* make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-13 16:55 Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-13 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

root@beton:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22$ make htmldocs
chmod 755 /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/scripts/docgen
chmod 755 /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/scripts/gen-all-syms
chmod 755 /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/scripts/kernel-doc
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/DocBook books
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/DocBook'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `books'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/DocBook'
make -C Documentation/DocBook html
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/DocBook'
*** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***

1) What is DocBook stylesheets?
2) How do I install DocBook stylesheets?
3) Bugreport: there should be written
"Linux kernel depends on DocBook stylesheets. You may download DocBook
stylesheets here-and-there." in README

Cl<

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14  9:46 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2003-10-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhav?; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:55:39PM +0200, Karel Kulhav? wrote:
> *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 1) What is DocBook stylesheets?

Standard SGML representation system for technical documents.

> 2) How do I install DocBook stylesheets?

Depends on distribution.

> 3) Bugreport: there should be written
> "Linux kernel depends on DocBook stylesheets. You may download DocBook
> stylesheets here-and-there." in README

Depends on distribution. We also don't tell for every distribution
where to get gcc and how to install it.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands
| Data lost? Stay calm and contact Harddisk-recovery.com

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 10:09   ` Karel Kulhavý
                       ` (6 more replies)
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:46:02AM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:55:39PM +0200, Karel Kulhav? wrote:
> > *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > 1) What is DocBook stylesheets?
>
> Standard SGML representation system for technical documents.

Is it a program, set of documents or what? Is it self-contained
anywhere so I can download that at once?

Coul you please point me to a specification of an object called
"DocBook stylesheets"?

> > 2) How do I install DocBook stylesheets?
>
> Depends on distribution.

How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
manually.

Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?

> > 3) Bugreport: there should be written
> > "Linux kernel depends on DocBook stylesheets. You may download DocBook
> > stylesheets here-and-there." in README
>
> Depends on distribution. We also don't tell for every distribution
> where to get gcc and how to install it.

Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
is stylesheets.

If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable. Could you please
recommend me some other open-source free operating system where I don't
need to have a "distribution" to be even able to read it's enclosed
documentation? I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
because I am unable to read it's manual.

Cl<

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 10:48     ` Clemens Schwaighofer
                       ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Clemens Schwaighofer @ 2003-10-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 11:04     ` Erik Mouw
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Erik Mouw @ 2003-10-14 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhav?; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:09:46PM +0200, Karel Kulhav? wrote:
> > > 2) How do I install DocBook stylesheets?
> >
> > Depends on distribution.
>
> How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> manually.

Not the problem of the kernel. If you can build your whole system
manually, you also know how to use Google.

> Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?

Replying again: Depends on distribution. (On Debian: apt-get install
docbook docbook-dsssl).

> Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
> depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
> project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
> There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
> is stylesheets.

Distributions tend to package these kind of projects. DocBook is one of
the projects that has been packaged by the distributions. GCC is
another project.

> If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
> for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
> and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable. Could you please
> recommend me some other open-source free operating system where I don't
> need to have a "distribution" to be even able to read it's enclosed
> documentation? I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
> because I am unable to read it's manual.

DocBook is not necessary to *build* the kernel. It's only used to make
nicely formatted documents from the comments already in the kernel
source or to make nicely formatted documents from the source of the
books in Documentation/DocBook/. If you don't have DocBook available,
that doesn't make the kernel less portable, all documentation is
available in a human readable format.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands
| Data lost? Stay calm and contact Harddisk-recovery.com

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 11:16     ` Michael Still
                         ` (2 more replies)
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Still @ 2003-10-14 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: Erik Mouw, linux-kernel

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-2] Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> > > 2) How do I install DocBook stylesheets?
> >
> > Depends on distribution.
>
> How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> manually.

Then surely you have enough clue to do your own web surf for DocBook
information. One way would be to randomly select a disto, and see what
they install to make it work.

> Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?

Let's take the Debian example. The Makefiles state that I need db2html to
convert to your chosen HTML format. db2html is provided by docbook-utils,
which it would seems installs the files listed publically at:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=docbook-utils&searchmode=filelist&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

Now, it turns out that docbook-utils is the name of the open source
package, as well as the Debian package:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/docbook-utils/

So, I guess that tells you what to install.

> > > 3) Bugreport: there should be written
> > > "Linux kernel depends on DocBook stylesheets. You may download DocBook
> > > stylesheets here-and-there." in README
> >
> > Depends on distribution. We also don't tell for every distribution
> > where to get gcc and how to install it.
>
> Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
> depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
> project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
> There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
> is stylesheets.

Dude, he was just trying to ask what distro you use, in order to help you
out. Of course how you install it changes based on the distro you're
using.

> If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
> for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
> and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable.

Given than most Linux distros are open source themselves, and that the
documentation for many of them is open, perhaps we should all now take an
opportunity to reflect on how non-sensical this statement is. Did you also
consider that a bunch of this documentation is available pre-built on the
web? For example, a bunch of the kernel API man pages can be found at:

http://www.stillhq.com/linux/mandocs/

> Could you please
> recommend me some other open-source free operating system where I don't
> need to have a "distribution" to be even able to read it's enclosed
> documentation? I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
> because I am unable to read it's manual.

FreeBSD? OpenBSD? NetBSD? Minix? I recommend you look through the list at
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au if you really feel the urge to move on.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"

* Re: make htmldocs
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-14 12:51     ` Pavel Machek
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-10-14 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhav 375; +Cc: Erik Mouw, linux-kernel

Hi!

> > > 1) What is DocBook stylesheets?
> >
> > Standard SGML representation system for technical documents.
>
> Is it a program, set of documents or what? Is it self-contained
> anywhere so I can download that at once?
>
> Coul you please point me to a specification of an object called
> "DocBook stylesheets"?

This is linux-kernel, not linux-looser-help.

Anyway, if some docs needs clarification, feel free to submit patch
(diff -u) to 'trivial patch monkey'.
--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 12:57       ` Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:04:13PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:

> > > Depends on distribution.
> >
> > How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> > manually.
>
> Not the problem of the kernel. If you can build your whole system
> manually, you also know how to use Google.

I put "install docbook stylesheets" into google and found:

* Norm Walsh's stylesheets for DocBook
* SGML DocBook Stylesheets
* docbook-stylesheets-doc
* docbook-dsssl-stylesheets
* DocBook XSLT stylesheets

Please tell me which of them should I install to get Linux Kernel
docs compiled.

> > Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?
>
> Replying again: Depends on distribution. (On Debian: apt-get install
> docbook docbook-dsssl).

On http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook there are:

docbook-dsssl
docbook-dsssl-doc
docbook-testdocs
docbook-xsl
jrefenty
litprog
slides
slides-demo
website
xslt-include-import-test

I can't see neither "docbook" nor "stylesheets". Please tell me which of
them should I use to install "DocBook stylesheets" or "docbook".

> > Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
> > depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
> > project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
> > There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
> > is stylesheets.
>
> Distributions tend to package these kind of projects. DocBook is one of
> the projects that has been packaged by the distributions. GCC is
> another project.

When I install gcc, I don't use any distribution-packaged whatever.
I just:
* download source tarball from GCC homepage
* ./configure
* make
* make install

Have done it already at least twenty times with various versions of gcc and
never needed anything packaged by any distribution.

Cl<

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 13:44       ` Karel Kulhavý
       [not found]         ` <200310140842.57178.shawnfu@willden.org>
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Still; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:16:39PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:

> > > Depends on distribution.
> >
> > How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> > manually.
>
> Then surely you have enough clue to do your own web surf for DocBook
> information. One way would be to randomly select a disto, and see what
> they install to make it work.

This is a reverse-engineering. Linux Kernel README should contain either:
* an information how to compile the HTML docs or
* a pointer to a step-by-step guide how to do it

a message "reverse-engineer it yourself" is not acceptable for Linux
Kernel README.

Oct 24 15:42:08 brain kernel: PARSE ERROR at "*** You need to install DocBook
stylesheets ***" in stdin:-1: reality object pointer "DocBook stylesheets" not
defined while parsing natural language "English" at lng_parse.c: 56788

Please supply either a guide how to compile HTML docs for kernel into README
or a pointer to it INCLUDING SETTING UP DOCBOOK STYLESHEETS ON USER'S
MACHINE

Cl<

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 14:09       ` Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Still; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Let's take the Debian example. The Makefiles state that I need db2html to
> convert to your chosen HTML format. db2html is provided by docbook-utils,
> which it would seems installs the files listed publically at:

Sorry I downloaded source and installed. No db2html emerged, just docbook2html.
Tried debian's patch for the source. The same.
Tried symlinking docbook2html to db2html:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clock/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/DocBook'
rm -rf wanbook
db2html wanbook.sgml
jw: Please specify at least one catalog

Sorry but your guide seems not to work.

Again, please tell me, how to compile Linux Kernel HTML Documentation.

Cl<

> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=docbook-utils&searchmode=filelist&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386
>
> Now, it turns out that docbook-utils is the name of the open source
> package, as well as the Debian package:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/docbook-utils/
>
> So, I guess that tells you what to install.

> > > Depends on distribution. We also don't tell for every distribution
> > > where to get gcc and how to install it.
> >
> > Do you say that the place where DocBook stylesheet sources can be downloaded
> > depends on distribution I have? I have been looking at their sourceforge
> > project page but there is nothing like "download DocBook stylesheets".
> > There are DocBook-dsssl and a ton of other cryptic packages but none of them
> > is stylesheets.
>
> Dude, he was just trying to ask what distro you use, in order to help you
> out. Of course how you install it changes based on the distro you're
> using.
>
> > If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
> > for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
> > and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable.
>
> Given than most Linux distros are open source themselves, and that the
> documentation for many of them is open, perhaps we should all now take an
> opportunity to reflect on how non-sensical this statement is. Did you also
> consider that a bunch of this documentation is available pre-built on the
> web? For example, a bunch of the kernel API man pages can be found at:
>
> http://www.stillhq.com/linux/mandocs/
>
> > Could you please
> > recommend me some other open-source free operating system where I don't
> > need to have a "distribution" to be even able to read it's enclosed
> > documentation? I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
> > because I am unable to read it's manual.
>
> FreeBSD? OpenBSD? NetBSD? Minix? I recommend you look through the list at
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au if you really feel the urge to move on.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikal
>
> --
>
> Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
> http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"
> UTC + 10                          |    -- Homer Simpson

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-14 14:41       ` Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Still; +Cc: linux-kernel

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/docbook-utils/

Tried this. It wants jade. Installed jade. jade is a X Window
System appliaction. During compilation of
docbook-utils-0.6.13 I got a message:
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I am doing this on a router where I have no X server. How can
I view Linux Kernel HTML documentation on a router where I have got only
an ssh access and no X server?

I suggest considering replacing the DocBook bloatware for something
more sane in the kernel tree. You could maybe generate the html
docs yourself and simply put them somewhere into the Documentation/
directory into the kernel sources. Or at least on the web, but then
the people offline couldn't even read the instruction manual for their
kernel.

> Dude, he was just trying to ask what distro you use, in order to help you
> out. Of course how you install it changes based on the distro you're
> using.

I don't use any distro. I have compiled my operating system from scratch.

> > If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
> > for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
> > and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable.
>
> Given than most Linux distros are open source themselves, and that the

Your talk about distros is OT. I don't have any distro. I have built my
system from the source. I just
want to know how to build the kernel HTML docs.

I have built Gnome, Qt, Xfree86, gcc, glibc, j2sdk1.4.1 and mozille from
sources, but haven't used dpkg or rpm yet.

If Linux Kernel is package-only, please tell me. I will do a cat /dev/zero >
/dev/hda then and move on to OBSD then.

> web? For example, a bunch of the kernel API man pages can be found at:
>
> http://www.stillhq.com/linux/mandocs/
>
> > Could you please
> > recommend me some other open-source free operating system where I don't
> > need to have a "distribution" to be even able to read it's enclosed
> > documentation? I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
> > because I am unable to read it's manual.
>
> FreeBSD? OpenBSD? NetBSD? Minix? I recommend you look through the list at
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au if you really feel the urge to move on.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikal
>
> --
>
> Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
> http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"
> UTC + 10                          |    -- Homer Simpson

* Re: make htmldocs -- docbook-utils
       [not found]         ` <200310140842.57178.shawnfu@willden.org>
@ 2003-10-14 15:06           ` Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Willden; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:42:56AM -0600, Shawn Willden wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 07:44 am, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
>
> > Please supply either a guide how to compile HTML docs for kernel into
> > README or a pointer to it INCLUDING SETTING UP DOCBOOK STYLESHEETS ON
> > USER'S MACHINE
>
> Please write such a guide after you figure out how to do it and submit it
> as a patch.
>
> Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  Otherwise, you're
> certainly free to use one of the other operating systems that have been
> recommended.  Threats and bluster won't get you any further than whining.
> A bit of work on your own, on the other hand, will get you what you want,
> and a willingness to share is a great way to show appreciation for what
> others have given you for free.

OK, I agree with you. This is what my ideal world of free software looks like
:)

I am trying to figure out the guide but ran into numerous problems.

First I tried to install the sources of docbook-utils from Debian
sources, either with or without their patch. Neither of them installs the required db2html
script db2html.

Then I tried to install docbook-utils-0.6.13 from freshmeat.net's docbook-utils
entry.  It required jade (some kind of UNIX editor) jade required librep (LISP
interpreter and virtual machine) librep first seemed to require gmp but then I
discovered it can be built without GMP

Having installed librep and jade, I tried to compiile the docbook-utils-0.6.13
but it crashes during make on cryptic message:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clock/docbook-utils-0.6.13/doc/HTML'
SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog \
SGML_SEARCH_PATH=../..:../../doc:.. \
        jade -t sgml -i html -d ../../docbook-utils.dsl\#html \
                -V '%use-id-as-filename%' ../../doc/docbook-utils.sgml
make[2]: *** [api.html] Error 5
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clock/docbook-utils-0.6.13/doc/HTML'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clock/docbook-utils-0.6.13/doc'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Do you have any suggestion what it could be? All the prerequisites
seem to be installed.

Cl<

> In case it may be of assistance, I have attached the db2html script from my
> system.
>
> Shawn.

* Re: make htmldocs
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-14 17:29     ` Guy
From: Guy @ 2003-10-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 06:09, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my
> whole system manually.
>
> Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?

Try here: http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

If you have Gentoo: # emerge -S docbook

Guy

--
Recyle computers. Install Gentoo GNU/Linux.

* Re: make htmldocs
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-14 17:52     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2003-10-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: Erik Mouw, linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:09:46PM +0200, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> I have been using Linux Kernel for 7 years but can't anymore
> because I am unable to read it's manual.

The *.tmpl files and the sgml files are easy readable.
The only thing docbook does is to add a bit more formatting, indexes etc.
But nothing that prevents you from reading it if you need to do so.
Please stop this kind of arguments if we shall not stop listening.

When you have figured out how to install the required tools I would
be glad to receive a write-up that I can include somewhere in the kernel
to help others in the process.

	Sam

* Re: make htmldocs
       [not found]         ` <200310140842.57178.shawnfu@willden.org>
@ 2003-10-14 19:50         ` Michael Still
From: Michael Still @ 2003-10-14 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-2] Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> > > How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole system
> > > manually.
> >
> > Then surely you have enough clue to do your own web surf for DocBook
> > information. One way would be to randomly select a disto, and see what
> > they install to make it work.
>
> This is a reverse-engineering. Linux Kernel README should contain either:

[snip]

No, it's thinking for yourself.

> a message "reverse-engineer it yourself" is not acceptable for Linux
> Kernel README.

You're right. But being able to install software without hand holding is.
We're talking about code level documentation here, not user documentation.

[snip]

> Please supply either a guide how to compile HTML docs for kernel into README
> or a pointer to it INCLUDING SETTING UP DOCBOOK STYLESHEETS ON USER'S
> MACHINE

I'm sure a patch will be considered on it's merits by the kernel
community.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

@ 2003-10-14 19:55         ` Michael Still
From: Michael Still @ 2003-10-14 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-2] Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> I suggest considering replacing the DocBook bloatware for something
> more sane in the kernel tree. You could maybe generate the html
> docs yourself and simply put them somewhere into the Documentation/
> directory into the kernel sources. Or at least on the web, but then
> the people offline couldn't even read the instruction manual for their
> kernel.

It's not the instruction manual. It's kernel API documentation, for the
kernel code, used by kernel developers.

Then again, I'm happy to be wrong on this. I suggest you develop and
submit a patch to address your concerns. The patch should probably take
account of:

 - the existing formatted documentation comments
 - the existing code to turn those comments into docbook
(scripts/kernel-doc)
 - the existing man page generation scripts (scripts/makeman
scripts/split-man)
 - the difficulty of keeping separate HTML documentation in sync with the
code
 - the fact that docbook is the accepted standard for open source
documentation (including the ldp)

I look forward to reading your patch.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

@ 2003-10-14 21:53         ` Michael Still
From: Michael Still @ 2003-10-14 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-2] Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> > http://freshmeat.net/projects/docbook-utils/
>
> Tried this. It wants jade. Installed jade. jade is a X Window
> System appliaction. During compilation of
> docbook-utils-0.6.13 I got a message:
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Ahhh. Wrong jade. Checkout http://www.jclark.com/jade/ instead.

Mikal

--

@ 2003-10-15 11:01 ` Jean Charles Delepine
From: Jean Charles Delepine @ 2003-10-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Karel Kulhavý <clock@twibright.com> écrivait (wrote) :

> 3) Bugreport: there should be written
> "Linux kernel depends on DocBook stylesheets. You may download DocBook
> stylesheets here-and-there." in README

In README you should have read :
                                      Please read the Changes file, as it
   contains information about the problems, which may result by upgrading
   your kernel.

 - The Documentation/DocBook/ subdirectory contains several guides for
   kernel developers and users.  These guides can be rendered in a
   number of formats:  PostScript (.ps), PDF, and HTML, among others.
   After installation, "make psdocs", "make pdfdocs", or "make htmldocs"
   will render the documentation in the requested format.

And in Documentation/Changes :

Linux documentation for functions is transitioning to inline
documentation via specially-formatted comments near their
definitions in the source.  These comments can be combined with the
SGML templates in the Documentation/DocBook directory to make DocBook
files, which can then be converted by DocBook stylesheets to PostScript,
HTML, PDF files, and several other formats.  In order to convert from
DocBook format to a format of your choice, you'll need to install Jade
as well as the desired DocBook stylesheets.

And :

Jade
----
o  <ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/jade/jade-1.2.1.tar.gz>

DocBook Stylesheets
-------------------
o  <http://nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/>

Please RTFM before trying to compile your own kernel or use your
favorite distribution's binary kernel.

Sincerly,
      Jean Charles

* Re: make htmldocs
                       ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-15 19:30     ` Thomas Horsten
From: Thomas Horsten @ 2003-10-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý, Erik Mouw; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 11:09, Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> How do I determine what distribution I have? I have compiled my whole
> system manually.
>
> Asking again: how do I install "DocBook stylesheets"?

You don't know which distribution you have, but managed to compile your own system manually.

And you managed all that, without knowing how to use Google. Amazing :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=DocBook%20stylesheets&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

// Thomas

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-15 19:37         ` Thomas Horsten
From: Thomas Horsten @ 2003-10-15 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý, Michael Still; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 15:09, Karel Kulhavý wrote:

> Again, please tell me, how to compile Linux Kernel HTML Documentation.

You know, Linux is a collaborative effort and you seem to think you can come in here
and order people around.

If you want this included in the documentation, by all means, do the research, come
up with a formula, add it to the README and submit a patch to Linus.

Thanks.

PS: I know - "Don't feed the trolls".. I won't write any more in this thread.

* Re: make htmldocs
@ 2003-10-16 19:26           ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-10-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Horsten; +Cc: Karel Kulhavý, Michael Still, linux-kernel

Hi!

> If you want this included in the documentation, by all means, do the research, come
> up with a formula, add it to the README and submit a patch to Linus.

Better submit it to trivial patch monkey -
 Rusty trivial patch monkey Russell <trivial@rustcorp.com.au>,
Linus is likely to drop it.

> PS: I know - "Don't feed the trolls".. I won't write any more in this thread.

This is not a troll. I know him personally, and he's big,
but not *that* big. ;-)