* Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-03-28 19:55 Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-03-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Greetings,

We've gotten ourselves a nice big server to run our gerrit instance
on.  The virtual machine we're currently running in is going EOL
within the next few months so I've been slowly working on a
transition.  The migration should be pretty painless.  At some point
I'll take down the existing gerrit, migrate the data from it to our
new instance, and move the domain name over to the new server.

I've got a test instance going now and would appreciate some poking
around for anything obviously wrong.  It's running the latest stable
gerrit, so we'll be getting an upgrade in this process. I synch'd over
the data from the production gerrit this morning.

https://test-gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz

PLEASE NOTE: No review comments or merges or ... anything will be
saved or executed on this test-gerrit so don't get the two mixed up :)
 https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz is where all real work should
continue.

Andrew

* Re: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-02 22:46 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2018-04-02 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 29 March 2018 at 06:25, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We've gotten ourselves a nice big server to run our gerrit instance
> on.  The virtual machine we're currently running in is going EOL
> within the next few months so I've been slowly working on a
> transition.  The migration should be pretty painless.  At some point
> I'll take down the existing gerrit, migrate the data from it to our
> new instance, and move the domain name over to the new server.
>
> I've got a test instance going now and would appreciate some poking
> around for anything obviously wrong.  It's running the latest stable
> gerrit, so we'll be getting an upgrade in this process. I synch'd over
> the data from the production gerrit this morning.
>
> https://test-gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz

Thanks Andrew!

I had a poke around and it looks good. Much snappier than the old instance.

Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-03 15:30   ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-04-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
> On 29 March 2018 at 06:25, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We've gotten ourselves a nice big server to run our gerrit instance
>> on.  The virtual machine we're currently running in is going EOL
>> within the next few months so I've been slowly working on a
>> transition.  The migration should be pretty painless.  At some point
>> I'll take down the existing gerrit, migrate the data from it to our
>> new instance, and move the domain name over to the new server.
>>
>> I've got a test instance going now and would appreciate some poking
>> around for anything obviously wrong.  It's running the latest stable
>> gerrit, so we'll be getting an upgrade in this process. I synch'd over
>> the data from the production gerrit this morning.
>>
>> https://test-gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz
>
> Thanks Andrew!
>
> I had a poke around and it looks good. Much snappier than the old instance.

Thanks for taking a look!

> Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?

In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
gerrit.openbmc.org.

> Cheers,
>
> Joel

FYI everyone - The migration is tentatively planned for this weekend.

* Re: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-03 15:50     ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-04-03 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, at 01:00, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
> > On 29 March 2018 at 06:25, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> We've gotten ourselves a nice big server to run our gerrit instance
> >> on.  The virtual machine we're currently running in is going EOL
> >> within the next few months so I've been slowly working on a
> >> transition.  The migration should be pretty painless.  At some point
> >> I'll take down the existing gerrit, migrate the data from it to our
> >> new instance, and move the domain name over to the new server.
> >>
> >> I've got a test instance going now and would appreciate some poking
> >> around for anything obviously wrong.  It's running the latest stable
> >> gerrit, so we'll be getting an upgrade in this process. I synch'd over
> >> the data from the production gerrit this morning.
> >>
> >> https://test-gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz
> >
> > Thanks Andrew!
> >
> > I had a poke around and it looks good. Much snappier than the old instance.
>
> Thanks for taking a look!
>

> > Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?
>
> In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
> keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
> Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
> gerrit.openbmc.org.
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joel
>
> FYI everyone - The migration is tentatively planned for this weekend.

Looking forward to it! Hope it goes smoothly.

* Fwd: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-19 12:37 ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-04-19 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hello everyone,

I got agreement from the current VM and openbmc-project.xyz domain
owner to work with me today on this transition.  The bad news is that
it's going to have to happen today at around 4:30pm Central time.

A good excuse for the west coast crew to start an early Thursday happy hour.

My estimate on the outage is around 2 hours. There will be no impact
or domain changes. We'll just move the DNS for
gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz over to the new server.

Andrew

[...]

* Domains (was: Migration to new gerrit server is coming)
@ 2018-04-19 13:43     ` Alexander Amelkin
From: Alexander Amelkin @ 2018-04-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

03.04.2018 18:30, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
>> Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?
> In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
> keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
> Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
> gerrit.openbmc.org.
I'm kind of lost with all these domains...
I remember we have an ongoing effort to move all d-bus stuff from
org.openbmc to xyz.openbmc-project.
Now you're saying we'll be moving gerrit to openbmc.org...
What is the official domain for openbmc now?
Are we going to move the d-bus stuff back to org.openbmc now?
Personally, I would welcome that as I hate the .xyz TLD as it is
meaningless and beside that has some not very nice connotation for any
Russian speaker. I also think that short 'openbmc' is way more neat than
'openbmc-project'.
Also, as openbmc-project.xyz is owned by Patrick Williams (as well as
OpenBMC IANA PEN), and openbmc.org is owned by TLF, I'd say that we must
go with openbmc.org everywhere.
However, I'd like to know the official intention.

Alexander.

* Re: Domains (was: Migration to new gerrit server is coming)
@ 2018-04-19 15:16       ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-04-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Amelkin; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Alexander Amelkin <a.amelkin@yadro.com> wrote:

> 03.04.2018 18:30, Andrew Geissler wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
>>> Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?
>> In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
>> keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
>> Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
>> gerrit.openbmc.org.
> I'm kind of lost with all these domains...
> I remember we have an ongoing effort to move all d-bus stuff from
> org.openbmc to xyz.openbmc-project.
> Now you're saying we'll be moving gerrit to openbmc.org...
> What is the official domain for openbmc now?

For this initial move, I will keep it the same,
gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz.  A little history on this.  Initially when
openbmc was formed, it used the openbmc.org for it's REST api's.
After a while it was discovered openbmc didn't actually own that
domain.  The initial code as mostly proof of concept anyway so the
team decided to get an official domain (openbmc-project.xyz) and use
that to reflect the refactoring work (i.e. you would know if something
was "product" code if it had that new openbmc-project.xyz API).  Fast
forward a year or two and suddenly the openbmc project now owns
openbmc.org (through the LF).  Most people share your thought below
that it would be nice to use that.

> Are we going to move the d-bus stuff back to org.openbmc now?

I don't think anyone is going to have a desire to do this given how
much work it was to do the initial move, and that we would break
countless clients who have coded tools against these (since our DBUS
api's map directly to our REST api's).  Long term the REST api's will
become deprecated and debug only as we move to Redfish, so there's an
opportunity for us as a community to maybe do something there?

> Personally, I would welcome that as I hate the .xyz TLD as it is
> meaningless and beside that has some not very nice connotation for any
> Russian speaker. I also think that short 'openbmc' is way more neat than
> 'openbmc-project'.
> Also, as openbmc-project.xyz is owned by Patrick Williams (as well as
> OpenBMC IANA PEN), and openbmc.org is owned by TLF, I'd say that we must
> go with openbmc.org everywhere.
> However, I'd like to know the official intention.

Patrick will be transferring openbmc-project.xyz to the LF once we
finish this gerrit migration but I think most people do agree that
openbmc.org is better.

@ 2018-04-19 15:18       ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-04-19 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Amelkin, Andrew Geissler; +Cc: openbmc

> On Apr 19, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Alexander Amelkin <a.amelkin@yadro.com> wrote:
>

> 03.04.2018 18:30, Andrew Geissler wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
>>> Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?
>> In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
>> keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
>> Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
>> gerrit.openbmc.org.
> I'm kind of lost with all these domains…

Understandable :-)

> I remember we have an ongoing effort to move all d-bus stuff from
> org.openbmc to xyz.openbmc-project.

In the early days of this project, org.openbmc was used for DBus naming.  At a
later date, we stumbled onto this in the DBus specification:

    Interface names should start with the reversed DNS domain name of the
    author of the interface (in lower-case), like interface names in Java.

but openbmc.org was not available.  So the effort to move all dbus names
from org-openbmc to xyz-openbmc_project was born.

Fast forward to today, and openbmc.org has been donated to the project
by the prior owner (thanks Facebook!)

> Now you're saying we'll be moving gerrit to openbmc.org…

I’m not sure _moving_ is the correct word.  I’d guess that gerrit.openbmc_project.xyz
will be a CNAME for openbmc.org for some amount of time.  Right Andrew?

> What is the official domain for openbmc now?

What do we want it to be?  I’d vote for openbmc.org.  Unless someone
argues otherwise I think you can safely assume that openbmc.org is the
“official” domain for this project.

> Are we going to move the d-bus stuff back to org.openbmc now?

If this is what people want I don’t see a problem with that.  But the
project will (eventually) own both domains, so the urgency goes down a
bit I feel.

> Personally, I would welcome that as I hate the .xyz TLD as it is
> meaningless and beside that has some not very nice connotation for any
> Russian speaker. I also think that short 'openbmc' is way more neat than
> 'openbmc-project'.
> Also, as openbmc-project.xyz is owned by Patrick Williams (as well as
> OpenBMC IANA PEN), and openbmc.org is owned by TLF, I'd say that we must
> go with openbmc.org everywhere.

We are in the process of transferring the xyz domain and the IANA PEN
from Patrick to TLF.  There isn’t any resistance on Patrick’s end, if
that makes anyone feel better.  It is just a matter of getting it done.

> However, I'd like to know the official intention.

Have I answered this?

@ 2018-04-20  0:33   ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-04-20  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

All righty, migration complete.  I did a variety of tests and things
look ok to me.  Let me know if you run into anything.

You'll probably get a "WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED!"
message but that's because we moved the IP :)  So just run the
provided command to delete the key and get a new one.

Andrew

[...]

* Re: Fwd: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-20  2:34     ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-04-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, at 10:03, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> All righty, migration complete.  I did a variety of tests and things
> look ok to me.  Let me know if you run into anything.

Looks okay to me too. Thanks for putting in the effort!

> You'll probably get a "WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED!"
> message but that's because we moved the IP :)  So just run the
> provided command to delete the key and get a new one.

For what it's worth, the fingerprint of the new server as far as I see it is:

SHA256:Sg7nAwut4zNkdSKfLJsNLEnaIZQtIaju24f9B+w8TaQ.

Hopefully everyone else sees that too...

Cheers,

@ 2018-04-20  7:28     ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2018-04-20  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, OpenBMC Maillist

Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> writes:
> All righty, migration complete.  I did a variety of tests and things
> look ok to me.  Let me know if you run into anything.
>
> You'll probably get a "WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED!"
> message but that's because we moved the IP :)  So just run the
> provided command to delete the key and get a new one.

It looks as though mail is now being rewritten by some SMTP server in
the way, I'm getting things like this:

> Jenkins has posted comments on this change. (
> https://u7284519.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=N3bMtLYoQvnDsGxa5TuMrF8I5vlKaubPrsMlut73dkiMe82YTw9KXaZCckvzT-2FCe_kmqSwegD0GEk3FSxKpQbnEqNaV14xOGAsyeeoKUjpYz4XOpLVYolUFBsX3kdZzInsioR4TGTr6qhQI81lP2rA9eMn4gNcLclCczCmXX1k7PhcrEZX1R2kTzcr-2BLFR7cn-2BUe8LnTznhxeWjnKpdgXnzH6L4NdvgjjmZrAl0Kr3osAIZJEiVHJf2cFlABQGZC4JS8wisPDTEIlQxGh5UYhjjIYg7VNIPRYT6hMnCNmJIY-3D
> )

It could quite legitimately be IBM being stupid with email (again), but
could this be because of the migration?

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Fwd: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-20  7:31       ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2018-04-20  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart Smith, Andrew Geissler, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Stewart,

> It could quite legitimately be IBM being stupid with email (again), but
> could this be because of the migration?

I'm getting these to my non-IBM email account, with the sendgrid link
rewrite. So it's not just IBM SMTP here.

Cheers,

Jeremy

* Re: Fwd: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-20  7:54         ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2018-04-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: Stewart Smith, Andrew Geissler, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Jeremy Kerr <jk@ozlabs.org> wrote:
> Hi Stewart,
>
>> It could quite legitimately be IBM being stupid with email (again), but
>> could this be because of the migration?
>
> I'm getting these to my non-IBM email account, with the sendgrid link
> rewrite. So it's not just IBM SMTP here.

Me too, the gerrit's mail contains a lot of links staring with
u7284519.ct.sendgrid.net, probably gerrit is configured to use SendGrid[1]'s
service?

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SendGrid

* Re: Domains
@ 2018-04-20 11:54         ` Alexander Amelkin
From: Alexander Amelkin @ 2018-04-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Andrew Geissler; +Cc: openbmc

19.04.2018 18:18, Brad Bishop wrote:
> We are in the process of transferring the xyz domain and the IANA PEN
> from Patrick to TLF.  There isn’t any resistance on Patrick’s end, if
> that makes anyone feel better.  It is just a matter of getting it done.
I never suspected Patrick of any resistance. :)
I think I have already explained earlier my concern regarding personal
ownership of project pieces.
That concern was the only reason I spoke about it again.
>> However, I'd like to know the official intention.
> Have I answered this?
Yes, thank you and Andrew for explaining it all.

Alexander.

* Re: Fwd: Migration to new gerrit server is coming
@ 2018-04-20 12:50           ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-04-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: Jeremy Kerr, Stewart Smith, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 2:54 AM, Lei YU <mine260309@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Jeremy Kerr <jk@ozlabs.org> wrote:
>> Hi Stewart,
>>
>>> It could quite legitimately be IBM being stupid with email (again), but
>>> could this be because of the migration?
>>
>> I'm getting these to my non-IBM email account, with the sendgrid link
>> rewrite. So it's not just IBM SMTP here.
>
> Me too, the gerrit's mail contains a lot of links staring with
> u7284519.ct.sendgrid.net, probably gerrit is configured to use SendGrid[1]'s
> service?
>
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SendGrid

Yeah, our new VM is on a Softlayer system and they partner with
SendGrid for email services (we were using Patrick's private email
server before for sending emails).  I found some options in the
SendGrid UI to disable all tracking.  I'm hoping that helps.

Andrew