* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-03 22:06 srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-03 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

when driver has checkpatch cleanups in it's todo , does that also
including fixing warnings , should one try to fix them ?

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-03 22:39 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-02-03 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 03:36:02AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> when driver has checkpatch cleanups in it's todo , does that also
> including fixing warnings , should one try to fix them ?

Why wouldn't you do so?

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-03 22:50   ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I got this warning for a structure to be defined as constant , I have
fixed it by adding const , now this variable is not being used in this
file , so I was wondering if I should fix such warnings ? What if this
variable is used in some other file and the developer didn't want it
to be constant despite it producing a warning ? Maybe I am wrong .

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 4:09 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 03:36:02AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
>> when driver has checkpatch cleanups in it's todo , does that also
>> including fixing warnings , should one try to fix them ?
>
> Why wouldn't you do so?

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-04  8:20     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-02-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 04:20:53AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> I got this warning for a structure to be defined as constant , I have
> fixed it by adding const , now this variable is not being used in this
> file , so I was wondering if I should fix such warnings ? What if this
> variable is used in some other file and the developer didn't want it
> to be constant despite it producing a warning ? Maybe I am wrong .

I have no idea what you are talking about, you are going to have to be a
lot more specific, or even better yet, post your patch.

But remember, you can only do "one thing" per patch, so don't try to do
multiple things at the same time.  Use a series of patches for that.

good luck!

greg k-h

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-11  6:20       ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-11  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey , I have posted my first patch . Will I be notified if it gets accepted ?

Regards

Srishti

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 04:20:53AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
>> I got this warning for a structure to be defined as constant , I have
>> fixed it by adding const , now this variable is not being used in this
>> file , so I was wondering if I should fix such warnings ? What if this
>> variable is used in some other file and the developer didn't want it
>> to be constant despite it producing a warning ? Maybe I am wrong .
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about, you are going to have to be a
> lot more specific, or even better yet, post your patch.
>
> But remember, you can only do "one thing" per patch, so don't try to do
> multiple things at the same time.  Use a series of patches for that.
>
> good luck!
>
> greg k-h

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-11  7:21         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-02-11  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:50:19AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> Hey , I have posted my first patch . Will I be notified if it gets accepted ?

Yes, or if it rejected, like I just did :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-11  8:04           ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-11  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

It was because of the documentation not being proper , as per the mail
sent by your bot , right ? I will fix those errors and re-send it .

Thanks

Regards

Srishti

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:50:19AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
>> Hey , I have posted my first patch . Will I be notified if it gets accepted ?
>
> Yes, or if it rejected, like I just did :)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* driver todo's
@ 2017-02-14 15:15             ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2017-02-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 8:04 AM, srishti sharma <srishtishar@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It was because of the documentation not being proper , as per the mail
> sent by your bot , right ? I will fix those errors and re-send it .
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Kernel-janitor is the right place to post minor fixes.
They send a lot of patches on regular basis, which is a good place to look
at the procedure for sending patches to right place.
Also reading about following the correct procedure on sending patches from
kernel documentation is vital before sending patches.

PS:   Avoid top posting. This list(and other open source lists) prefer
bottom posting.

Srishti

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:50:19AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> >> Hey , I have posted my first patch . Will I be notified if it gets
> accepted ?
> >
> > Yes, or if it rejected, like I just did :)
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h

Thank you
Warm Regards