* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 19:39 EXT-Reimer, Jim D
From: EXT-Reimer, Jim D @ 2004-01-05 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

> I can't find the reference right now, but I think step 3
> should actually be 'make install' if you want to get a
> compressed kernel image and System.map file moved to either /
> or /boot (if you have edited the Makefile to install to
> /boot).  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Here's an "overviewish" page covering the process:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

-jdr-
-

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 20:09 ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EXT-Reimer, Jim D; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, EXT-Reimer, Jim D wrote:

> > I can't find the reference right now, but I think step 3
> > should actually be 'make install' if you want to get a
> > compressed kernel image and System.map file moved to either /
> > or /boot (if you have edited the Makefile to install to
> > /boot).  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
> >

> Here's an "overviewish" page covering the process:
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

Great link - thanks for providing it.  It's got just about all I need to
proceed with this.

James
-

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-05 22:08   ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Ok.  It turns out the system speaker is enabled in the .config file:

# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT is not set

I looked through that file for other entries relevant to system speaker
functioning, but nothing jumped out at me (not that I'd know what to make
of it if it did).  I also searched a bit online for "system speaker" or
"console beep", narrowed further by "2.6", but didn't find much helpful.
As a next step, just to convince myself that there aren't maybe some
issues regarding the system speaker using the 2.6 kernel, can I ask here
if anyone using that kernel can get system speaker output?  echo -e "\a" -
is the traditional command line way of making the system speaker sound.
If you run this kernel and can report results of this command (or whatever
else you might do to sound the system speaker), I would apreciate it.

Thanks, James
-

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-05 22:19     ` caszonyi
From: caszonyi @ 2004-01-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Miller; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> Ok.  It turns out the system speaker is enabled in the .config file:
>
> # Input Device Drivers
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
> # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
> CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ makes the speeker beep :-)
works for me :-)

maybe you forgot to reinstall kernel.
Or maybe the kernel build system got confused ?

do a make clean and then a make bzImage to regenerate the kernel

--
"A mouse is a device used to point at
the xterm you want to type in".

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-05 22:49       ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 caszonyi@rdslink.ro wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:
>
> > Ok.  It turns out the system speaker is enabled in the .config file:
> >
> > # Input Device Drivers
> > #
> > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> > CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
> > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
> > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
> > # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> > # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
> > # CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
> > CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
> > CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
>
> this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ makes the speeker beep :-)
> works for me :-)
>
> maybe you forgot to reinstall kernel.
> Or maybe the kernel build system got confused ?
>
> do a make clean and then a make bzImage to regenerate the kernel

Just to be clear, this *is* the config for the running kernel.  I didn't
try any recompiling yet, not being sure if it would help since the speaker
seems already to be enabled in the kernel.  In which case doing "make
clean" and "make bzImage" don't seem like they would make much difference,
as I understand it.  So, you're saying that the console beep/system
speaker works fine on your system with the 2.6 kernel?  If so, I'll
presume the problem lies in some peculiarity in my system (dang thing
worked fine under the 2.4.21 Gentoo used for the install!).

Thanks, James
-

* RE: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-05 23:12         ` caszonyi
From: caszonyi @ 2004-01-05 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Miller; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 caszonyi@rdslink.ro wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Ok.  It turns out the system speaker is enabled in the .config file:
> > >
> > > # Input Device Drivers
> > > #
> > > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> > > CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> > > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
> > > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
> > > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
> > > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> > > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
> > > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
> > > # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> > > # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
> > > # CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
> > > CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
> > > CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
> >
> > this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ makes the speeker beep :-)
> > works for me :-)
> >
> > maybe you forgot to reinstall kernel.
> > Or maybe the kernel build system got confused ?
> >
> > do a make clean and then a make bzImage to regenerate the kernel
> >
> Just to be clear, this *is* the config for the running kernel.  I didn't
> try any recompiling yet, not being sure if it would help since the speaker
> seems already to be enabled in the kernel.  In which case doing "make
> clean" and "make bzImage" don't seem like they would make much difference,
> as I understand it.  So, you're saying that the console beep/system
> speaker works fine on your system with the 2.6 kernel?  If so, I'll
> presume the problem lies in some peculiarity in my system (dang thing
> worked fine under the 2.4.21 Gentoo used for the install!).

yes it works. I had the same problem until i realised that i hadn't
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR in my kernel
here is the relevant part from my config (comments stripped)

CONFIG_INPUT=y

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768

CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y

CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y

> Thanks, James
> -

Calin
--

@ 2004-01-06  6:05     ` Theo. Sean Schulze
From: Theo. Sean Schulze @ 2004-01-06  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have the volume turned up?  I am using the ALSA sound modules, and they, as default, start up with the sound muted.  I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so every time I reboot that machine, I have to reset the sound levels to something higher than zero.

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:08:07PM -0600, James Miller hunted and pecked out:
> Ok.  It turns out the system speaker is enabled in the .config file:
>
> # Input Device Drivers
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
> # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
> CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
> # CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT is not set
>
> I looked through that file for other entries relevant to system speaker
> functioning, but nothing jumped out at me (not that I'd know what to make
> of it if it did).  I also searched a bit online for "system speaker" or
> "console beep", narrowed further by "2.6", but didn't find much helpful.
> As a next step, just to convince myself that there aren't maybe some
> issues regarding the system speaker using the 2.6 kernel, can I ask here
> if anyone using that kernel can get system speaker output?  echo -e "\a" -
> is the traditional command line way of making the system speaker sound.
> If you run this kernel and can report results of this command (or whatever
> else you might do to sound the system speaker), I would apreciate it.
>
> Thanks, James
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

--
Theo. Sean Schulze
tschulze@teamfinders.org
-

* Re: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-06 14:42       ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-06 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Theo. Sean Schulze wrote:

> Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have the volume turned up?  I am using the ALSA sound modules, and they, as default, start up with the sound muted.  I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so every time I reboot that machine, I have to reset the sound levels to something higher than zero.

And a brilliant shot in the dark it was!  I ran across, somewhere on the
web, the "alsamixer" command and even ran it (that's my kind of app -
colors and shapes in a console).  I saw "PCSpeaker" there, and even turned
up the volume, but that didn't get me any console beep.  Well, I just had
a look at it again after reading your post.  This time, I noted that
certain of the items listed there had an "off" flag by them - among these
the PCSpeaker.  I toggled that flag and - voila! - system speaker!  So, it
woiks, it woiks!  I just would never have guessed that alsa was something
that governs the PC's speaker - I thought that was a separate "low level"
(however that parses out in my benighted understanding of these things)
item.  Can anyone help clarify this for me?  Anyway, thanks to all for
input on this - it's now fixed (provided the settings I did stick).

Thanks, James
-

* Re: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview-the unfolding saga
@ 2004-01-06 20:56         ` caszonyi
From: caszonyi @ 2004-01-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Miller; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Theo. Sean Schulze wrote:
>
> > Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have the volume turned up?  I am using the ALSA sound modules, and they, as default, start up with the sound muted.  I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so every time I reboot that machine, I have to reset the sound levels to something higher than zero.
> >

> And a brilliant shot in the dark it was!  I ran across, somewhere on the
> web, the "alsamixer" command and even ran it (that's my kind of app -
> colors and shapes in a console).  I saw "PCSpeaker" there, and even turned
> up the volume, but that didn't get me any console beep.  Well, I just had
> a look at it again after reading your post.  This time, I noted that
> certain of the items listed there had an "off" flag by them - among these
> the PCSpeaker.  I toggled that flag and - voila! - system speaker!  So, it
> woiks, it woiks!  I just would never have guessed that alsa was something
> that governs the PC's speaker - I thought that was a separate "low level"
> (however that parses out in my benighted understanding of these things)
> item.  Can anyone help clarify this for me?  Anyway, thanks to all for
> input on this - it's now fixed (provided the settings I did stick).

It seems that some on-board sound controllers seem to be able to control
the pc speaker. At least at my work we have some windoz machines which
have this "feature"

> Thanks, James
> -

Calin

--

@ 2004-01-05 21:45 chakkerz
From: chakkerz @ 2004-01-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

dunno if that helps, but Linux Format had an article on how to do it in
November (the one with the baby on the cover). I'd copy the instructions out
(ahh ... plagerism), but someone at work nicked the magazine (darn MS
users)...

mayhaps the local library (or the linux format web page) has the article.
--
with kind regards,
  chakkerz

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless - Reverence)

  Internet:          http://naiv.sourceforge.net
  NAIV Status:
     Stable       Testing       Development
      0.2.3r2      none          0.3.0 - Installation

"May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins" (Animatrix)

-

* Re: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 21:36 ` James Turnbull
From: James Turnbull @ 2004-01-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

James Miller wrote:
> to 2.4.x kernels and earlier. I just did a quick 'net search and
> couldn't find anything specific on
> 2.6.x kernel compiling.  At the same time, I have understood from the
> friend that 2.6.x kernel compiling differs somewhat.  So, can anyone
> direct me to any sources on 2.6.x kernel compiling?  I have an overall

This is a good site for this info:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/kernel.html

HTH

Regards

James Turnbull
-

* Re: 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 18:16   ` Theo. Sean Schulze
From: Theo. Sean Schulze @ 2004-01-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:51:23PM +0530, joy hunted and pecked out:
> James Miller wrote:

[James Miller's request for info on compiling a 2.6.x kernel snipped.]

> There isn't much of a difference actually, the only major difference (to
> us end users ;)
> is that the compilation looks cleaner.
> also, now there are fewer steps to follow (thank god)
> 1. make mrproper
> 2. make menuconfig
>    here you can load the config file created and add the rest of the
> necessary options.
> 3. make
>    this takes care of even generating the bzImage (hooray!)
> 4. make modules
> 5. make modules_install (which I had forgotten and asked on this list today)
> so all you have to do is copy the image to your /boot, run lilo (after
> editing lilo.conf, obviously) and you are done!

I can't find the reference right now, but I think step 3 should actually be 'make install' if you want to get a compressed kernel image and System.map file moved to either / or /boot (if you have edited the Makefile to install to /boot).  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Cheers,
Sean

@ 2004-01-05 17:21 ` joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-05 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Miller; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-05 15:43 ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

In case anyone should get any ideas about going to the "source" for the
sort of information I hope to find: I've just been to
www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 and there is, indeed, a README-2.6
file there.  If one would expect to find the sort of information I need,
one would think that, of all places, it should be here.  Unfortunately, it
is a zero byte file.  It doesn't contain any text.  All focus on
development here, it seems clear, with explication only following as an
afterthought.

James

PS Nothing on the system under /usr/src/linux or
/usr/src/linux/Documentation seems very relevant, either.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> A precocious 16 year old "Linux guru" friend (I taught him the basics
> about a year ago, now he knows about 3x more than I do) recently set up a
> new laptop for me with Gentoo and the 2.6.x kernel.  Despite the obvious
> genius displayed in this endeavor, he forgot (as adolescents are prone to
> do) to implement some fairly basic features in the kernel: namely the
> system speaker and wireless networking.  This leaves me the task of
> getting those things operational myself, which means recompiling the
> kernel.  I've not done much kernel compiling - once or twice, if memory
> serves - and all documentation I have refers to 2.4.x kernels and earlier.
> I just did a quick 'net search and couldn't find anything specific on
> 2.6.x kernel compiling.  At the same time, I have understood from the
> friend that 2.6.x kernel compiling differs somewhat.  So, can anyone
> direct me to any sources on 2.6.x kernel compiling?  I have an overall
> grasp of the earlier kernel compiling process, so I'm mainly interested in
> how compiling the newer kernel differs.  I generated a .config file for
> the current kernel using instructions provided by the friend in question,
> and of course have the kernel source on the system.  So, pointers to any
> overviewish documentation specific to 2.6.x kernel compiling would be
> appreciated, as would general remarks on how compiling differs with the
> 2.6.x kernel from compiling earlier kernels.
>
> Thanks, James
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
-

* 2.6.0 kernel compile overview
@ 2004-01-05 15:13 James Miller