* [Bluez-devel] Re: blueZ-bthid testing
       [not found] <LAW11-OE33GHeqXipAS00015cf1@hotmail.com>
@ 2004-01-05 14:54 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm implementing the firmware for a bluetooth HID mouse using an
> Ericsson module and using the bluez stack to test my implementation.
> For a start I was trying to make the MS Intelliexplorer mouse work
> with Marcels bthid program, but somehow havent been able to see the
> cursor move, heres what all I did
>
> - downloaded a crisp new linux2.4.22 kernel from kernel.org
>
> - patched the kenel with patch-2.4.22-mh2.gz
>
> - recompiled the kenel with Input Core support (uinput.o) + BlueZ
> modules + usb support (usb_ohci) modules etc.
>
> - reboot with linux2.4.22-mh2 kernel
>
> - downloaded the latest rpms and did a rpm update to bluez.
>
> - downloaded and compiled the libs2 and utils2 as per Marcel's
> instructions (using --prefix /opt/bluetooth etc.) from cvs
>
> - added the following to the XFree86config-4 file
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier "MSmouse"
>         driver "mouse"
>         option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         option "Buttons" "5"
>         option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
> EndSection
>
> and added
> InputDevice  "MSmouse" "SendCoreEvents" to the ServerLayout section
>
> - the following modules are present (lsmod)
>
> l2cap.o
> bluez.o
> input.o
> uinput.o
> usb_uhci.o
> hci_usb.o
> usb_core.o
>
> - run hcid daemon
>
> - run bthid daemon
>
> -run /opt/bluetooth/sbin/bthid -c 00:50:F2:E5:89:15 (here the
> /var/log/messages shows the following )
>
> bthid[2040]: cant open input device: no such file or directory (2)
> bthid[2040]: connected: Microsoft Five Button Mouse
>
> when I do a hcitool scan, the local device detects the MS
> IntelliExplorer mouse. but nothing happens further.
>
> am I missing something relevant ?

what about creating the /dev/input/uinput device node?

Regards

Marcel

* Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-06 13:03   ` Deepesh S Gujarathi
From: Deepesh S Gujarathi @ 2004-01-06 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcel,

I tried to create the device node using the following commands but I still
get the same error ( > bthid[2040]: can't open input device: no such file or
directory (2)) .
I created a device node using the command
# mknod /dev/misc/uinput c 10 101
I hope I an not feeding the wrong MAJOR device number.
Do let me know the proper command to create the device nodes for creating
uinput or mice node.

thanks
Deepesh

@ 2004-01-06 13:16     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Deepesh,

> I tried to create the device node using the following commands but I still
> get the same error ( > bthid[2040]: can't open input device: no such file or
> directory (2)) .
> I created a device node using the command
> # mknod /dev/misc/uinput c 10 101
> I hope I an not feeding the wrong MAJOR device number.

yes you do. According to Documentation/devices.txt it is "c 10 223". And
of course the kernel module "uinput" must be loaded.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-07 12:56       ` Deepesh S Gujarathi
From: Deepesh S Gujarathi @ 2004-01-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcel,

I created the uinput node with the following command
# mknod /dev/input/uinput c 10 223
and the bthid error (bthid[2040]: can't open input device: no such file or
directory (2))  is gone, but for some reason I still cant move the cursor.

- I checked the hcidump and it shows all the data coming from the MS
wireless mouse as I move the mouse and click

- the tail -f /var/log/messages shows the following
    Bluetooth HID service started
    Connected: Microsoft Five Button Mouse
    Vendor HID usage 0xff00fe01 value 0x1
    adequate battery

- when I do an lsmod I see
    Module         Used by                Not     tainted
    uinput            1
    hci_usb          1
    l2cap              5
    bluez              4 [hci_usb l2cap]
    input              0 (autoclean)    [uinput]

I doubt the following, if anyone can verify it would be great

- my XF86Config-4 file consists

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "MSmouse"
         driver "mouse"
         option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         option "Buttons" "5"
         option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

now is the protocol IMPS/2 correct for a MS Intelliexplorer mouse (I copied
it from the Logitech example) ?

- also in the option "Device" the value specified as "/dev/input/mice" does
it need to be /dev/input/uinput or something else ?

- does the mousedev module need to be loaded to make it work ?

I am determined to get this MS mouse working....;)

thanks for your patience
Deepesh

Deepesh S Gujarathi
Encodex Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd.
69 Amchi Colony, Bavdhan Khurd
Pune - 411021
91-20-2953590 , 2953591

@ 2004-01-07 13:11         ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-07 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Deepesh,

> I created the uinput node with the following command
> # mknod /dev/input/uinput c 10 223
> and the bthid error (bthid[2040]: can't open input device: no such file or
> directory (2))  is gone, but for some reason I still cant move the cursor.
>
> - I checked the hcidump and it shows all the data coming from the MS
> wireless mouse as I move the mouse and click
>
> - the tail -f /var/log/messages shows the following
>     Bluetooth HID service started
>     Connected: Microsoft Five Button Mouse
>     Vendor HID usage 0xff00fe01 value 0x1
>     adequate battery
>
> - when I do an lsmod I see
>     Module         Used by                Not     tainted
>     uinput            1
>     hci_usb          1
>     l2cap              5
>     bluez              4 [hci_usb l2cap]
>     input              0 (autoclean)    [uinput]
>
> I doubt the following, if anyone can verify it would be great
>
> - my XF86Config-4 file consists
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier "MSmouse"
>          driver "mouse"
>          option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>          option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>          option "Buttons" "5"
>          option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
> EndSection
>
> now is the protocol IMPS/2 correct for a MS Intelliexplorer mouse (I copied
> it from the Logitech example) ?

yes it is, but maybe you need to have additional CorePointer options.
Look at some XFree config howto's.

> - also in the option "Device" the value specified as "/dev/input/mice" does
> it need to be /dev/input/uinput or something else ?

No. The mice device is correct.

> - does the mousedev module need to be loaded to make it work ?

Yes.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-08 11:09           ` Deepesh S Gujarathi
From: Deepesh S Gujarathi @ 2004-01-08 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Thanks to Marcel, finally the MS mouse is working effortlessly with the
bthid program and I am a happy man.

I had messed up two things,
- had not loaded the mousedev.o module and
- made a typo in the XF86Config-4 file.

my two cents
please find attached a howto document that details the steps involved in
making the MS IntelliExplorer mouse working with Marcel's bthid utility.

PS: maybe some one can just verify the howto document for any possible
errors.

thanks everyone for your patience.
Deepesh

Deepesh S Gujarathi
Encodex Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd.
69 Amchi Colony, Bavdhan Khurd
Pune - 411021
91-20-2953590 , 2953591

> > I created the uinput node with the following command
> > # mknod /dev/input/uinput c 10 223
> > and the bthid error (bthid[2040]: can't open input device: no such file
or
> > directory (2))  is gone, but for some reason I still cant move the
cursor.

> > - I checked the hcidump and it shows all the data coming from the MS
> > wireless mouse as I move the mouse and click
> >
> > - the tail -f /var/log/messages shows the following
> >     Bluetooth HID service started
> >     Connected: Microsoft Five Button Mouse
> >     Vendor HID usage 0xff00fe01 value 0x1
> >     adequate battery
> >
> > - when I do an lsmod I see
> >     Module         Used by                Not     tainted
> >     uinput            1
> >     hci_usb          1
> >     l2cap              5
> >     bluez              4 [hci_usb l2cap]
> >     input              0 (autoclean)    [uinput]
> >
> > I doubt the following, if anyone can verify it would be great
> >
> > - my XF86Config-4 file consists
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >          Identifier "MSmouse"
> >          driver "mouse"
> >          option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> >          option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> >          option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> >          option "Buttons" "5"
> >          option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
> > EndSection
> >
> > now is the protocol IMPS/2 correct for a MS Intelliexplorer mouse (I
copied
> > it from the Logitech example) ?
>
> yes it is, but maybe you need to have additional CorePointer options.
> Look at some XFree config howto's.
>
> > - also in the option "Device" the value specified as "/dev/input/mice"
does
> > it need to be /dev/input/uinput or something else ?
>
> No. The mice device is correct.
>
> > - does the mousedev module need to be loaded to make it work ?
>
> Yes.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

[-- Attachment #2: bthid-msmouse_howto.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 5399 bytes --]

	Bthid MS Wireless IntelliExplorer mouse Howto

CREDITS:
Thanks to Marcel Holtmann,Charles Beuche and Peter Klausler

Here is a list of steps required to make the MS IntelliExplorer wireless mouse
work with the Linux kernel using the BLueZ stack and bthid program.

1. Download the latest kernel
	# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.22.tar.gz

2. Copy the file in the /usr/src folder
	# cp linux-2.4.22.tar /usr/src/

3. change the directory
	# cd /usr/src/

4. Unzip the file
	# tar xzf /root/linux-2.4.22.tar.gz

5. download the latest patches for linux-2.4.22 from http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
	patch-2.4.22-mh2.gz

6. rename the kernel source directory to include the patch name (mh2 in this case)
	# mv linux-2.4.22 linux-2.4.22-mh2

7. cd linux-2.4.22-mh2 and Apply the patch
	# zcat patch-2.4.22-mh2.gz | patch -p1
	make sure there were no errors while patching

8. Now to configure the kernel
	copy the old config file from previous kernel to current folder or start out afresh if you feel confident
	# cp ../linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/.config .

9. make xconfig

10. Select the 'm' option for the "User level driver support" from the "Input Core support"
	Enable the BLuetooth support as loadable module

11. Save and Exit

12. # make dep

13. # make clean

14. # make bzImage (take a nap)

15. # make modules (take another nap, long one)

16. # make modules_install
	after this step ensure you have the following modules
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluez.o
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/net/bluetooth/l2cap.o
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/hci_usb.o
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/input.o
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/uinput.o
	/lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/mousedev.o

17. copy the bzImage to the /boot directory
	# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage_bluez_02Jan2004

18. backup the current System.map file
	# mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.old

19. copy current System.map file to /boot and rename it
	# cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.22-mh2
	# cd /boot
	# rm System.map
	# ln -s System.map-2.4.22-mh2 System.map

20. create a softlink to new kernel
	# rm /usr/src/linux
	# ln -s linux-2.4.22-mh2/ linux

21 Make changes to /etc/lilo.conf and add the following section, dont copy the lines below blindly
they might not work for you.

	image=/boot/bzImage_2ndJan2004
	label="BlueZ-Jan7"
	root=/dev/hda3
	vga=788
	read-only

22. run # lilo
	to verify lilo has been updated

23. # reboot

24. install the latest BlueZ packages by updating the rpms
	# cd /home/bluetooth/rpms
	# rpm -Uhv bl*.rpm

25. download and compile the latest version of libs2 and utils2 from CVS
	# cd libs2
	# ./bootstrap
	# ./configure --prefix=/opt/bluetooth
	# make && make install

 	# cd utils2
	# ./bootstrap
 	# ./configure --prefix=/opt/bluetooth --with-bluetooth=/opt/bluetooth
	# make && make install

26. update the linker
	# echo /opt/bluetooth/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
	# ldconfig

27. load the following modules
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluez.o
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/net/bluetooth/l2cap.o
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/hci_usb.o
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/input.o
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/uinput.o
	# insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-mh2/kernel/drivers/input/mousedev.o

28. bthid sends its events to the uinput device (/dev/misc/uinput or /dev/input/uinput), which might not exist on your system. Here is a small list of things you should check if you miss it :

is your kernel compiled with the uinput module ? Check with
	# grep UINPUT /usr/src/linux/.config
do you have the module loaded ? Check with
	# lsmod | grep uinput
do you have the device ? Check with
	# ls /dev/misc/uinput /dev/input/uinput
if you miss the device file, create it with
	# mknod /dev/misc/uinput c 10 223, or setup your /etc/devfsd.conf if you are a devfs user

29. make the following changes to the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but first back it up

add
Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "MSMouse"
     Driver "mouse"
     Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
     Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
     Option "Buttons" "5"
     Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

and add

    InputDevice "MSMouse" "SendCoreEvents" to the Server Layout section

30. Restart the xserver (Ctrl + Alt + BkSpace works on most systems)

31. login as root

32. attach the bluetooth dongle to the host machine and fire it up
	# hciconfig hci0 up

33. run the hcid and bthid daemon
	# hcid
	# /opt/bluetooth/sbin/bthid -d

34. find the bluetooth address of the Microsoft mouse using
	# hcitool scan

35. finally connect to the mouse using
	# /opt/bluetooth/sbin/bthid -c <btaddress of ms mouse>

also refer to the following
	http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/debian.html
	http://www.bueche.ch/comp/mx900/mx900.html
the README provided by Peter Klausler in his bthid program
	http://klausler.com/msbtkb-linux.html
and also			http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3615960&forum_id%20%20=1881%3E%20&forum_id=1881

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-08 12:07             ` Charles Bueche
From: Charles Bueche @ 2004-01-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

looks OK to me. If you want, when you have a stable version, I can host
it beside mine on my web server.

Charles

--
Charles Bueche <charles@bueche.ch>
sand, snow, wave, wind and net -surfer

* [Bluez-devel] Re:Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-10  9:09               ` Deepesh S Gujarathi
From: Deepesh S Gujarathi @ 2004-01-10  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Charles,

I don't mind you hosting the bthid-howto document on your website, afterall
I prepared it learning from what you people had written. So you may go ahead
and host it right away.

thanks
Deepesh S Gujarathi

> looks OK to me. If you want, when you have a stable version, I can host
> it beside mine on my web server.
>
> Charles
>
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 12:09, Deepesh S Gujarathi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks to Marcel, finally the MS mouse is working effortlessly with the
> > bthid program and I am a happy man.
> >
> > I had messed up two things,
> > - had not loaded the mousedev.o module and
> > - made a typo in the XF86Config-4 file.
> >
> > my two cents
> > please find attached a howto document that details the steps involved in
> > making the MS IntelliExplorer mouse working with Marcel's bthid utility.
> >
> > PS: maybe some one can just verify the howto document for any possible
> > errors.
> >
> > thanks everyone for your patience.
> > Deepesh S Gujarathi

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Re:Re: blueZ-bthid testing
@ 2004-01-10 13:32                 ` Charles Bueche
From: Charles Bueche @ 2004-01-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

done, the document is linked. It's good, as I have had a few questions
about MS mice.

Regs,
Charles