* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-09  9:55 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2018-03-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I think inter VM communication is outside of SPDK vhost area (pls correct me if I'm wrong here). We are providing storage virtio-scsi and virtio-blk devices (the green "Storage I/O" arrow). You can abuse  SPDK vhost to simulate inter-VM communication by sharing the same bdev but currently the SCSI subsystem don't support SCSI RESERVATION so this don't make sense right now. I think using (DPDK) virtio-net to do inter-VM communication is what you want.

Pawel

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 23:30
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
I'm not sure if I have good understand of what you want to achieve. Can you describe your usecase?
You can use nvmf target to expose resource for multiple vhost targets. Maybe you need SPDK virtio initiator http://www.spdk.io/doc/virtio.html ?

Pawel

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

From: Harris, James R @ 2018-03-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Frank,

SPDK cannot run in this mode yet but it’s highly desirable.  We have a couple of folks here at Intel that are digging into this further to scope the effort needed.

-Jim

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of Huang Frank <kinzent(a)hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM
To: spdk <spdk(a)lists.01.org>

Hi, Jim

Thanks.
That's same as what I wanted. The demo is for dpdk, does the vhost of spdk can run in this way too?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com

From: Harris, James R<mailto:james.r.harris(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-10 01:24
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
Hi Frank,

Do you mean something like is described here?

https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/VirtioVhostUser

-Jim

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of "Wodkowski, PawelX" <pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018 at 2:55 AM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 23:30
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 22270 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-12  2:05 Huang Frank

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of "Wodkowski, PawelX" <pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018 at 2:55 AM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 23:30
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 22095 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-09 17:24 Harris, James R

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of "Wodkowski, PawelX" <pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018 at 2:55 AM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 23:30
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 17810 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-09  1:44 Huang Frank

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 23:30
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 15156 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-08 15:30 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2018-03-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 11006 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-08 13:58 Huang Frank

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-03-08 18:06
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 6813 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-08 10:06 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2018-03-08 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

If you are talking about SPDK vhost target inter VM communication currently no. You can run SPDK vhost target in nested VM scenario: in VM you start vhost target and then inside the same VM you start nested VM. This scenario is test and working.

Paweł

I found the vhost target is a great solution. But it needs to run on the host. Can I run the vhost-target in another vm or container? If not, what's the gap?

kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 4789 bytes --]

* [SPDK] vhost target run in another vm
@ 2018-03-08  8:20 Huang Frank
From: Huang Frank @ 2018-03-08  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk