* Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-25  8:43 James
From: James @ 2011-07-25  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Dear all,

Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?

A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
although it support all 3 types of control interface.
(http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)

Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
the I2C or SPI interface instead

I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
board.

I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in adv.

James

* Re: Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-26 19:40 ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2011-07-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James; +Cc: linux-media, laurent.pinchart, michael.jones

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0800, James wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
> that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
> instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?
>
> A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
> although it support all 3 types of control interface.
> (http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)
>
> Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
> the I2C or SPI interface instead
>
> I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
> type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
> board.
>
> I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
> the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.

Hi James,

I think there has been a recent discussion on a similar topic under the
subject "RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP". The way to do this would be to implement
platform subdevs in V4L2 core, which I think we don't have quite yet.

Cc Laurent and Michael.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@iki.fi

* Re: Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-27  5:41   ` James
From: James @ 2011-07-27  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sakari Ailus; +Cc: linux-media, laurent.pinchart, michael.jones, alexg

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0800, James wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
>> that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
>> instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?
>>
>> A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
>> although it support all 3 types of control interface.
>> (http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)
>>
>> Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
>> the I2C or SPI interface instead
>>
>> I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
>> type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
>> board.
>>
>> I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
>> the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated.
>
> Hi James,
>
> I think there has been a recent discussion on a similar topic under the
> subject "RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP". The way to do this would be to implement
> platform subdevs in V4L2 core, which I think we don't have quite yet.
>
> Cc Laurent and Michael.
>
> --
> Sakari Ailus
> sakari.ailus@iki.fi

Hi Sakari,

Thanks for pointing me to the discussion thread.

I found it from the archive at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/32700/focus=32721

I read through the threads and see that I'm indeed in similar
situation with Alex.

We both have sensor that output CMOS H/V image and only have
UART/RS232 for control of the sensor operations via sending/reading
packet of bytes. i.e. AGC, contrast, brightness etc..

Since the thread ended on 29-Jun, is there anymore update or information?

As I've a MT9V032 camera with Gusmtix Overo, I was hoping to rely on
the MT9V032 driver as a starting point and adapt it for the VL5510
sensor using only the UART interface.

@ 2011-07-27  8:59     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-07-27  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James; +Cc: Sakari Ailus, linux-media, michael.jones, alexg

Hi James,

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 07:41:59 James wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0800, James wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
> >> that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
> >> instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?
> >>
> >> A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
> >> although it support all 3 types of control interface.
> >> (http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)
> >>
> >> Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
> >> the I2C or SPI interface instead
> >>
> >> I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
> >> type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
> >> board.
> >>
> >> I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
> >> the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.
> >>
> >> Any help is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I think there has been a recent discussion on a similar topic under the
> > subject "RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP". The way to do this would be to implement
> > platform subdevs in V4L2 core, which I think we don't have quite yet.
> >
> > Cc Laurent and Michael.
>
> Hi Sakari,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the discussion thread.
>
> I found it from the archive at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/3270
> 0/focus=32721
>
> I read through the threads and see that I'm indeed in similar
> situation with Alex.
>
> We both have sensor that output CMOS H/V image and only have
> UART/RS232 for control of the sensor operations via sending/reading
> packet of bytes. i.e. AGC, contrast, brightness etc..
>
> Since the thread ended on 29-Jun, is there anymore update or information?
>
> As I've a MT9V032 camera with Gusmtix Overo, I was hoping to rely on
> the MT9V032 driver as a starting point and adapt it for the VL5510
> sensor using only the UART interface.

As a quick hack, to start with, you can still use an I2C subdev driver. Just
remove all I2C-related code from the driver, and register a fake I2C device in
board code. That will let you at least develop the driver and test the UART
interface.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-27 10:53       ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-07-27 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart', James
  Cc: Sakari Ailus, linux-media, michael.jones

Hi All,

I want to say that in the beginning I encountered the same problem, but with the support of Laurent and other guys, today on my system OMAP3 ISP successfully passes registration.
To my yet, I still cannot connect my video source because it's missing, but I successfully configure pipeline with use MC User space API.

Regards,

Alex Gershgorin

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 07:41:59 James wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0800, James wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
> >> that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
> >> instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?
> >>
> >> A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
> >> although it support all 3 types of control interface.
> >> (http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)
> >>
> >> Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
> >> the I2C or SPI interface instead
> >>
> >> I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
> >> type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
> >> board.
> >>
> >> I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
> >> the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.
> >>
> >> Any help is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I think there has been a recent discussion on a similar topic under the
> > subject "RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP". The way to do this would be to implement
> > platform subdevs in V4L2 core, which I think we don't have quite yet.
> >
> > Cc Laurent and Michael.
>
> Hi Sakari,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the discussion thread.
>
> I found it from the archive at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/3270
> 0/focus=32721
>
> I read through the threads and see that I'm indeed in similar
> situation with Alex.
>
> We both have sensor that output CMOS H/V image and only have
> UART/RS232 for control of the sensor operations via sending/reading
> packet of bytes. i.e. AGC, contrast, brightness etc..
>
> Since the thread ended on 29-Jun, is there anymore update or information?
>
> As I've a MT9V032 camera with Gusmtix Overo, I was hoping to rely on
> the MT9V032 driver as a starting point and adapt it for the VL5510
> sensor using only the UART interface.

As a quick hack, to start with, you can still use an I2C subdev driver. Just
remove all I2C-related code from the driver, and register a fake I2C device in
board code. That will let you at least develop the driver and test the UART
interface.

Laurent Pinchart

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6327 (20110726) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6328 (20110727) __________

http://www.eset.com

* Re: Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-27 20:28     ` Guennadi Liakhovetski
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski @ 2011-07-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James; +Cc: Sakari Ailus, linux-media, laurent.pinchart, michael.jones, alexg

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, James wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0800, James wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Does anyone came across a v4l2 Linux Device Driver for an Image Sensor
> >> that uses Parallel CMOS H/V and can only be control by UART interface
> >> instead of the common I2C or SPI interface?
> >>
> >> A similar sensor is the STMicroelectronics VL5510 Image Sensor
> >> although it support all 3 types of control interface.
> >> (http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/product/178477.jsp)
> >>
> >> Most or all the drivers found I found under drivers/media/video uses
> >> the I2C or SPI interface instead
> >>
> >> I'm new to writing driver and need a reference v4l2 driver for this
> >> type of image sensor to work with OMAP3530 ISP port on Gumstix's Overo
> >> board.
> >>
> >> I just need a very simple v4l2 driver that can extract the image from
> >> the sensor and control over it via the UART control interface.
> >>
> >> Any help is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I think there has been a recent discussion on a similar topic under the
> > subject "RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP". The way to do this would be to implement
> > platform subdevs in V4L2 core, which I think we don't have quite yet.
> >
> > Cc Laurent and Michael.
> >
> > --
> > Sakari Ailus
> > sakari.ailus@iki.fi
> >

> Hi Sakari,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the discussion thread.
>
> I found it from the archive at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/32700/focus=32721
>
> I read through the threads and see that I'm indeed in similar
> situation with Alex.
>
> We both have sensor that output CMOS H/V image and only have
> UART/RS232 for control of the sensor operations via sending/reading
> packet of bytes. i.e. AGC, contrast, brightness etc..
>
> Since the thread ended on 29-Jun, is there anymore update or information?

Probably obvious, but just to have it mentioned in this thread, such UART
driver should certainly be implemented as a line discipline.

Thanks
Guennadi

> As I've a MT9V032 camera with Gusmtix Overo, I was hoping to rely on
> the MT9V032 driver as a starting point and adapt it for the VL5510
> sensor using only the UART interface.
>
> Thanks in adv.
>
> --
> Regards,
> James

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/

* Re: Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-28  2:05       ` James
From: James @ 2011-07-28  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guennadi Liakhovetski
  Cc: Sakari Ailus, linux-media, laurent.pinchart, michael.jones, alexg

Hi Guennadi,

>> We both have sensor that output CMOS H/V image and only have
>> UART/RS232 for control of the sensor operations via sending/reading
>> packet of bytes. i.e. AGC, contrast, brightness etc..
>>
>> Since the thread ended on 29-Jun, is there anymore update or information?
>
> Probably obvious, but just to have it mentioned in this thread, such UART
> driver should certainly be implemented as a line discipline.
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi

Do you have any working example that I can adapt as per your suggestion?

Thanks in adv.

James

* Parallel CMOS Image Sensor with UART Control Interface
@ 2011-07-26  1:24 James