* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-18 18:46 M A Young
From: M A Young @ 2004-01-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Ingo Molnar

>* Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com> wrote:
>
>> >  * Any known issues with 2.6.1 kernels?
>>
>> Fewer, now that I got the 2.6.1 patch out.  UML lacks
>> [gs]et_thread_area still, so 2.6 UMLs won't boot new libcs.
>
>hm, are you sure this is the reason why they dont boot? At least the
>ones in Fedora fall back to LinuxThreads if set_thread_area is -ENOSYS.
>Old 2.4 kernels work just fine - UML ought to work fine too.

Originally, the problem was with these calls as UML used to panic rather
than return -ENOSYS. Now however I believe there is no direct connection
between the [gs]et_thread_area calls and the hang that occurs early on in
tt mode for RedHat 9 glibcs if the /lib/tls libraries exist. For FC1
glibcs the hang happens anyway. See an earlier post of mine for more
details of the hang.

	Michael Young

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20 21:30       ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-01-20 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlaisorBlade; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

> > G-02-LinkScriptCleanup.patch removes various ksymtab stuff from
> > common.lds.S (which is in the RODATA #define these days), that one
> > looks like it could be needed too to make modules work ...
>
> Those repeated sections are harmless, only ugly;

No: removing those sections made modules work for me. (behaviour may
depend on the binutils version through ...).

  Gerd

--
"... und auch das ganze Wochenende oll" -- Wetterbericht auf RadioEins

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20 19:59                 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-01-20 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

* Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com> wrote:

> mingo@elte.hu said:
> > unfortunately, this is only the case if the kernel is below 2.5.69 and
> > has 'nptl' in the uname. Otherwise ld.so assumes full NPTL support.
>
> So, it uses uname to figure out if the kernel has NPTL support?

yes. It goes roughly like this: if the kernel is a 2.4 one and the uname
string [extraversion] includes 'nptl' [and the first 'n' letter has to
be nptl's 'n' ...] then ld.so will try the TLS glibc. On 2.6 kernels,
glibc assumes that all the NPTL functionality is available. [the precise
rules are in the ld.so patches that Fedora's glibc srpm has.]

basically the goal was to 1) be able to boot stock 2.4 kernels and have
NPTL disabled, 2) be able to boot stock 2.6 kernels and have NPTL
enabled, 3) boot 2.4 kernels with the NPTL backport and have NPTL
enabled. (there are also tons of other checks in glibc itself that
selects between various versions of syscalls, eg. modify_ldt has
variants too. LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is taken into account as well.) It's not
simple.

(There was a failed attempt to get API versioning into the kernel to
clean up such interactions - but nothing really good was written so we
stuck with the above mechanism.)

	Ingo

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20 19:42     ` BlaisorBlade
From: BlaisorBlade @ 2004-01-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Gerd Knorr

Alle 18:06, lunedì 19 gennaio 2004, Gerd Knorr ha scritto:
> BlaisorBlade <blaisorblade_spam@yahoo.it> writes:
> > Module support fix is trivial, and does not depend on anything
> > controversial, until you don't enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS. So apply the
> > patch. I've also infos (and some code) about fixing the panic you get on
> > startup with it enabled.
>
> Uhm, no.  Applied and builds for me, but doesn't work, insmod
> complains about *plenty* of unknown symbols.

It works for me, maybe either you didn't apply some patch or a make clean
ARCH=um is needed.

> G-02-LinkScriptCleanup.patch removes various ksymtab stuff from
> common.lds.S (which is in the RODATA #define these days), that one
> looks like it could be needed too to make modules work ...

Those repeated sections are harmless, only ugly; the big change is for
/proc/kallsyms. However, modules worked without that (it helps also for
modversions, but not completely: with that I get no panic but versions
mismatch, and I know why).

I've not been very careful in testing separate patches one-by-one. I've tested
the whole set minus the H-03 and H-04 one, but not together.

Bye
--
cat <<EOSIGN
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20 17:22               ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

mingo@elte.hu said:
> unfortunately, this is only the case if the kernel is below 2.5.69 and
> has 'nptl' in the uname. Otherwise ld.so assumes full NPTL support.

So, it uses uname to figure out if the kernel has NPTL support?

> so the only compatible solution seems to be to implement set/
> get_thread_area() within UML. Since UML itself is linked statically,
> which causes the non-TLS glibc to be linked, i think it should be safe
> to just shadow the TLS descriptors in the UML process and call
> set_thread_area() for every new thread that has TLS descriptors not
> equal to the previous thread's TLS descriptors.

In tt mode, this is true.  A skas-only UML will be dynamic, but then
userspace is in a separate process, and someone was thoughtful enough to
add PTRACE_[GS]ET_THREAD_INFO.  So, this will be fine in either case.

The problem is on 2.4.  I suspect that this can't be emulated on 2.4 hosts,
so a 2.6 UML can't boot a NPTL system on a 2.4 host.  This is annoying since
host version independence is a nice thing about UML.

> but wrt. LinuxThreads - it doesnt seem UML skas mode implements LDT
> state properly - does it?

As far as I know, it does.  LinuxThreads was introduced in RH8 or so, I think,
and RH8 filesystems have run in UML for a long time.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20  1:27                 ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-20  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M A Young; +Cc: Ingo Molnar, Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

mingo@elte.hu said:
> hm, beffe018 - shouldnt that be the stack?

No.  In tt mode, that's in the middle (close to the end, really) of the UML
kernel.  In this case, the process stack ends at 0xa0000000.

This is what befuddled me during my libc upgrade in tt mode.  I couldn't see
what was inducing userspace to access memory up there.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20  0:41                   ` M A Young
From: M A Young @ 2004-01-20  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: Jeff Dike, Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have found in tt mode with an FC1 image the system hangs after 3
> > syscalls (uname, brk, open), before any set/get_thread_area calls, so
> > I suspect there is another problem. The hang consists of repeated
> > segfault signals with fault address (beffe018) which returns -EFAULT.
> > Is there any setup for tls/nptl normally done by the kernel that might
> > be missing in UML, such as allocating some high up memory?
>
> hm, beffe018 - shouldnt that be the stack?

/proc/????/maps showed one region in this area, but it was higher up.
Interestingly if I try this with a RedHat 9 glibc with tls, the address
it hangs on is very low (0x000000c3 from memory).
	Michael Young

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-20  0:23                 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-01-20  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M A Young; +Cc: Jeff Dike, Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-20  0:19               ` M A Young
From: M A Young @ 2004-01-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: Jeff Dike, Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > > 2.4 UMLs work fine with these libcs.  I had been assuming (without any
> > > evidence) that there was some other capability check (like uname), and
> > > libc gets horribly confused when it sees a 2.6 kernel that doesn't
> > > have the thread_info stuff.
> >
> > ok, i talked to Ulrich, and it turns out that ld.so in Fedora uses the
> > set_tid_address() syscall to find out whether the kernel has NPTL or
> > not [and thus whether to use the TLS glibc or the standard one]. [...]
>
> unfortunately, this is only the case if the kernel is below 2.5.69 and
> has 'nptl' in the uname. Otherwise ld.so assumes full NPTL support.
>
> so the only compatible solution seems to be to implement
> set/get_thread_area() within UML. Since UML itself is linked statically,
> which causes the non-TLS glibc to be linked, i think it should be safe
> to just shadow the TLS descriptors in the UML process and call
> set_thread_area() for every new thread that has TLS descriptors not
> equal to the previous thread's TLS descriptors.

I have found in tt mode with an FC1 image the system hangs after 3
syscalls (uname, brk, open), before any set/get_thread_area calls, so I
suspect there is another problem. The hang consists of repeated segfault
signals with fault address (beffe018) which returns -EFAULT. Is there any
setup for tls/nptl normally done by the kernel that might be missing in
UML, such as allocating some high up memory?

	Michael Young

* [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-19 17:06   ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-01-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlaisorBlade, user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-19  8:28             ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-01-19  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-19  7:53           ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-01-19  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

* Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com> wrote:

> 2.4 UMLs work fine with these libcs.  I had been assuming (without any
> evidence) that there was some other capability check (like uname), and
> libc gets horribly confused when it sees a 2.6 kernel that doesn't
> have the thread_info stuff.

ok, i talked to Ulrich, and it turns out that ld.so in Fedora uses the
set_tid_address() syscall to find out whether the kernel has NPTL or not
[and thus whether to use the TLS glibc or the standard one]. In UML,
this particular syscall happens to work. So i'd suggest the patch below.
(i'll test it soon.) Once the TLS syscalls are available in UML this
syscall can be turned back on.

	Ingo

--- linux/arch/um/kernel/sys_call_table.c.orig
+++ linux/arch/um/kernel/sys_call_table.c
@@ -521,7 +521,7 @@ syscall_handler_t *sys_call_table[] = {
 	[ __NR_epoll_ctl ] = sys_epoll_ctl,
 	[ __NR_epoll_wait ] = sys_epoll_wait,
         [ __NR_old_remap_file_pages ] = old_remap_file_pages,
-        [ __NR_set_tid_address ] = sys_set_tid_address,
+        [ __NR_set_tid_address ] = sys_ni_syscall,
 	[ __NR_timer_create ] = sys_timer_create,
 	[ __NR_timer_settime ] = sys_timer_settime,
 	[ __NR_timer_gettime ] = sys_timer_gettime,

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-18 23:57         ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-18 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 05:21:12PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> hm, are you sure this is the reason why they dont boot? At least the
> ones in Fedora fall back to LinuxThreads if set_thread_area is -ENOSYS.
> Old 2.4 kernels work just fine - UML ought to work fine too.

No, I'm not.  But I am seeing -ENOSYS from one of [gs]et_thread_area right
before things go haywire.  But I haven't looked at it closely enough to
see if that's the real problem.

2.4 UMLs work fine with these libcs.  I had been assuming (without any
evidence) that there was some other capability check (like uname), and
libc gets horribly confused when it sees a 2.6 kernel that doesn't have
the thread_info stuff.

If the compatibility check is -ENOSYS from one of those syscalls, then
this theory goes right out the window, and something else is wrong in UML.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-18 16:21       ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-01-18 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

* Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com> wrote:

> >  * Any known issues with 2.6.1 kernels?
>
> Fewer, now that I got the 2.6.1 patch out.  UML lacks
> [gs]et_thread_area still, so 2.6 UMLs won't boot new libcs.

hm, are you sure this is the reason why they dont boot? At least the
ones in Fedora fall back to LinuxThreads if set_thread_area is -ENOSYS.
Old 2.4 kernels work just fine - UML ought to work fine too.

(libcs built without compatibility wont fall back. Are there such
distros?)

	Ingo

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-18  4:51             ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-18  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlaisorBlade; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:03:26PM +0100, BlaisorBlade wrote:
> I didn't start it. Also, I must check exactly the API to create (i.e. how to
> abstract os-specific details, which is hard since I've never programmed on
> Cygwin or Freebsd). And also, if you assume that a file handle is an integer
> (which is true only on POSIX), why do you wrap open inside os_open_file
> (which always works on POSIX)? The same question could go for other calls.

I don't, but I'm leaving it as an int for now since that works.  The interfaces
can be tweaked in the future, so a descriptor may become some sort of void *
cookie to handle OSes with non-integer file handles.

What I'm trying to do now is get some sort of reasonable approximation to
a decent OS abstraction layer.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-18  4:47             ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-18  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M A Young; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:12:45PM +0000, M A Young wrote:
> I have been trying to debug the problem with tt mode and very recent
> glibcs, and what seems to be happening is that early on in the glibc start
> up code for /sbin/init (after 3 syscalls), there is a segv signal;
> handle_page_fault returns -14, probably becuase the fault address
> (beffe018) is bogus, but the segfault seems to repeat endlessly. I am not
> sure if this is a glibc or a uml issue, or something else.

I saw something like that during a glibc upgrade going from stable to testing
in tt mode.  Running it in skas mode avoided the problem.  I never figured
out what was happening.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-17 21:12           ` M A Young
From: M A Young @ 2004-01-17 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-17 20:03           ` BlaisorBlade
From: BlaisorBlade @ 2004-01-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Jeff Dike

Alle 20:50, sabato 17 gennaio 2004, Jeff Dike ha scritto:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:09:38PM +0100, BlaisorBlade wrote:
> > Do the apply_alternatives + constants silly fix posted 1000 times and
> > compile without CONFIG_MODVERSIONS. Then you don't get the kernel panic,
> > and everything works.
> >
> > I've succesfully built kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, but *maybe* the
> > Makefile patch is needed for that (since files are post-processed with
> > genksyms). However, I have fixed some other things which could interact
> > with this, especially for the link scripts.
>
> Did you actually get modules to work?  I was under the impression you
> hadn't got that far yet, just getting UML to build with CONFIG_MODULES
> endabled.

First (answering the other message): thanks for starting merging them!

Modules work perfectly without Modversions (and even /proc/kallsyms works
well); with the USER_OBJS thing even modversions works perfectly, even if you
don't like it (but I hadn't been clear about the fact the kernel runs with
it).

If you are interested in it, I could do a trivial change (i.e. adding to each
makefile include arch/um/Makefile.special) to avoid changing the whole
Kbuild.

I do remember your discussion about the os- change, but it's a lot longer and

@ 2004-01-17 19:50         ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-17 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlaisorBlade; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-17 19:09       ` BlaisorBlade
From: BlaisorBlade @ 2004-01-17 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Jeff Dike

@ 2004-01-17 16:10           ` BlaisorBlade
From: BlaisorBlade @ 2004-01-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

Alle 12:42, venerdì 16 gennaio 2004, Gerd Knorr ha scritto:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:03:11AM +0000, M A Young wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jeff Dike wrote:
> > > They still don't work.  I still haven't got around to fixing it.
> >
> > But see the patches at
> > http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-tiscali/blaisorblade/
>
> At last picking just the module fixes patch doesn't work for me, it
> doesn't apply.  There are probably some nasty patch dependencies.

IIRC there's no dependency by that patch onto others; however that patch was
onto old -test9 Jeff Dike's release, and there are some easy thing to fix (I
hope to update everything today).

Bye
--

@ 2004-01-16 23:47       ` Sven Köhler
From: Sven Köhler @ 2004-01-16 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

> Fewer, now that I got the 2.6.1 patch out.  UML lacks [gs]et_thread_area
> still, so 2.6 UMLs won't boot new libcs.

What do you mean new libcs? Is there any particular version-number you
can confirm to work/not work?
What about NPTL?

Thx
   Sven

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-16 21:56           ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-01-16 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: M A Young, user-mode-linux-devel

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:27:20PM -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> m.a.young@durham.ac.uk said:
> > Actually, I am no longer convinced the lack of these syscalls cause
> > the problem directly; I think there is something else in recent glibcs
> > that cause the kernel to hang, at least in tt mode, though it is
> > probably related.
>
> Maybe, but it's a definite problem.  However, the segfaults people were seeing
> with 2.6.1 may be gone since that was a separate problem which is fixed in
> the 2.6.1 patch.

The segfaults are gone for me, 2.6.1 with the new uml patch boots just fine.

  Gerd

PS: I've just pushed fresh-built kernel rpms, they should find their way
    to ftp.suse.com + mirrors (/pub/people/kraxel) next hours.

--

@ 2004-01-16 17:27         ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M A Young; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-16 11:42         ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-01-16 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M A Young; +Cc: Jeff Dike, user-mode-linux-devel

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:03:11AM +0000, M A Young wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jeff Dike wrote:
>
> > They still don't work.  I still haven't got around to fixing it.
>
> But see the patches at
> http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-tiscali/blaisorblade/

At last picking just the module fixes patch doesn't work for me, it
doesn't apply.  There are probably some nasty patch dependencies.

> > >  * Any known issues with 2.6.1 kernels?
> >
> > Fewer, now that I got the 2.6.1 patch out.  UML lacks [gs]et_thread_area
> > still, so 2.6 UMLs won't boot new libcs.

Great, building now ...

  Gerd

--
You have a new virus in /var/mail/kraxel

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-16 10:03       ` M A Young
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: M A Young @ 2004-01-16 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jeff Dike wrote:

> kraxel@bytesex.org said:
> >  * what is the status of kernel modules in 2.6 kernels?
>
> They still don't work.  I still haven't got around to fixing it.

But see the patches at
http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-tiscali/blaisorblade/

> >  * Any known issues with 2.6.1 kernels?
>
> Fewer, now that I got the 2.6.1 patch out.  UML lacks [gs]et_thread_area
> still, so 2.6 UMLs won't boot new libcs.

Actually, I am no longer convinced the lack of these syscalls cause the
problem directly; I think there is something else in recent glibcs that
cause the kernel to hang, at least in tt mode, though it is probably
related.

	Michael Young

* Re: [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-16  2:33     ` Jeff Dike
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-16  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Knorr; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

@ 2004-01-13 18:55   ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-01-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

Sven Köhler <skoehler@upb.de> writes:

> > The 2.6.0 UML patch is available at
> > 	http://www.user-mode-linux.org/mirror/uml-patch-2.6.0-1.bz2
>
> gcc -Wl,-T,arch/um/uml.lds.s -static -Wl,--wrap,malloc -Wl,--wrap,free
> -Wl,--wra
> p,calloc \
> 	-o linux arch/um/main.o vmlinux -L/usr/lib -lutil
> vmlinux(.text+0x5288): In function `mem_init':
> : undefined reference to `phys_page'
> vmlinux(.init.text+0x21f3): In function `kmap_init':
> : undefined reference to `pte_offset'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Disable CONFIG_HIGHMEM, then it does build.

I have a few more questions:

 * what is the status of kernel modules in 2.6 kernels?  It doesn't
   build without patching the kernel: One issue is some elf relocation
   defines being missing (R_386_32, R_386_PC32), making
   apply_relocate() fail to build.  The other issue is
   apply_alternatives() not being defined, making the final link fail.
   Trying to fix that, booting and trying to load modules leads to
   kernel panic.

 * Any known issues with 2.6.1 kernels?  Tried to apply the 2.6.0
   patch to 2.6.1 and fixup the one reject in arch/um/kernel/irq.c
   manually and the fs/proc/task_mmu.c build failure with a patch
   fished from this list.  But the resulting kernel fails to boot up
   the system.  I see the init start banner, then it stops.  Looking
   whats up with gdb shows that the fork syscall seems to hang in a
   endless loop, pagefaulting at the same address over and over ...

  Gerd

--

@ 2004-01-13 10:19 ` Sven Köhler
From: Sven Köhler @ 2004-01-13 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: linux-kernel

> The 2.6.0 UML patch is available at
> 	http://www.user-mode-linux.org/mirror/uml-patch-2.6.0-1.bz2

i get this error:

gcc -Wl,-T,arch/um/uml.lds.s -static -Wl,--wrap,malloc -Wl,--wrap,free
-Wl,--wra
p,calloc \
	-o linux arch/um/main.o vmlinux -L/usr/lib -lutil
vmlinux(.text+0x5288): In function `mem_init':
: undefined reference to `phys_page'
vmlinux(.init.text+0x21f3): In function `kmap_init':
: undefined reference to `pte_offset'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

i applied this patch to clean 2.6.0 sources from kernel.org.
if you need more information just ask. i'm running gentoo 1.4 with a
2.6.1 host kernel. linux 2.4.19 headers are installed in /usr/include,
just in case it matters.

* [uml-devel] Re: uml-patch-2.6.0
@ 2004-01-13  5:18 ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-01-13  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, user-mode-linux-devel

> This patch updates UML to 2.6.0 and pulls in all the changes that have
>  accumulated in my 2.4 tree.

I forgot to mention that newer libcs won't boot on 2.6 UMLs until I get
[gs]et_thread_area implemented.  Older libcs are fine, as are new libcs on
2.4 UMLs.

				Jeff