* weird keyboard problem
@ 2003-07-20  1:01 qwms-avib
From: qwms-avib @ 2003-07-20  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Newbie

I have just installed AbiWord to my modified Slackware system.
Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the letters/numbers on the
keyboard.  When I press a letter/number key nothing happens.
All the other keys work:  Space, Backspace, Home, End, UpArrow,
DownArrow, LeftArrow, RightArrow, keys, PageUp, PageDown, Enter.
Even the Ctrl and Alt combinations work (eg. I can exit AbiWork
using Ctrl-Q).  Mouse is fine: I can click on drop-down menus
and select options.  I can use the symbol tool (with the mouse)
to enter letters/numbers.  They show up on the screen just fine
(it's just their keys that don't work).  I can load documents
and edit them using the keys that work (space, backspace, etc.).

And here's the weirdest part:  if I click on File->Save As,
the letter/number keys all work in the little box.  But as
soon as I close the window and return to the main AbiWord
text-entry area, the keys do nothing.

I have never seen this problem before.  The Ted wordprocessor
is working fine on this system (and I've also run a couple of
other wordprocessors without this problem).  Mozilla runs fine.
What's with AbiWord????

Cheers,
Steven
-

* Re: weird keyboard problem
@ 2003-07-20  1:33 ` jude dashiell
From: jude dashiell @ 2003-07-20  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qwms-avib; +Cc: Linux-Newbie

antiword doesn't do that.

--
Registered as user #315636 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org/!

* Re: weird keyboard problem
@ 2003-07-20 17:16 ` James Hatridge
From: James Hatridge @ 2003-07-20 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qwms-avib, Linux-Newbie

Hi Steven et al...

You must be using an older version of AbiWord. This was "normal" with the
verison that shipped with SuSE 7.3. But when I upgraded to SuSE 8.1 it was
corrected. So I think that the anwser for you is to get the newst version and
use it.

Hope this help,

JIM

On Sunday 20 July 2003 03:01, qwms-avib@dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> I have just installed AbiWord to my modified Slackware system.
> Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the letters/numbers on the
> keyboard.  When I press a letter/number key nothing happens.
> All the other keys work:  Space, Backspace, Home, End, UpArrow,
> DownArrow, LeftArrow, RightArrow, keys, PageUp, PageDown, Enter.
> Even the Ctrl and Alt combinations work (eg. I can exit AbiWork
> using Ctrl-Q).  Mouse is fine: I can click on drop-down menus
> and select options.  I can use the symbol tool (with the mouse)
> to enter letters/numbers.  They show up on the screen just fine
> (it's just their keys that don't work).  I can load documents
> and edit them using the keys that work (space, backspace, etc.).
>
> And here's the weirdest part:  if I click on File->Save As,
> the letter/number keys all work in the little box.  But as
> soon as I close the window and return to the main AbiWord
> text-entry area, the keys do nothing.
>
> I have never seen this problem before.  The Ted wordprocessor
> is working fine on this system (and I've also run a couple of
> other wordprocessors without this problem).  Mozilla runs fine.
> What's with AbiWord????
>
> Cheers,
> Steven
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

Jim Hatridge
Linux User #88484
- --
Our country was colonized by the religious, political, economic, and criminal
rejects of every country in the world. We have been carefully breeding insane,
obsessive, fanatic lunatics with each other for over 400 years, resulting in
the glorious strain of humanity known as "Americans". You have to expect
some... peculiarities.

Read about new German stamps each quarter:
	 http:/www.fecundswamp.net/~hatridge/bulletin

-