instance of Bugzilla
>   (maybe bugzilla.kernel.org if we happen to get LTP category there)
>    - while this would be OK for missing coverage and broken test
>      I find bugzilla clumsy general ideas tracking
>
> * I've been told that JIRA is free for opensource projects but I have no
>   idea how the tool works or if it's at least reasonable fit. I looks to
>   me like it has far to many features we do not need at all.
>
> * ??? (anything else any of you can think of?)
>

> Rant: Actually I'm a bit disappointed that there is no command line tool
>       similar to taskwarrior.org maybe with a git backend for this kind
>       of backlog/team management...
>
> --
> Cyril Hrubis
> chrubis@suse.cz

Seb/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-23 13:38 ` Dan Rue
From: Dan Rue @ 2018-04-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 05:17:38PM +0200, Cyril Hrubis wrote:
> Hi!
> Recently, as there has been more people working on LTP in SUSE than
> myself, we started to accumulate LTP TODO items in our internal tool.
> These include general ideas about LTP improvements, missing coverage,
> broken tests, etc.
>
> Keeping this backlog behind closed door is unhealty for upstream project
> so I'm looking into some kind of system to track these where everyone
> can create new tickets/bugs/issues whatever it is called and act on
> them.
>
> The main problem here is to choose right tool for the job, which is the
> main reason for this email. I would like to avoid clumsy solutions such
> as wiki table or a spreadsheet (I've been there and it was painful even
> for a team of two people).
>
> Here are some requirements I came up for it:
>
> * Supports creating/commenting/closing issues/tickets/bugs or
>   whatever is single smallest entity is called as by anybody (possibly
>   after a simple registration)
>
> * Should be reasonably simple and be able to handle >100 of open
>   issues, which I suppose rules out things that are tailored to be
>   used to support agile workflow such as trello that would end up
>   visually incomprehensible
>
> * Should have basic text search capabilities
>
> * Ideally we will not maintain the instance ourselves
>   - that rules out things like redmine unless there is
>     an instance we can easily tap into
>
> * Data export is a plus
>   - I want to avoid situation where we loose our data
>     after a database corruption
>
> * Should be reasonably estabilished
>   - I want to avoid a situation where we start to use some tool only to
>     find it has been discontinued half a year later
>
> * Ideally it should be opensource
>   - however beggars can't be choosers we use GitHub quite extensively
>     after all
>
> There is a list of poissibilities I have so far:
>
> * GitHub issues
>   - probably the easiest solution
>   - we can create a specific labels to sort these out
>   - needs GitHub account which everybody has already
>   - some operations could be done only by LTP project members
>     I'm not sure if random users can add labels for example

+1. It meets the requirements (except open source), and is already
established. To be successful, LTP's github probably needs more
curation. I see a lot of pull requests and issues opened for a long time
without any action. This is true of any solution, of course.

Also, importantly, github is where the developers are (like it or not).

> * Some instance of Bugzilla
>   (maybe bugzilla.kernel.org if we happen to get LTP category there)
>    - while this would be OK for missing coverage and broken test
>      I find bugzilla clumsy general ideas tracking

-1.. The world of open source bug tracking is a bit sad. We're looking
at moving LKFT's bugzilla to phabricator
(https://github.com/phacility/phabricator). Still, moving from perl to
php feels like an improvement but not a solution (or maybe my biases are
showing).

> * I've been told that JIRA is free for opensource projects but I have no
>   idea how the tool works or if it's at least reasonable fit. I looks to
>   me like it has far to many features we do not need at all.

-10. Just, don't use jira.

> * ??? (anything else any of you can think of?)

I think github is a great solution for this project.

Dan

@ 2018-04-24  8:48   ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2018-04-24  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi!
> > * GitHub issues
> >   - probably the easiest solution
> >   - we can create a specific labels to sort these out
> >   - needs GitHub account which everybody has already
> >   - some operations could be done only by LTP project members
> >     I'm not sure if random users can add labels for example
>
> +1. It meets the requirements (except open source), and is already
> established. To be successful, LTP's github probably needs more
> curation. I see a lot of pull requests and issues opened for a long time
> without any action. This is true of any solution, of course.

Well I should be a bit more proactive there, most of the issues that
stay open for long time are these where the original author lost
interest in getting the changes upstream, quite a few of them could be
closed with "no response" at this point.

> Also, importantly, github is where the developers are (like it or not).

True.

There were two responses so far with two +1 for GitHub so I suppose that
this is the way forward.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-24 13:42     ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2018-04-24 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi,

> > Also, importantly, github is where the developers are (like it or not).
> True.
Yes, but most of valid / useful patches we got via mailing list.

> There were two responses so far with two +1 for GitHub so I suppose that
> this is the way forward.
I'd like to note to README.md, that we prefer get patches over mailing list (+ note
patchwork), than via github pull request.

Kind regards,
Petr

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-24 13:44       ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2018-04-24 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi!
> > There were two responses so far with two +1 for GitHub so I suppose that
> > this is the way forward.
> I'd like to note to README.md, that we prefer get patches over mailing list (+ note patchwork), than via github pull request.

The point here is that mailing list is generally unsuitable for managing
backlog/todo-list at least I cannot imagine how can we use it that way...

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-24 14:04         ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2018-04-24 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi Cyril,

> > > There were two responses so far with two +1 for GitHub so I suppose that
> > > this is the way forward.
> > I'd like to note to README.md, that we prefer get patches over mailing list (+ note patchwork), than via github
pull request.

> The point here is that mailing list is generally unsuitable for managing
> backlog/todo-list at least I cannot imagine how can we use it that way...

I'm not talking about taking mailing list as a bug tracker.
I mean I'd prefer github being just for bug tracking only.
I.e. Not using it much for pull requests.

Kind regards,
Petr

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-25 14:29           ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2018-04-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hi!
> I'm not talking about taking mailing list as a bug tracker.
> I mean I'd prefer github being just for bug tracking only.
> I.e. Not using it much for pull requests.

I do prefer maliling lists for patches over github pull request as well
however trying to stop people from sending pull requests is like trying
to reverse river stream with your bare hands. You will be flushed down
with the stream either way no matter how hard you try. So what I do is
to ask people nicely to send patches over to the mailing list but I will
certainly not force anyone.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* [LTP] Ticket tracking system for LTP
@ 2018-04-26  1:44     ` Sandeep Patil
From: Sandeep Patil @ 2018-04-26  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:48:38AM +0200, Cyril Hrubis wrote:
> Hi!
> > > * GitHub issues
> > >   - probably the easiest solution
> > >   - we can create a specific labels to sort these out
> > >   - needs GitHub account which everybody has already
> > >   - some operations could be done only by LTP project members
> > >     I'm not sure if random users can add labels for example
> >
> > +1. It meets the requirements (except open source), and is already
> > established. To be successful, LTP's github probably needs more
> > curation. I see a lot of pull requests and issues opened for a long time
> > without any action. This is true of any solution, of course.
>
> Well I should be a bit more proactive there, most of the issues that
> stay open for long time are these where the original author lost
> interest in getting the changes upstream, quite a few of them could be
> closed with "no response" at this point.
>
> > Also, importantly, github is where the developers are (like it or not).
>
> True.
>
> There were two responses so far with two +1 for GitHub so I suppose that
> this is the way forward.

FWIW, +1 :).

- ssp