* [Buildroot] Running script after init
@ 2021-11-16 12:08 José Pekkarinen
From: José Pekkarinen @ 2021-11-16 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Any hint what would be the right place in buildroot

userspace to put an script after the init process is over?

Thanks!

José Pekkarinen.

* Re: [Buildroot] Running script after init
@ 2021-11-16 14:25 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2021-11-16 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: José Pekkarinen; +Cc: buildroot

Hello José,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:08:02 +0200
José Pekkarinen <jose.pekkarinen@unikie.com> wrote:

> Any hint what would be the right place in buildroot
>
> userspace to put an script after the init process is over?

The init process by itself is never over, it continues to run until you
reboot your system.

Could you clarify your question? You want a service to be started after
all other services?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training

* Re: [Buildroot] Running script after init
@ 2021-11-17 12:48   ` José Pekkarinen
From: José Pekkarinen @ 2021-11-17 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: buildroot

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hello José,
>
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:08:02 +0200
> José Pekkarinen <jose.pekkarinen@unikie.com> wrote:
>
> > Any hint what would be the right place in buildroot
> >
> > userspace to put an script after the init process is over?
>
> The init process by itself is never over, it continues to run until you
> reboot your system.
>
> Could you clarify your question? You want a service to be started after
> all other services?

Hi,

I want to run a script after the TTYs are up and running.

Currently I run the script as S99myscript, and put a call in the
start, and it fails. If I later logging as root and manually run the
S99myscript start, it runs well.

Thanks!

José.

* Re: [Buildroot] Running script after init
@ 2021-11-17 20:29     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-11-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: José Pekkarinen, Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: buildroot

On 17/11/2021 13:48, José Pekkarinen wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com
> <mailto:thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello José,
>
>     On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:08:02 +0200
>     José Pekkarinen <jose.pekkarinen@unikie.com
>     <mailto:jose.pekkarinen@unikie.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Any hint what would be the right place in buildroot
>      >
>      > userspace to put an script after the init process is over?
>
>     The init process by itself is never over, it continues to run until you
>     reboot your system.
>
>     Could you clarify your question? You want a service to be started after
>     all other services?
>

>     Hi,
>
>     I want to run a script after the TTYs are up and running.
>
> Currently I run the script as S99myscript, and put a call in the
> start, and it fails. If I later logging as root and manually run the
> S99myscript start, it runs well.

  The ttys are started immediately after the last script in /etc/init.d has
finished, so it's unlikely a problem due to sequencing. More likely, the
difference you observe is due to the difference in environment between an
interactive login and when the init script is executed directly by init.

  To debug your init script, you can start it with

#! /bin/sh -x

This will echo each command before it is executed, which will help to determine
where it fails.

  Regards,
  Arnout

* Re: [Buildroot] Running script after init
@ 2021-11-18 10:18       ` José Pekkarinen
From: José Pekkarinen @ 2021-11-18 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle; +Cc: Thomas Petazzoni, buildroot