* [meta-raspberrypi] Compute Module 3 machine .conf questions
@ 2018-04-30 23:40 Steve Pavao
From: Steve Pavao @ 2018-04-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

My company has bought a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 for evaluation, and I have a 2 questions about the supplied machine .conf files for it.

1. Should the supplied raspberrypi-cm3.conf file internally refer to the Raspberry Pi 3 instead of the Raspberry Pi 2, since the RPi3 is the hardware basis of the Compute Module 3?

2. Should there also be an additional .conf file supplied in the meta-raspberry pi layer for a 64-bit version of poky Linux for the Compute Module 3, just as there is a raspberrypi3-64 machine .conf for the RPi3?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts about this.

- Steve Pavao
Korg R&D

.

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Compute Module 3 machine .conf questions
@ 2018-05-01 13:39 ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2018-05-01 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Pavao; +Cc: yocto

Hi Steve,

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 12:40 AM, Steve Pavao <stevep@korgrd.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My company has bought a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 for evaluation, and
> I have a 2 questions about the supplied machine .conf files for it.
>
> 1. Should the supplied raspberrypi-cm3.conf file internally refer to the
> Raspberry Pi 3 instead of the Raspberry Pi 2, since the RPi3 is the
> hardware basis of the Compute Module 3?

RaspberryPi 3 is currently almost the same as RaspberryPi 2 in terms of
configuration. What is the problem you are facing?

> 2. Should there also be an additional .conf file supplied in the
> meta-raspberry pi layer for a 64-bit version of poky Linux for the Compute
> Module 3, just as there is a raspberrypi3-64 machine .conf for the RPi3?

You can use directly raspberrypi3-64 as far as I am aware. The cm confs are
used as aliases right now. They point to one of the Raspberrypi 2 or 3
machine configurations.

--
Andrei G.

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Compute Module 3 machine .conf questions
@ 2018-05-02 22:56   ` Steve Pavao
From: Steve Pavao @ 2018-05-02 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: yocto

Hi Andrei,

We were able to verify that we could directly use the raspberrypi3-64.conf for the cm3 as 64-bit, as you had suggested.  Thanks for that suggestion.

It just seemed a bit confusing that there is only one cm3 machine conf, and it tunnels through to a rpi2.  All the online doc about the cm3 mentions the rpi3.  A colleague wonders if there are any differences that
someone was planning to eventually use that cm3 conf to enumerate, otherwise - having a cm3 conf seems like unnecessary duplication.

Thanks again for your help!

- Steve Pavao
Korg R&D

@ 2018-05-14 16:21     ` Andrei Gherzan