* weird keyboard problem
@ 2003-07-20  1:01 qwms-avib
From: qwms-avib @ 2003-07-20  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Newbie

I have just installed AbiWord to my modified Slackware system.
Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the letters/numbers on the
keyboard.  When I press a letter/number key nothing happens.
All the other keys work:  Space, Backspace, Home, End, UpArrow,
DownArrow, LeftArrow, RightArrow, keys, PageUp, PageDown, Enter.
Even the Ctrl and Alt combinations work (eg. I can exit AbiWork
using Ctrl-Q).  Mouse is fine: I can click on drop-down menus
and select options.  I can use the symbol tool (with the mouse)
to enter letters/numbers.  They show up on the screen just fine
(it's just their keys that don't work).  I can load documents
and edit them using the keys that work (space, backspace, etc.).

And here's the weirdest part:  if I click on File->Save As,
the letter/number keys all work in the little box.  But as
soon as I close the window and return to the main AbiWord
text-entry area, the keys do nothing.

I have never seen this problem before.  The Ted wordprocessor
is working fine on this system (and I've also run a couple of
other wordprocessors without this problem).  Mozilla runs fine.
What's with AbiWord????

Cheers,
Steven
-