* Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-09 18:27 Emily Shaffer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-09 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi all,

As I briefly mentioned at the end of Brad's presentation today, I'd like to
propose adding and enforcing a code of conduct for us to follow.

For now, I am planning to grab a copy of the Linux CoC and put it up for
review in /docs. If anybody has a different CoC source to suggest, I'd be
happy to discuss.

Brad asked me whether I had seen an issue so far and I had not, so please
don't take this email as some kind of retaliation - it's not. I think we've
got a great, positive community and as we grow I'd like to preserve that
culture, and the code of conduct is a great way to do so.

- Emily

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-09 18:31 ` Jeff Osier-Mixon
From: Jeff Osier-Mixon @ 2018-10-09 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi folks

We strongly recommend the contributor covenant coc. Being adopted by many
projects.

https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct

Glad to discuss more

@ 2018-10-09 18:53   ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-09 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Osier-Mixon; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Reading through this, I've got a couple concerns:

- There's a clause for enforcement. How do we want to assign ownership when
enforcement is needed? We probably want to lay it out, I'm not sure that it
should come through the TSC. Maybe Kurt would be a good start as the
community manager? No offense to Kurt but I'd also like an escalation path
or alternative path - with these kinds of things it's important to be able
to bypass an individual if necessary.

- The clause on scope seems to me like it may leave a gap surrounding
harassment of community members outside of the official OpenBMC setting -
ie, Foo posts to their Twitter account, "I'm having a lot of trouble with
Bar's code reviews. What an idiot! Tell them so - their email is bar@baz.org!"
I'm not sure I'm seeing how the contributor covenant protects against this
kind of behavior. Maybe I'm just misreading and this counts as "prviate
communication"?

@ 2018-10-10  6:23 ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2018-10-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer, OpenBMC Maillist

Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer@google.com> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> As I briefly mentioned at the end of Brad's presentation today, I'd like to
> propose adding and enforcing a code of conduct for us to follow.
>
> For now, I am planning to grab a copy of the Linux CoC and put it up for
> review in /docs. If anybody has a different CoC source to suggest, I'd be
> happy to discuss.
>
> Brad asked me whether I had seen an issue so far and I had not, so please
> don't take this email as some kind of retaliation - it's not. I think we've
> got a great, positive community and as we grow I'd like to preserve that
> culture, and the code of conduct is a great way to do so.

Now's the time to do it. Taking an existing one is likely a really good
idea as no doubt corporations are about to start looking at these along
with contributor agreements and licensing before engaging in a project.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-10  6:53     ` Jeff Osier-Mixon
From: Jeff Osier-Mixon @ 2018-10-10  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

You are absolutely right to ask these questions, and I'm sure each
community will want to fine-tune it, although as a community manager I
actually prefer some of the vagueness in it. It is normal to add to a CoC
to try to cover all the bases, but people will always think up ways to
violate the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter. For a
positive community (like openbmc) the CoC is a guideline for new users,
rather than legislation for behavior, as it should be.

The best offense is a good community manager who can set the tone, with an
escalation path to a TSC or governing board, whichever is appropriate for a
given community. Ideally it would never be used - it never has been needed
in almost 8 yrs of the Yocto Project, as the leaders simply set a tone of
respect.

That's a really good question of harassment outside. Technically it is
private conversation, or outside the project's boundaries. If I were
community mgr in that case, I would have a frank conversation with the
harasser and let them know that simply isn't the way escalation is done in
this project, then provide the proper way and make sure their concern is
answered while respecting both sides. That being said, being hands-on
doesn't scale up to thousands of participants.

One more tidbit - this is the same CoC adopted by the kernel community and
several other high profile communities, so there is precedent within the
wider open source community for it. One thing I like quite a lot about it
is that it is itself open source - if I find a bug with it, I can submit a
pull request to the CoC itself.

I hope this is helpful to the process and not disruptive  :)

@ 2018-10-10 14:03       ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Osier-Mixon; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:53 PM Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You are absolutely right to ask these questions, and I'm sure each
> community will want to fine-tune it, although as a community manager I
> actually prefer some of the vagueness in it. It is normal to add to a CoC
> to try to cover all the bases, but people will always think up ways to
> violate the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter. For a
> positive community (like openbmc) the CoC is a guideline for new users,
> rather than legislation for behavior, as it should be.

As long as we're aware that there's a line to tread with the vagueness, I
don't mind. IMO one of the points is to highlight to community members what
is and isn't abusive language, so having a code that's too vague opens the
door for a victim to be gaslit out of realizing there is a problem going
on.  I don't feel that's an issue with this Contributor Covenant.

> The best offense is a good community manager who can set the tone, with an
> escalation path to a TSC or governing board, whichever is appropriate for a
> given community. Ideally it would never be used - it never has been needed
> in almost 8 yrs of the Yocto Project, as the leaders simply set a tone of
> respect.

+1000. Like I said at the outset, I don't think this is to address a
problem happening now, so much as it is to codify our current positive
culture and cover ourselves for later.

> That's a really good question of harassment outside. Technically it is
> private conversation, or outside the project's boundaries. If I were
> community mgr in that case, I would have a frank conversation with the
> harasser and let them know that simply isn't the way escalation is done in
> this project, then provide the proper way and make sure their concern is
> answered while respecting both sides. That being said, being hands-on
> doesn't scale up to thousands of participants.
>
> One more tidbit - this is the same CoC adopted by the kernel community and
> several other high profile communities, so there is precedent within the
> wider open source community for it. One thing I like quite a lot about it
> is that it is itself open source - if I find a bug with it, I can submit a
> pull request to the CoC itself.
>
> I hope this is helpful to the process and not disruptive  :)

I've got a copy of the Contributor Covenant up for review in docs/ now:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/docs/+/13920/

Happy to continue discussion in both places.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-10 14:44 ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2018-10-10 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 10/9/18 1:27 PM, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I briefly mentioned at the end of Brad's presentation today, I'd like
> to propose adding and enforcing a code of conduct for us to follow.
>
> For now, I am planning to grab a copy of the Linux CoC and put it up for
> review in /docs. If anybody has a different CoC source to suggest, I'd
> be happy to discuss.

We have a CoC covered in the OpenBMC Charter under the LF policies. We
can, of course over-ride that one and propose our own.

See:
https://www.openbmc.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/62/2018/03/charter_openbmc_02142018.pdf
(4.b. "Compliance with Policies")

It points to the one here:
https://lfprojects.org/policies/code-of-conduct/

> Brad asked me whether I had seen an issue so far and I had not, so
> please don't take this email as some kind of retaliation - it's not. I
> think we've got a great, positive community and as we grow I'd like to
> preserve that culture, and the code of conduct is a great way to do so.

I couldn't agree more!

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-10 14:58     ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2018-10-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 10/9/18 1:53 PM, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> Reading through this, I've got a couple concerns:
>
> - There's a clause for enforcement. How do we want to assign ownership
> when enforcement is needed? We probably want to lay it out, I'm not sure
> that it should come through the TSC. Maybe Kurt would be a good start as
> the community manager? No offense to Kurt but I'd also like an
> escalation path or alternative path - with these kinds of things it's
> important to be able to bypass an individual if necessary.

Re: Community Manager, I am already partially doing that in an
unofficial sense, but for an escalation path, I would highly recommend
first reaching out to the TSC. Any inappropriate activity or harassment
must be taken care of immediately and the community leadership would be
tasked to take care of that.

> - The clause on scope seems to me like it may leave a gap surrounding
> harassment of community members outside of the official OpenBMC setting
> - ie, Foo posts to their Twitter account, "I'm having a lot of trouble
> with Bar's code reviews. What an idiot! Tell them so - their email is
> bar@baz.org <mailto:bar@baz.org>!" I'm not sure I'm seeing how the
> contributor covenant protects against this kind of behavior. Maybe I'm
> just misreading and this counts as "prviate communication"?

This would absolutely require that the person be put on notice. Maybe it
will help, but I have also never seen this behavior work for anyone
trying to harass anyone. It has always backfired on the person doing the
harassing in every case I can think of (I have been involved in a couple).

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro.net@gmail.com
> <mailto:jefro.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks
>
>     We strongly recommend the contributor covenant coc. Being adopted by
>     many projects.
>
>     https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct
>
>     Glad to discuss more

As I said in my previous email, we already have a CoC under the LF
policies, but I am not opposed to adopting a new one. That said, do we
need to improve the existing one? Is there something missing? Has anyone
compared the two? Did I just sign up to do that?  :)

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-11  2:51       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-10-11  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krtaylor; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM krtaylor <kurt.r.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/18 1:53 PM, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> > Reading through this, I've got a couple concerns:
> >
> > - There's a clause for enforcement. How do we want to assign ownership
> > when enforcement is needed? We probably want to lay it out, I'm not sure
> > that it should come through the TSC. Maybe Kurt would be a good start as
> > the community manager? No offense to Kurt but I'd also like an
> > escalation path or alternative path - with these kinds of things it's
> > important to be able to bypass an individual if necessary.
>
> Re: Community Manager, I am already partially doing that in an
> unofficial sense, but for an escalation path, I would highly recommend
> first reaching out to the TSC. Any inappropriate activity or harassment
> must be taken care of immediately and the community leadership would be
> tasked to take care of that.
>

> > - The clause on scope seems to me like it may leave a gap surrounding
> > harassment of community members outside of the official OpenBMC setting
> > - ie, Foo posts to their Twitter account, "I'm having a lot of trouble
> > with Bar's code reviews. What an idiot! Tell them so - their email is
> > bar@baz.org <mailto:bar@baz.org>!" I'm not sure I'm seeing how the
> > contributor covenant protects against this kind of behavior. Maybe I'm
> > just misreading and this counts as "prviate communication"?
>
> This would absolutely require that the person be put on notice. Maybe it
> will help, but I have also never seen this behavior work for anyone
> trying to harass anyone. It has always backfired on the person doing the
> harassing in every case I can think of (I have been involved in a couple).
>

> > On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro.net@gmail.com
> > <mailto:jefro.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi folks
> >
> >     We strongly recommend the contributor covenant coc. Being adopted by
> >     many projects.
> >
> >     https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct
> >
> >     Glad to discuss more
>
> As I said in my previous email, we already have a CoC under the LF
> policies, but I am not opposed to adopting a new one. That said, do we
> need to improve the existing one? Is there something missing? Has anyone
> compared the two? Did I just sign up to do that?  :)
>
> Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

I just read over the LF CoC and I think it's pretty solid.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-11 21:21         ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, krtaylor

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:52 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM krtaylor <kurt.r.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/9/18 1:53 PM, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> > > Reading through this, I've got a couple concerns:
> > >
> > > - There's a clause for enforcement. How do we want to assign ownership
> > > when enforcement is needed? We probably want to lay it out, I'm not
> sure
> > > that it should come through the TSC. Maybe Kurt would be a good start
> as
> > > the community manager? No offense to Kurt but I'd also like an
> > > escalation path or alternative path - with these kinds of things it's
> > > important to be able to bypass an individual if necessary.
> >
> > Re: Community Manager, I am already partially doing that in an
> > unofficial sense, but for an escalation path, I would highly recommend
> > first reaching out to the TSC. Any inappropriate activity or harassment
> > must be taken care of immediately and the community leadership would be
> > tasked to take care of that.
> >

> > > - The clause on scope seems to me like it may leave a gap surrounding
> > > harassment of community members outside of the official OpenBMC setting
> > > - ie, Foo posts to their Twitter account, "I'm having a lot of trouble
> > > with Bar's code reviews. What an idiot! Tell them so - their email is
> > > bar@baz.org <mailto:bar@baz.org>!" I'm not sure I'm seeing how the
> > > contributor covenant protects against this kind of behavior. Maybe I'm
> > > just misreading and this counts as "prviate communication"?
> >
> > This would absolutely require that the person be put on notice. Maybe it
> > will help, but I have also never seen this behavior work for anyone
> > trying to harass anyone. It has always backfired on the person doing the
> > harassing in every case I can think of (I have been involved in a
> couple).
> >

> > > On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro.net@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:jefro.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Hi folks
> > >
> > >     We strongly recommend the contributor covenant coc. Being adopted
> by
> > >     many projects.
> > >
> > >     https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct
> > >
> > >     Glad to discuss more
> >
> > As I said in my previous email, we already have a CoC under the LF
> > policies, but I am not opposed to adopting a new one. That said, do we
> > need to improve the existing one? Is there something missing? Has anyone
> > compared the two? Did I just sign up to do that?  :)
> >
> > Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)
>
> I just read over the LF CoC and I think it's pretty solid.

I'd say my only serious concern about the LF one is that it directs
concerns to someone outside of the project, first. It seems like we can
expedite responses if we encourage folks to report via the TSC or community
manager first, and escalate to the LF community manager if necessary.

As a side point, we should make it more clear that we adhere to the LF CoC.
I would be comfortable mentioning it explicitly in some doc in docs/ or the
openbmc/openbmc readme, or something. Looking for LF membership and then
from there to the CoC isn't very clear to me.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-11 21:26           ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-10-11 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, krtaylor

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:52 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

>> > Re: Community Manager, I am already partially doing that in an
>> > unofficial sense, but for an escalation path, I would highly recommend
>> > first reaching out to the TSC. Any inappropriate activity or harassment
>> > must be taken care of immediately and the community leadership would be
>> > tasked to take care of that.

>> > This would absolutely require that the person be put on notice. Maybe it
>> > will help, but I have also never seen this behavior work for anyone
>> > trying to harass anyone. It has always backfired on the person doing the
>> > harassing in every case I can think of (I have been involved in a couple).

>> > As I said in my previous email, we already have a CoC under the LF
>> > policies, but I am not opposed to adopting a new one. That said, do we
>> > need to improve the existing one? Is there something missing? Has anyone
>> > compared the two? Did I just sign up to do that?  :)
>> >
>> > Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)
>>
>> I just read over the LF CoC and I think it's pretty solid.
>

> I'd say my only serious concern about the LF one is that it directs concerns to someone outside of the project, first. It seems like we can expedite responses if we encourage folks to report via the TSC or community manager first, and escalate to the LF community manager if necessary.

True, but one would typically see this be a level thing -- if
something isn't severe, keep it in house, otherwise escalate. But who
defines when to escalate or what's severe or,... yeah, it is nice to
keep some aspect in the project so that minor things might be worked
out more quickly.. but I don't know.

> As a side point, we should make it more clear that we adhere to the LF CoC. I would be comfortable mentioning it explicitly in some doc in docs/ or the openbmc/openbmc readme, or something. Looking for LF membership and then from there to the CoC isn't very clear to me.

We should definitely point to something somewhere.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-11 21:28             ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, krtaylor

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018, 2:26 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer@google.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:52 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com>
> wrote:

> ownership
> sure
> start as
> it's

> harassment
> be

> surrounding
> setting
> trouble
> is
> I'm

> it
> the
> couple).

> jefro.net@gmail.com

> adopted by
> >> > >

> https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct

> anyone

> >> I just read over the LF CoC and I think it's pretty solid.
> >

> > I'd say my only serious concern about the LF one is that it directs
> concerns to someone outside of the project, first. It seems like we can
> expedite responses if we encourage folks to report via the TSC or community
> manager first, and escalate to the LF community manager if necessary.
>
> True, but one would typically see this be a level thing -- if
> something isn't severe, keep it in house, otherwise escalate. But who
> defines when to escalate or what's severe or,... yeah, it is nice to
> keep some aspect in the project so that minor things might be worked
> out more quickly.. but I don't know.
>

> > As a side point, we should make it more clear that we adhere to the LF
> CoC. I would be comfortable mentioning it explicitly in some doc in docs/
> or the openbmc/openbmc readme, or something. Looking for LF membership and
> then from there to the CoC isn't very clear to me.
>
> We should definitely point to something somewhere.

FWIW, I just surprised a contributor to a different LF project when I told
him we were under the LF CoC already - he didn't know his project had
inherited a CoC either. Sounds like this is an issue that might be a little
widespread.

* Re: Community Code of Conduct
@ 2018-10-15 18:24               ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-10-15 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)