* GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
@ 2017-05-24  9:52 Shahar Or
       [not found] ` <CAF3gKsxF4aHmPXaBp_hBWU9YY0b4POU7Q-zVMxQdvfLPXbLkQA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shahar Or @ 2017-05-24  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hey, I am experiencing some issues in Ubuntu 17.10 with this card.

Before I add any info, perhaps this is not at all supported? I don't see
this card in the feature matrix:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
       [not found] ` <CAF3gKsxF4aHmPXaBp_hBWU9YY0b4POU7Q-zVMxQdvfLPXbLkQA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-05-24 15:04   ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7UvizmS==c21wZfe2V2q1p7awpWmi8FwQhYJWX-V+sxcdgQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-05-24 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahar Or; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

GP102 should be supported. Depending on what you're looking for to be
supported, your distribution may not be shipping the required versions
of various software.

@ 2017-05-24 15:21       ` Shahar Or
       [not found]         ` <CAF3gKsx=HrJEB+cmJU8comm6F4JbEC0ATHG76sT34sR4qhuVeg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shahar Or @ 2017-05-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

"should be supported" sounds promising. Do you know since what version of
what things it "should be supported", please?

@ 2017-05-24 16:06           ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]             ` <CAKb7UvhwFfUF4Nn-4uW9ykK=T1nSbJYMvDkO9OmA6j6SiGyGQQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-05-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahar Or; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Linux Kernel 4.8 for modesetting (although there were important fixes
later on, so at least 4.10 is probably good), and Linux Kernel 4.12
for GPU acceleration (for which you'll also need Mesa 17.1.x).

Cheers,

  -ilia

@ 2017-05-25 16:08               ` Shahar Or
       [not found]                 ` <CAF3gKszoN1kSZD7RBAnvJ=BqsMRK37ws3-vNp6wdys=V62D4vg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shahar Or @ 2017-05-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Thanks for the info. Two issues:

If I don't set `nomodeset` in the Linux args I get a freeze at boot. Know
anything about that?

Another issue is that in Google Chrome I seem have no hardware acceleration
for anything other than "Multiple Raster Threads". See attached.

If my kernel/libs are too old, please just tell me to fluff off. But I am
on the development branch of Ubuntu...

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
> Linux Kernel 4.8 for modesetting (although there were important fixes
> later on, so at least 4.10 is probably good), and Linux Kernel 4.12
> for GPU acceleration (for which you'll also need Mesa 17.1.x).
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -ilia
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Shahar Or <mightyiampresence-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > "should be supported" sounds promising. Do you know since what version of
> > what things it "should be supported", please?
> >
> > On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 6:04 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> GP102 should be supported. Depending on what you're looking for to be
> >> supported, your distribution may not be shipping the required versions
> >> of various software.

> see

[-- Attachment #2: gpu.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 55037 bytes --]

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
@ 2017-05-25 16:16                   ` Ilia Mirkin
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-05-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahar Or; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Shahar Or <mightyiampresence@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Two issues:
>
> If I don't set `nomodeset` in the Linux args I get a freeze at boot. Know
> anything about that?

"nomodeset" is another way of saying "disable all graphics stuff".
Since "graphics stuff" is what you're trying to achieve, this isn't a
viable workaround.

Would have to see the logs to see why you're getting a freeze on boot
when nouveau actually tries to load.

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
@ 2017-05-25 16:20                   ` Pierre Moreau
       [not found]                     ` <20170525162044.jit5ciapzee2b5gg-WLoDKDh+7sdAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Pierre Moreau @ 2017-05-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahar Or; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

> Another issue is that in Google Chrome I seem have no hardware acceleration
> for anything other than "Multiple Raster Threads". See attached.

Two things: you are using nomodeset, and hardware acceleration for Pascal cards
was only merged in 4.12 (which has not been released yet), as pointed out by
Ilia.

Pierre

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
       [not found]                     ` <20170525162044.jit5ciapzee2b5gg-WLoDKDh+7sdAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-21 14:01                       ` Shahar Or
       [not found]                         ` <CAF3gKszQB4CDfKESqVFWjzE8vhMu3KzSCyXRKQvUww8WBWwRXA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shahar Or @ 2017-08-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Since the Ubuntu 17.10 that I'm running now has Linux 4.12, there should be
some support for my card, yet I still experience the same phenomenon.

If I DO NOT use `nomodeset`, I see the boot log shooting through and then
blank. I can tell that it is not a system halt, because I can
ctrl-alt-delete and the OS catches that and safely reboots.

It is the official Ubuntu 4.12.0-11-generic, x86_64.

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX
1080 Ti] (rev a1)

How can I further help you help me, please?

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM Pierre Moreau <pierre.morrow-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Another issue is that in Google Chrome I seem have no hardware
> acceleration
> > for anything other than "Multiple Raster Threads". See attached.
>
> Two things: you are using nomodeset, and hardware acceleration for Pascal
> cards
> was only merged in 4.12 (which has not been released yet), as pointed out
> by
> Ilia.
>
> Pierre

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
@ 2017-08-26  0:17                           ` rosenp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                             ` <1503706621.2730.3.camel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: rosenp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2017-08-26  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahar Or, Ilia Mirkin, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

dmesg | grep nouveau . You can do this if you have ssh enabled on your
machine.

On my 980, There was an issue introduced in 4.12 which gives me similar
behavior where I cannot boot up GNOME. Commit that fixes it which is
part of 4.13 is called "add support for address-only transactions".

Ask your distro to backport.

On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 14:01 +0000, Shahar Or wrote:
> Since the Ubuntu 17.10 that I'm running now has Linux 4.12, there
> should be some support for my card, yet I still experience the same
> phenomenon.
>
> If I DO NOT use `nomodeset`, I see the boot log shooting through and
> then blank. I can tell that it is not a system halt, because I can
> ctrl-alt-delete and the OS catches that and safely reboots.
>
> It is the official Ubuntu 4.12.0-11-generic, x86_64.
>
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce
> GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)
>
> How can I further help you help me, please?
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM Pierre Moreau <pierre.morrow@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > Another issue is that in Google Chrome I seem have no hardware
> > acceleration
> > > for anything other than "Multiple Raster Threads". See attached.
> >
> > Two things: you are using nomodeset, and hardware acceleration for
> > Pascal cards
> > was only merged in 4.12 (which has not been released yet), as
> > pointed out by
> > Ilia.
> >
> > Pierre

* Re: GTX 1080 Ti (NV132/GP102)
       [not found]                             ` <1503706621.2730.3.camel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-13 18:35                               ` Shahar Or
From: Shahar Or @ 2017-09-13 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rosenp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Ilia Mirkin,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW, Eden Berger