* [cip-dev] powerpc build with Kernel v4.4
@ 2019-07-27 21:29 Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2019-07-27 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello all,

I'm trying to build the toshiba_defconfig [1] for the powerpc architecture using the CIP v4.4 Kernel but I'm hitting some problems. The log from the build can be seen on GitLab [2].

Has anyone tried building this configuration recently?

I'm using gcc compiler v8.1.0. I mention this because I've see a half-related discussion [3] when Googling. From this mail thread I wonder if there are some patches we need to backport?

[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config/blob/master/4.4/powerpc/toshiba_defconfig
[2] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/jobs/260410825
[3] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/27/106

Kind regards, Chris

* [cip-dev] powerpc build with Kernel v4.4
@ 2019-07-28  4:22 ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2019-07-28  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Quick ad-hoc observation:

[1] From https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/jobs/260410825
> /opt/build_kernel.sh: line 123: [: /opt/cip-kernel-config/4.4/powerpc/toshiba_defconfig: unary operator expected

Interesting line...WTH is wrong with the line 123 (CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG=y)?

[2] From https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/27/106
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:29:40AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> In function ?user_regset_copyin?,
>     inlined from ?vr_set? at arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c:490:9:
> include/linux/regset.h:258:4: error:
> ?memcpy? offset [-527, -529] is out of the bounds [0, 16] of object ?vrsave?
> with type ?union <anonymous>?
>
> The problem is not new. It is seen now because I switched to use
> gcc 8.3.0. The problem is fixed in linux-next.

You should contact Guenter Roeck and ask him about the following:
> The problem is not new. It is seen now because I switched to use
> gcc 8.3.0. The problem is fixed in linux-next.

Stress on: "The problem is fixed in linux-next".

My two cent worth thinking,
Zoran
_______

@ 2019-07-28  7:40 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-07-28  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

> I'm trying to build the toshiba_defconfig [1] for the powerpc architecture using the CIP v4.4 Kernel but I'm hitting some problems. The log from the build can be seen on GitLab [2].
>
> Has anyone tried building this configuration recently?
>
> I'm using gcc compiler v8.1.0. I mention this because I've see a half-related discussion [3] when Googling. From this mail thread I wonder if there are some patches we need to backport?

Is there chance to use different gcc? Because this looks like gcc
bug... but workaround seems simple enough. Let me investigate some
more.

								Pavel

commit 9d2e929c3bae4c30afd1b00fdbe6f7d477e13e8c
Author: Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au>
Date:   Thu Feb 14 11:08:29 2019 +1100

    powerpc/ptrace: Simplify vr_get/set() to avoid GCC warning

    commit ca6d5149d2ad0a8d2f9c28cbe379802260a0a5e0 upstream.

    GCC 8 warns about the logic in vr_get/set(), which with -Werror
    breaks
        the build:

      In function ?user_regset_copyin?,
                inlined from ?vr_set? at
                arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c:628:9:
		      include/linux/regset.h:295:4: error: ?memcpy?
                offset [-527, -529] is
		      out of the bounds [0, 16] of object ?vrsave?
                with type ?union
		      <anonymous>? [-Werror=array-bounds]
		            arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c: In function
                ?vr_set?:
		      arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c:623:5: note:
                ?vrsave? declared here
		         } vrsave;

    This has been identified as a regression in GCC, see GCC bug
    88273.

    However we can avoid the warning and also simplify the logic and
    make
        it more robust.

* [cip-dev] powerpc build with Kernel v4.4
@ 2019-07-28  8:49   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-07-28  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

> > I'm trying to build the toshiba_defconfig [1] for the powerpc architecture using the CIP v4.4 Kernel but I'm hitting some problems. The log from the build can be seen on GitLab [2].
> >
> > Has anyone tried building this configuration recently?
> >
> > I'm using gcc compiler v8.1.0. I mention this because I've see a half-related discussion [3] when Googling. From this mail thread I wonder if there are some patches we need to backport?
> >

> Is there chance to use different gcc? Because this looks like gcc
> bug... but workaround seems simple enough. Let me investigate some
> more.

Workaround seems simple, but won't easily apply on top of 4.4 kernel

Can you simply set

CONFIG_PPC_DISABLE_WERROR=y

to make the problem go away?

Best regards,

								Pavel
* [cip-dev] powerpc build with Kernel v4.4
@ 2019-07-30 12:54   ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2019-07-30 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > /opt/build_kernel.sh: line 123: [: /opt/cip-kernel-
> config/4.4/powerpc/toshiba_defconfig: unary operator expected
>
> Interesting line...WTH is wrong with the line 123 (CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG=y)?

Well spotted. This issue isn't with the actual config, rather than with my script. It's not handling very well the fact that there are two configs called "toshiba_defconfig" for v4.4 in the cip-kernel-config repository. (One for x86 and one for powerpc).

I'll update my script.

> [2] From https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/27/106
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:29:40AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > In function ?user_regset_copyin?,
> >     inlined from ?vr_set? at arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c:490:9:
> > include/linux/regset.h:258:4: error:
> > ?memcpy? offset [-527, -529] is out of the bounds [0, 16] of object ?vrsave?
> > with type ?union <anonymous>?
> >
> > The problem is not new. It is seen now because I switched to use
> > gcc 8.3.0. The problem is fixed in linux-next.
>
> You should contact Guenter Roeck and ask him about the following:
> > The problem is not new. It is seen now because I switched to use
> > gcc 8.3.0. The problem is fixed in linux-next.
>
> Stress on: "The problem is fixed in linux-next".

Yep.

Chris

@ 2019-07-30 13:01     ` Chris Paterson
> *** gpg4o | The signature of this email could not be verified because the
> following public key is missing. Click here to search and import the key
> 30E7F06A95DBFAF2 ***
>
> Hi!
>
> > > I'm trying to build the toshiba_defconfig [1] for the powerpc architecture
> using the CIP v4.4 Kernel but I'm hitting some problems. The log from the
> build can be seen on GitLab [2].
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried building this configuration recently?
> > >
> > > I'm using gcc compiler v8.1.0. I mention this because I've see a half-
> related discussion [3] when Googling. From this mail thread I wonder if there
> are some patches we need to backport?
> > >

> > Is there chance to use different gcc? Because this looks like gcc
> > bug... but workaround seems simple enough. Let me investigate some
> > more.
>
> Workaround seems simple, but won't easily apply on top of 4.4 kernel
That?s a shame.

> Can you simply set
>
> CONFIG_PPC_DISABLE_WERROR=y
>
> to make the problem go away?

I could, but even if it works it?s Toshiba?s config and perhaps they had a reason to enable this option.

Daniel, Kobayashi-san, any comments?

Kind regards, Chris

> Best regards,
>
>                                                               Pavel
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] powerpc build with Kernel v4.4
@ 2019-07-30 14:30       ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2019-07-30 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

> > Interesting line...WTH is wrong with the line 123
> > (CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG=y)?
>
> Well spotted. This issue isn't with the actual config, rather
> than with my script. It's not handling very well the fact that...

After I sent the email I have spotted the same: that actually it is
line 123 in your script: /opt/build_kernel.sh: line 123

> there are two configs > called "toshiba_defconfig" for v4.4
> in the cip-kernel-config repository. (One for x86 and one
> for powerpc).

There should exist two different paths for the same names:
[1] For x86: ~/git-repos/linux-cip/arch/x86
[2] For powerpc: ~/git-repos/linux-cip/arch/powerpc

The both names are safely there (to 1 and 2 respectively), but the
script should pick up the correct one toshiba_defconfig, my best guess
is!

> I'll update my script.

If not a secret, could you, please, also make available to us your
entire script: /opt/build_kernel.sh @
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/ w h a t e v e r ?

Thank you,
Zoran
_______

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 3:08 PM Chris Paterson

@ 2019-07-30 14:41         ` Chris Paterson
> > > Interesting line...WTH is wrong with the line 123
> > > (CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG=y)?
> >
> > Well spotted. This issue isn't with the actual config, rather
> > than with my script. It's not handling very well the fact that...
>
> After I sent the email I have spotted the same: that actually it is
> line 123 in your script: /opt/build_kernel.sh: line 123
>
> > there are two configs > called "toshiba_defconfig" for v4.4
> > in the cip-kernel-config repository. (One for x86 and one
> > for powerpc).
>
> There should exist two different paths for the same names:
> [1] For x86: ~/git-repos/linux-cip/arch/x86
> [2] For powerpc: ~/git-repos/linux-cip/arch/powerpc
>
> The both names are safely there (to 1 and 2 respectively), but the
> script should pick up the correct one toshiba_defconfig, my best guess
> is!

Yep. But only because powerpc is before x86 in alphabetical order.

I've logged [1] and fixed this now [2].

See [3] for a fully built powerpc config (with CONFIG_PPC_DISABLE_WERROR=y set).

[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/linux-cip-ci/issues/1
[2] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/linux-cip-ci/commit/edea7a9f5f575a0418312a66407f7d584d4946f6
[3] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/jobs/262311713

> > I'll update my script.
>
> If not a secret, could you, please, also make available to us your
> entire script: /opt/build_kernel.sh @
> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/ w h a t e v e r ?

The containers and scripts used for CIP CI are currently stored in the cip-playground project [4]. Hopefully they will move to the official cip-project repository soon.

[4] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/linux-cip-ci/

Kind regards, Chris

@ 2019-07-31  6:23           ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2019-07-31  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Chris,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Indeed, you took care/thought about everything. I've learned quite a
bit, I must admit!

Your script build_kernel.sh is portable and adaptable to many kernel
cases (also not CIP related, overall).

README.md shows one .yml wrapper example, but I guess, all these could
be adapted also by bash shell scripting.

Again, very nice job done! :-)

Thank you,
Zoran
_______

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 4:41 PM Chris Paterson