* 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 15:13 James Miller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

A precocious 16 year old "Linux guru" friend (I taught him the basics
about a year ago, now he knows about 3x more than I do) recently set up a
new laptop for me with Gentoo and the 2.6.x kernel.  Despite the obvious
genius displayed in this endeavor, he forgot (as adolescents are prone to
do) to implement some fairly basic features in the kernel: namely the
system speaker and wireless networking.  This leaves me the task of
getting those things operational myself, which means recompiling the
kernel.  I've not done much kernel compiling - once or twice, if memory
serves - and all documentation I have refers to 2.4.x kernels and earlier.
I just did a quick 'net search and couldn't find anything specific on
2.6.x kernel compiling.  At the same time, I have understood from the
friend that 2.6.x kernel compiling differs somewhat.  So, can anyone
direct me to any sources on 2.6.x kernel compiling?  I have an overall
grasp of the earlier kernel compiling process, so I'm mainly interested in
how compiling the newer kernel differs.  I generated a .config file for
the current kernel using instructions provided by the friend in question,
and of course have the kernel source on the system.  So, pointers to any
overviewish documentation specific to 2.6.x kernel compiling would be
appreciated, as would general remarks on how compiling differs with the
2.6.x kernel from compiling earlier kernels.

Thanks, James
-

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 19:39 EXT-Reimer, Jim D
From: EXT-Reimer, Jim D @ 2004-01-05 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

> I can't find the reference right now, but I think step 3
> should actually be 'make install' if you want to get a
> compressed kernel image and System.map file moved to either /
> or /boot (if you have edited the Makefile to install to
> /boot).  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Here's an "overviewish" page covering the process:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

-jdr-
-

* Re: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 21:45 chakkerz
From: chakkerz @ 2004-01-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

dunno if that helps, but Linux Format had an article on how to do it in
November (the one with the baby on the cover). I'd copy the instructions out
(ahh ... plagerism), but someone at work nicked the magazine (darn MS
users)...

mayhaps the local library (or the linux format web page) has the article.
--
with kind regards,
  chakkerz

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless - Reverence)

  Internet:          http://naiv.sourceforge.net
  NAIV Status:
     Stable       Testing       Development
      0.2.3r2      none          0.3.0 - Installation

"May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins" (Animatrix)

-