* commit <sha> upstream. vs git cherry-pick -x
@ 2021-03-10 22:37 Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-03-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: # 3.4.x, Greg KH, Sasha Levin; +Cc: clang-built-linux

Hello stable maintainers,
While working on some backports I'm about to send hopefully today or
tomorrow, I was curious why the convention seems to be for folks to
use "commit <sha> upstream." in commit messages?  I know that's what's
in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html#option-3,
but I was curious whether the format from `git cherry-pick -xs <sha>`
is not acceptable? I assume there's context as to why not?  It is nice
to have that info uniformly near the top, but I find myself having to
cherry-pick then amend a lot.  Or is there an option in git to
automate the stable kernel's preferred style?

~Nick Desaulniers