* commit <sha> upstream. vs git cherry-pick -x
@ 2021-03-10 22:37 Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-03-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: # 3.4.x, Greg KH, Sasha Levin; +Cc: clang-built-linux

Hello stable maintainers,
While working on some backports I'm about to send hopefully today or
tomorrow, I was curious why the convention seems to be for folks to
use "commit <sha> upstream." in commit messages?  I know that's what's
in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html#option-3,
but I was curious whether the format from `git cherry-pick -xs <sha>`
is not acceptable? I assume there's context as to why not?  It is nice
to have that info uniformly near the top, but I find myself having to
cherry-pick then amend a lot.  Or is there an option in git to
automate the stable kernel's preferred style?

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: commit <sha> upstream. vs git cherry-pick -x
@ 2021-03-10 23:35 ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-03-10 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: # 3.4.x, Greg KH, clang-built-linux

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:37:03PM -0800, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
>Hello stable maintainers,
>While working on some backports I'm about to send hopefully today or
>tomorrow, I was curious why the convention seems to be for folks to
>use "commit <sha> upstream." in commit messages?  I know that's what's
>in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html#option-3,
>but I was curious whether the format from `git cherry-pick -xs <sha>`
>is not acceptable? I assume there's context as to why not?  It is nice
>to have that info uniformly near the top, but I find myself having to
>cherry-pick then amend a lot.  Or is there an option in git to
>automate the stable kernel's preferred style?

AFAIK it's just due to historical reasons. Both the stable tree and git
added this "feature" at about the same time, each doing it slightly
differently.

Sasha

* Re: commit <sha> upstream. vs git cherry-pick -x
@ 2021-03-11  7:00 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-03-11  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: # 3.4.x, Sasha Levin, clang-built-linux

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:37:03PM -0800, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> Hello stable maintainers,
> While working on some backports I'm about to send hopefully today or
> tomorrow, I was curious why the convention seems to be for folks to
> use "commit <sha> upstream." in commit messages?  I know that's what's
> in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html#option-3,
> but I was curious whether the format from `git cherry-pick -xs <sha>`
> is not acceptable? I assume there's context as to why not?  It is nice
> to have that info uniformly near the top, but I find myself having to
> cherry-pick then amend a lot.  Or is there an option in git to
> automate the stable kernel's preferred style?

There is no option in git, but I do have a script:
	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git/tree/scripts/c2p
that takes a git id and turns it into the format we use.

I think Sasha has one somewhere as well that does it in a nicer way
(mine is in perl and hard-codes a lot of stuff).

thanks,

greg k-h