* About guiding hello world module submission
@ 2015-06-24  4:49 Mayur Patil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mayur Patil @ 2015-06-24  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

   I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to teach how
to write

and send your first linux kernel device driver. Could please suggest me the
place where I

can guide the students to send the device driver?

Thanks !!

Mayur S Patil,
Looking for R&D or Soft Engg positions,
Pune, India.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* About guiding hello world module submission
@ 2015-06-24  7:36 ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2015-06-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Mayur Patil <linuxcraz23@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to teach how
> to write
>
> and send your first linux kernel device driver. Could please suggest me the
> place where I
>
> can guide the students to send the device driver?

Not sure what do you want to achieve with this. To show students
how to contribute to the Linux kernel you can find small coding style
issues in the drivers/staging/ directory and send them to Greg KH.

We are doing this every year and its a lot of fun.

You can start with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

thanks,
Daniel.

* About guiding hello world module submission
@ 2015-06-24  8:38 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-06-24  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Mayur Patil wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> ?? I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to
> teach how to write and send your first linux kernel device driver.
> Could please suggest me the place where I can guide the students to
> send the device driver?

  once upon a time, i wrote an (admittedly-dated) online course on how
to get started with kernel programming (and, yes, it needs updating
:-P):

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming

ignore the $39 reference, the course has been publicly available for
free for a while.

  on the second point -- how to *send* that driver to the kernel --
don't you kind of need a rationale for why you're working on a driver
that isn't in the kernel already? i suspect that if you're already
competent enough to be writing a driver for something that isn't in
the kernel, you probably already know the protocol for submitting it,
no?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* About guiding hello world module submission
@ 2015-06-24 10:03 ` anish singh
From: anish singh @ 2015-06-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Mayur Patil <linuxcraz23@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to teach
> how to write

Great

> and send your first linux kernel device driver. Could please suggest me
> the place where I
>
> can guide the students to send the device driver?

./scripts/getmaintainer.pl should tell you that if you feed it with right
patch file or the file
which you are trying to modify.

@ 2015-06-24 17:27   ` Mayur Patil
From: Mayur Patil @ 2015-06-24 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Robert,

   I am only done with writing basic device drivers and kernel compilation.

I also know that we can send patches/drivers to

majordomo at vger.kernel.org

But sending sample device drivers to that list will not be good etiquette.

That's why I am asking.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Mayur Patil wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I am conducting one workshop at FUDCon in which I am trying to
> > teach how to write and send your first linux kernel device driver.
> > Could please suggest me the place where I can guide the students to
> > send the device driver?
>
>   once upon a time, i wrote an (admittedly-dated) online course on how
> to get started with kernel programming (and, yes, it needs updating
> :-P):
>

> http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming
>
> ignore the $39 reference, the course has been publicly available for
> free for a while.
>
>   on the second point -- how to *send* that driver to the kernel --
> don't you kind of need a rationale for why you're working on a driver
> that isn't in the kernel already? i suspect that if you're already
> competent enough to be writing a driver for something that isn't in
> the kernel, you probably already know the protocol for submitting it,
> no?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Mayur S Patil,
A research oriented program learner,

@ 2015-06-24 17:28   ` Mayur Patil
From: Mayur Patil @ 2015-06-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Daniel,

   I just want to make attendees confident enough that when they will go

home ,they will continue without worrying about silly details like:

- Attaching Plain Text attachment
- Write Correct Makefile
- Configure the Mail Clients to do so.

That's only thing I want to achieve.

@ 2015-06-24 23:06     ` Lukas Elsner
From: Lukas Elsner @ 2015-06-24 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
If i do not completely misunderstand you, I think you need some kind of
mailbox where the students can submit their patches. Afterwards you can get
the Emails together and discuss their results. I suppose you do not intend
to send dummy-patches to a real maintainer for getting his feedback?

Cheers
Lukas

@ 2015-06-25  4:44       ` Mayur Patil
From: Mayur Patil @ 2015-06-25  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Yes Lukas right I want to do the same.

Please help if you can.

Thanks !!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:36 AM, Lukas Elsner <kernel-dev@lukaselsner.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
> If i do not completely misunderstand you, I think you need some kind of
> mailbox where the students can submit their patches. Afterwards you can get
> the Emails together and discuss their results. I suppose you do not intend
> to send dummy-patches to a real maintainer for getting his feedback?
>
> Cheers
> Lukas
>
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 at 03:28 Mayur Patil <linuxcraz23@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>>    I just want to make attendees confident enough that when they will go
>>
>> home ,they will continue without worrying about silly details like:
>>
>> - Attaching Plain Text attachment
>> - Write Correct Makefile
>> - Configure the Mail Clients to do so.
>>
>> That's only thing I want to achieve.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> teach how

>>> me the

>>> Not sure what do you want to achieve with this. To show students
>>> how to contribute to the Linux kernel you can find small coding style
>>> issues in the drivers/staging/ directory and send them to Greg KH.
>>>
>>> We are doing this every year and its a lot of fun.
>>>
>>> You can start with this video:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Daniel

*-- *

*Regards,Mayur S Patil,Looking for R&D or Soft Engg positions,Pune, India.*

@ 2015-06-25  6:17         ` Lukas Elsner
From: Lukas Elsner @ 2015-06-25  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey Mayur,
I am not exactly sure what you need.

1) If you need to know how to send patches per mail, check Greg's talk here
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4)
2) If you need help setting up an email inbox for receiving student's
patches, just go for one of your preferred freemail hoster (they probably
all suck)
3) If you need an inbox with Webmailer/POP3/IMAP, I can set you up one on
one of my domains. Just drop me a line and I'm gonna set it up for you.
4) If you need something completely else, ask more precisely! ;)

Cheers,
Lukas