* Is LO_FLAGS_DIRECT_IO by default a good idea?
@ 2021-10-18 14:19 Lennart Poettering
From: Lennart Poettering @ 2021-10-18 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Jens Axboe, Ming Lei, Martijn Coenen
  Cc: linux-block, Luca Boccassi, Karel Zak

eMing, Christoph, Jens!

Ming, 5 years ago or so you added support for dio/aio for the
loopback block device, i.e. LO_FLAGS_DIRECT_IO. As I understood it's
supposed to improve performance of loopback block devices
substantially. I noticed that there's various software that enables it
by default (Android, Docker), but a lot of other candidates currently
do not (util-linux, Ubuntu Snaps, various systemd tools). We recently
got a request to enable it by default in systemd, but information is
scarce on the precise effect of enabling this, and whether there are
any drawbacks.

So my question really is just: is this a flag we should all just
enable by default? Is there any reason not to enable it? Should
util-linux' losetup defaults be changed regarding this?

A brief answer like "yes, please, enable by default" would already
make me happy.

Thank you,

Lennart

--