* Please apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series from 5.10.y back to 4.19.y
@ 2021-04-16 19:56 Salvatore Bonaccorso
From: Salvatore Bonaccorso @ 2021-04-16 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Sasha Levin, Miklos Szeredi, James Morris,
	Steve Beattie

Hi Greg, hi Sasha

Please consider to apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move
cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series at
least back to 4.19.y. It applies to there (but have not tested older
series) and could test a build on top of 5.10.y with the commit.

The commit was applied in 5.11-rc1 and from the commit message:

    vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()

    cap_convert_nscap() does permission checking as well as conversion of the
    xattr value conditionally based on fs's user-ns.

    This is needed by overlayfs and probably other layered fs (ecryptfs) and is
    what vfs_foo() is supposed to do anyway.

Additionally, in fact additionally for distribtuions kernels which do
allow unprivileged overlayfs mounts this as as well broader
consequences, as explained in
https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2021/04/16/1 .

Thanks for considering!

Regards,
Salvatore

* Re: Please apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series from 5.10.y back to 4.19.y
  2021-04-16 19:56 Please apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series from 5.10.y back to 4.19.y Salvatore Bonaccorso
@ 2021-04-16 21:04 ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-04-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: stable, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Miklos Szeredi, James Morris, Steve Beattie

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:56:08PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>Hi Greg, hi Sasha
>
>Please consider to apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move
>cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series at
>least back to 4.19.y. It applies to there (but have not tested older
>series) and could test a build on top of 5.10.y with the commit.
>
>The commit was applied in 5.11-rc1 and from the commit message:
>
>    vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()
>
>    cap_convert_nscap() does permission checking as well as conversion of the
>    xattr value conditionally based on fs's user-ns.
>
>    This is needed by overlayfs and probably other layered fs (ecryptfs) and is
>    what vfs_foo() is supposed to do anyway.
>
>Additionally, in fact additionally for distribtuions kernels which do
>allow unprivileged overlayfs mounts this as as well broader
>consequences, as explained in
>https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2021/04/16/1 .

Is it needed without the rest of the patches in the series it was sent
in
(https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20201207163255.564116-1-mszeredi@redhat.com/)?

Sasha

@ 2021-04-17  8:40 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-04-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Miklos Szeredi, James Morris, Steve Beattie

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:56:08PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi Greg, hi Sasha
>
> Please consider to apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move
> cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series at
> least back to 4.19.y. It applies to there (but have not tested older
> series) and could test a build on top of 5.10.y with the commit.
>
> The commit was applied in 5.11-rc1 and from the commit message:
>
>     vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()
>
>     cap_convert_nscap() does permission checking as well as conversion of the
>     xattr value conditionally based on fs's user-ns.
>
>     This is needed by overlayfs and probably other layered fs (ecryptfs) and is
>     what vfs_foo() is supposed to do anyway.

Does this actually solve an in-kernel problem, or is only an issue for
out-of-tree filesystems?

> Additionally, in fact additionally for distribtuions kernels which do
> allow unprivileged overlayfs mounts this as as well broader
> consequences, as explained in
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2021/04/16/1 .

That's an out-of-tree issue from what I can tell, what in-kernel issue
does the above commit resolve?  Or am I reading that report incorrectly?

thanks,

greg k-h

@ 2021-04-17 18:36   ` Salvatore Bonaccorso
From: Salvatore Bonaccorso @ 2021-04-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin
  Cc: stable, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Miklos Szeredi, James Morris,
	Steve Beattie, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo

Hi Sasha,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 05:04:04PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:56:08PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > Hi Greg, hi Sasha
> >
> > Please consider to apply commit 7c03e2cda4a5 ("vfs: move
> > cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()") to stable series at
> > least back to 4.19.y. It applies to there (but have not tested older
> > series) and could test a build on top of 5.10.y with the commit.
> >
> > The commit was applied in 5.11-rc1 and from the commit message:
> >
> >    vfs: move cap_convert_nscap() call into vfs_setxattr()
> >
> >    cap_convert_nscap() does permission checking as well as conversion of the
> >    xattr value conditionally based on fs's user-ns.
> >
> >    This is needed by overlayfs and probably other layered fs (ecryptfs) and is
> >    what vfs_foo() is supposed to do anyway.
> >
> > Additionally, in fact additionally for distribtuions kernels which do
> > allow unprivileged overlayfs mounts this as as well broader
> > consequences, as explained in
> > https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2021/04/16/1 .
>
> Is it needed without the rest of the patches in the series it was sent
> in
> (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20201207163255.564116-1-mszeredi@redhat.com/)?

This is a very valid question. In fact from the series already
89bdfaf93d91 ("ovl: make ioctl() safe") was backported as well to
5.10.y (in 5.10.4). My thinking was it would make sense to pick as
well the mentioned commit as it fixes as well a specific issue.

If though you and Greg think my request is not valid, then so it will
be. I in any case have Miklos, Steve and Thadeu here which might
further comment.

Thanks for your work, which is not easy to sort out what to apply and
what not, much appreciated. My intention here is not to cause you more
hassle, but cover the initial mentioned aspect for downstream
distributions.

Regards,
Salvatore