* Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-07 18:11 Patrick Williams
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-07 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC List

Greetings,

According to this document[1], the TOF should be holding elections starting on
March 1st for seats starting April 1st.  There are activities that the current
TOF is expected to do in order for those elections to be able to be held:

* Jan 15th: Current TOF must publish a list of eligible voting members.
* Jan 30th:	Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
            list.
* Jan 30th:	Developers disputing membership eligibility must submit a petition
            request to the current TOF.
* Feb 15th:	Current TOF must publish a final list of eligible voting members
            and upcoming candidates for TOF seats

Since this is the first election there are some tools that needed to be written
in order to accomplish these tasks.  I've now finished the initial draft of the
tools necessary to accomplish the Jan 15th deadline[2].

There are also some process items that the TOF is suppose to agree / publish.
For those I have opened 3 TOF proposals for approval[3]:

- #7: Set "Highly Productive" threshold to 95 points for 2021H2
- #8: Accept tools for election data collection.
- #9: Accept 2022H1 rollcall

TOF members will need to move relative fast at deciding on these in order to
accomplish the Jan 15th deadline.  Please voice any concerns you may have on any
of the TOF proposals to the mailing list (or a TOF member) quickly.

The most important data that people will want to see is the list of individuals
who qualify for voting in the upcoming election.  The current draft (for
approval with issue #9) is found here[4].  If you are not found on the final
list and believe that you should be you may petition by Jan 30th by opening a
separate issue to the issue list[3] with the evidence for your inclusion.

1. https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/tof/membership-and-voting.md
2. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc-tools/+/50200
3. https://github.com/openbmc/technical-oversight-forum/issues
4. https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-tof-elections/blob/main/2022H1/rollcall.json

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-10  1:39 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2022-01-10  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, OpenBMC List

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022, at 04:41, Patrick Williams wrote:
> The most important data that people will want to see is the list of individuals
> who qualify for voting in the upcoming election.  The current draft (for
> approval with issue #9) is found here[4].
> 4. https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-tof-elections/blob/main/2022H1/rollcall.json

How are the following terms derived?

* highly-productive
* active
* emertius (sic? emeritus?)

 I didn't see mention of these terms in the tof-voters patches.

Maybe I didn't read the associated documentation closely enough?

Still would have thought this would be captured in the scripts.

Andrew

* Re: Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-10  1:41   ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2022-01-10  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, OpenBMC List

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022, at 12:09, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022, at 04:41, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> The most important data that people will want to see is the list of individuals
>> who qualify for voting in the upcoming election.  The current draft (for
>> approval with issue #9) is found here[4].
>> 4. https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-tof-elections/blob/main/2022H1/rollcall.json
>
> How are the following terms derived?
>
> * highly-productive
> * active
> * emertius (sic? emeritus?)
>
>  I didn't see mention of these terms in the tof-voters patches.
>
> Maybe I didn't read the associated documentation closely enough?

Ah, as soon as I send that I see [1]. Still, it defines 'Normal' and 'Highly-Productive' but not 'active' and 'emertius'.

[1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/50202/1/tof/membership-and-voting.md

* Re: Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-10 14:25     ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: OpenBMC List

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:11:49PM +1030, Andrew Jeffery wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022, at 12:09, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jan 2022, at 04:41, Patrick Williams wrote:
> >> The most important data that people will want to see is the list of individuals
> >> who qualify for voting in the upcoming election.  The current draft (for
> >> approval with issue #9) is found here[4].
> >> 4. https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-tof-elections/blob/main/2022H1/rollcall.json
> >
> > How are the following terms derived?
> >
> > * highly-productive
> > * active
> > * emertius (sic? emeritus?)

It is quite probable that I've messed up spelling somewhere.  I'll get to the
bottom of where.  (Should be emeritus)

> >  I didn't see mention of these terms in the tof-voters patches.
> >
> > Maybe I didn't read the associated documentation closely enough?
>
> Ah, as soon as I send that I see [1]. Still, it defines 'Normal' and 'Highly-Productive' but not 'active' and 'emertius'.
>
> [1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/50202/1/tof/membership-and-voting.md

It not in that change, but in the original part of the document:
    https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/tof/membership-and-voting.md

> Membership is determined using data from the previous 6 months of development
> contributions.  Using this data, the TOF will publish a list of Active Members
> of the two tiers.  An individual who was an Active Member of a tier in the
> preceding 6 months, but does not qualify in the most recent 6 months, will be
> listed as an Member Emeritus for 6 months.  Both Active and Emertius members
> are eligible for elections.

So more specifically there are the following states:
    - Non-Member
    - Emeritus Member
    - Active Member - Normal Status
    - Active Member - Highly Productive Status

Non-members are individuals who did not contribute enough points in either of
the last two 6 month periods.  Emeritus members contributed enough in the
previous 6 month period to qualify, but not the current 6 month period.
Active members contributed enough in the 6 month period to qualify for
elections.  Depending on the amount of their contributions they are either
"normal" or "highly productive".

In the roll-call JSON I used the following:
    - Non-Members are left out.
    - Emeritus should be "emeritus"
    - Active Member - Normal Status is simply "active"
    - Active and Highly Productive is "highly-productive"

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-14 22:16 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC List

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> * Jan 15th: Current TOF must publish a list of eligible voting members.

The official list of eligible voters for this half has been accepted by the TOF
and is published here:

https://github.com/openbmc/tof-election/blob/b0fcea13c5433a06c6a01b32e27083e7cb74420c/2022H1/rollcall.json

I have included the list of github ids at the end of this email as well.

> * Jan 30th:	Developers disputing membership eligibility must submit a petition
>             request to the current TOF.
> * Feb 15th:	Current TOF must publish a final list of eligible voting members
>             and upcoming candidates for TOF seats

If your name is not on the above list and you believe this in error, you have
until January 30th to open an issue here with your evidence for inclusion:

https://github.com/openbmc/technical-oversight-forum/issues

> * Jan 30th:	Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
>             list.

According to this document we have 4 seats up for election this half:
    https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/tof/membership-and-voting.md

There requirements are:

    - You must be eligible to vote for yourself (ie. you must be in the linked
      rollcall.json).

    - Only 2 members may be from the same company.  This doesn't mean that
      we cannot have multiple nominations from the same company, but only 2
      may be placed from the election results.

If you are interested in joining the TOF, or want to nominate someone, please
reply to the mailing list with your interest by Jan 30th.

---

[ Kostr, Krellan, PlotCondor, PriyangaRamasamy, RashmicaG, ZhikuiRen, adathatri,
  amboar, anoo1, anvesh001, bentyner, bjwyman, bradbishop, brandonkimbk,
  derick-montague, dixsie, drakedog2008, edtanous, geissonator, gkeishin,
  gokulsvg, gtmills, jebr224, jmbills, johnwedig, jonathan-doman, jwludzik,
  kazmierczak-lukasz, krzysztof-i, lxwinspur, manojkiraneda, mikecgithub,
  mine260309, msbarth, ojayanth, peterp-ibm, prkatti1, rahulmah, ratagupt,
  sampmisr, sandeepasingh116, santoshpuranik, sbteeks, sdompke, smccarney,
  spinler, sumbhat90, susilsi7, tomjoseph83, tonylee79, vishwabmc, vmauery,
  wak-google, williamspatrick, wltu, wrightjl1, ya-mouse, zane131 ]

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-14 22:31   ` Patrick Williams
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC List

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:

> > * Jan 30th:	Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
> >             list.

I'll be the first to nominate myself for participating in the TOF as my
current term is one of the 4 up for election.

I suspect most developers know me already.  I've been around the project since
the beginning (other than a 2 year break where I didn't work on BMCs) and I'm
a very active contributor, reviewer, and Discordian.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upcoming TOF elections
@ 2022-01-15  3:09   ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-15  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC List

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> The official list of eligible voters for this half has been accepted by the TOF
> and is published here:
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/tof-election/blob/b0fcea13c5433a06c6a01b32e27083e7cb74420c/2022H1/rollcall.json

Someone found a bug in the script that I used to generate the points from
Gerrit, which caused us to under-count commits.  The result of fixing this is
that more people qualified for the election than originally published.

An unofficial list is now published here:
https://github.com/openbmc/tof-election/blob/c50f5beea2be92806cebad57486474c7dabecef2/2022H1/rollcall.json

The TOF will need to re-vote in order to make this the new official list.

The [likely] qualified individuals are now:
[ AshwiniC777, FighterNan, Howitzer105mm, IsaacPK, JinFuLin, Kostr, Krellan,
  Pavithrab7, PlotCondor, PriyangaRamasamy, RameshIyyar, RashmicaG, SpencerKu,
  SrideviRamesh, Srisuk, SunnySrivastava1984, SurenNeware, ZhikuiRen, aahmed-2,
  adathatri, alatarum, amboar, anoo1, anvesh001, bentyner, bjwyman, bradbishop,
  brandonkimbk, chalapathivenkataramashetty, cjcain, derick-montague,
  dheerajpdsk, dhruvibm, dixsie, drakedog2008, eddiejames, edtanous,
  geissonator, georgehung1210, gkeishin, gokulsvg, gtmills, jaypadath, jebr224,
  jmbills, johnwedig, jonathan-doman, jwludzik, kazmierczak-lukasz, krzysztof-i,
  lxwinspur, manojkiraneda, meghagn12345, mikecgithub, mine260309, msbarth,
  ojayanth, patelabhishek9893, paulfertser, peterp-ibm, prkatti1, pstrinkle,
  rahulmah, ratagupt, raviteja-b, sagisin, sampmisr, sandeepasingh116,
  santoshpuranik, sbteeks, sdompke, shrsuman123, smccarney, spinler, sumbhat90,
  sunharis, sushmm99, susilsi7, tomjoseph83, tonylee79, vijaykhemka, vishwabmc,
  vmauery, wak-google, williamspatrick, wltu, wrightjl1, ya-mouse,
  yoshiemuranaka, zane131, zevweiss ]

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-19 23:30     ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2022-01-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, OpenBMC List

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022, at 09:01, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>
>> > * Jan 30th:	Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
>> >             list.
>
> I'll be the first to nominate myself for participating in the TOF as my
> current term is one of the 4 up for election.

I'm also nominating myself.

> I suspect most developers know me already.  I've been around the project since
> the beginning (other than a 2 year break where I didn't work on BMCs) and I'm
> a very active contributor, reviewer, and Discordian.

For the same reasons, sans the 2 year break :)

Andrew

* Re: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-24 19:56     ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2022-01-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, William Kennington; +Cc: OpenBMC List

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 2:31 PM Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>
> > > * Jan 30th: Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
> > >             list.

I'd like to nominate William Kennington to be on the TOF.  He has been
a long time contributor to the project with commits going all the way
back to January 2018 [1].  He has hundreds of patches landed on
master, and maintains a combination core libraries and
end-applications, and has a long history of both significant
improvements and cleanups.  This round of voting shows he's 1 of 12
"highly productive" members in terms of participation scoring [2].  I
think he would be a great addition to the TOF.

[1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/owner:wak%2540google.com
[2] https://github.com/openbmc/tof-election/blob/c50f5beea2be92806cebad57486474c7dabecef2/2022H1/rollcall.json#L85

* Re: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-26 11:10       ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2022-01-26 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC List

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 3:57 AM Ed Tanous <edtanous@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 2:31 PM Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:

> I'd like to nominate William Kennington to be on the TOF.  He has been
> a long time contributor to the project with commits going all the way
> back to January 2018 [1].  He has hundreds of patches landed on
> master, and maintains a combination core libraries and
> end-applications, and has a long history of both significant
> improvements and cleanups.  This round of voting shows he's 1 of 12
> "highly productive" members in terms of participation scoring [2].  I
> think he would be a great addition to the TOF.
>
> [1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/owner:wak%2540google.com
> [2] https://github.com/openbmc/tof-election/blob/c50f5beea2be92806cebad57486474c7dabecef2/2022H1/rollcall.json#L85

I would like to nominate Joel Stanley to be on the TOF.
He has been well known as the maintainer of the OpenBMC Linux Kernel
tree for years and I guess everyone who works in kernel/u-boot/qemu
knows him.
I think he would be a great member of the TOF.

* Re: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-28 21:10         ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-01-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC List

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 07:10:26PM +0800, Lei YU wrote:

Hi Lei Yu,

> I would like to nominate Joel Stanley to be on the TOF.
> He has been well known as the maintainer of the OpenBMC Linux Kernel
> tree for years and I guess everyone who works in kernel/u-boot/qemu
> knows him.
> I think he would be a great member of the TOF.

Joel is currently not in the list of eligible developers as the majority of his
work is not in Gerrit but with upstream development / downstream trees.  He
would need to confirm he is interested in this role and petition for inclusion
per [1].

1. https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blame/master/tof/membership-and-voting.md#L89

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-01-29  0:27     ` Terry Duncan
From: Terry Duncan @ 2022-01-29  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, OpenBMC List

On 1/14/22 2:31 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>
>>> * Jan 30th:	Nominations (self or peer) for TOF seats must be sent to the mailing
>>>              list.

I would like to nominate Jason Bills for the TOF. He is well known in
the LF community and an active contributor to the OpenBMC community. He
has a long list of submissions[1] going back to October 2018. He is
active on the mailing lists and the discord channel. He is maintainer of
five OpenBMC repositories including x86-power-control,
phosphor-sel-logger, host-error-monitor, libpeci and peci-pcie. Jason
actively reviews code submissions on these repositories and others [2].
Jason will a great asset to the OpenBMC TOF.

[1]
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/owner:jason.m.bills%2540linux.intel.com,275

[2]
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/reviewedby:jason.m.bills%2540linux.intel.com

* RE: TOF Nominations
@ 2022-02-07 17:36       ` Khetan, Sharad
From: Khetan, Sharad @ 2022-02-07 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terry Duncan, Patrick Williams, OpenBMC List

Hi All,
I would like to nominate Sumanth Bhat for the TOF. I realize this is past the deadline, but would like the TOF to consider his nomination if possible. Sumanth has been contributing to OpenBMC since beginning of 2020 is playing an important role in bringing MCTP and PLDM to OpenBMC.

Thanks,
Sharad

@ 2022-02-14 23:01 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-02-14 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)