* Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2023-12-21 11:30 Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2023-12-21 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, ps, gitster

Hey list,

For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on
gitlab. Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0]
10k+ pulls :p)

I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub
would pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a
Dockerfile which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning
(time ..) on submitting this upstream to the list, but never did.
Because of me not doing that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to
script it) rebase the branch. Docker then did some changes to their
business, where the docker builds where not possible anymore.

So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker
hub. Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.

Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the
docker container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all,
git is very stable overal.

So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add
support for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!

Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)

So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they
are pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.

Two, hopefully get Patrick Steinhardt to help out to get unlimited
minutes and storage on the repo :)

Three, see what the opinion of people here is on this. I'll do the work
to get the dockerfile (now containerfile, we're inclusive after all)
merged, and the CI file updated to create, store (and push to docker
hub) the generated containers.

Thanks,
Olliver

[0]: https://hub.docker.com/r/gitscm/git
[1]: https://gitlab.com/gitscm/git

P.S. I'm not subscribed, so please keep me in the CC :)

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2023-12-21 11:48 ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2023-12-21 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on gitlab.
> Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0] 10k+ pulls
> :p)
>
> I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub would
> pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a Dockerfile
> which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning (time ..) on
> submitting this upstream to the list, but never did. Because of me not doing
> that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to script it) rebase the
> branch. Docker then did some changes to their business, where the docker
> builds where not possible anymore.
>
> So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker hub.
> Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.
>
> Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the docker
> container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all, git is very
> stable overal.
>
> So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add support
> for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!
>
> Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)
>
> So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they are
> pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.

Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
of this mirror for a rather long time.

I also wondered whether we want to have https://gitlab.com/git/git as we
do on GitHub. I don't think anybody registered it, but it is blocked
from being registered as far as I can tell. Maybe we block the namespace
out of caution, I dunno. I can certainly check in with our SREs in case
it is something the Git project would like to own.

> Two, hopefully get Patrick Steinhardt to help out to get unlimited minutes
> and storage on the repo :)

I'm sure we can do something here, but I'd rather aim to do this for the
official mirror which currently is the one I mentioned above. If the
project is interested in running builds on GitLab then I'm happy to
coordinate.

Also Cc Ævar, who is the current owner of the mirror. Would it be
possible to add myself as a second owner to the project? This might help
setting up the CI infrastructure. But please, if anybody disagrees with
me being added as an owner here I encourage you to say so.

> Three, see what the opinion of people here is on this. I'll do the work to
> get the dockerfile (now containerfile, we're inclusive after all) merged,
> and the CI file updated to create, store (and push to docker hub) the
> generated containers.

I don't really have much of an opinion here and will leave it to others
to discuss.

Thanks!

Patrick

PS: As most other folks I'll be OOO during holidays, so I may only
    answer sporadically.

> Thanks,
> Olliver
>
> [0]: https://hub.docker.com/r/gitscm/git
> [1]: https://gitlab.com/gitscm/git
>
> P.S. I'm not subscribed, so please keep me in the CC :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2023-12-22 14:06   ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2023-12-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt

Hey Patrick,

On December 21, 2023 12:48:12 p.m. GMT+01:00, Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
>> Hey list,
>>
>> For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on gitlab.
>> Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0] 10k+ pulls
>> :p)
>>
>> I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub would
>> pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a Dockerfile
>> which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning (time ..) on
>> submitting this upstream to the list, but never did. Because of me not doing
>> that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to script it) rebase the
>> branch. Docker then did some changes to their business, where the docker
>> builds where not possible anymore.
>>
>> So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker hub.
>> Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.
>>
>> Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the docker
>> container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all, git is very
>> stable overal.
>>
>> So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add support
>> for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!
>>
>> Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)
>>
>> So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they are
>> pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.
>
>Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
>GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
>of this mirror for a rather long time.
Not a wrench at all, and no, I didn't know. How old is it though :p could be that git-vcs was created cause I owned gitscm :)

I had chosen gitscm to match the official site, git-scm.org. the hyphen I left out because afaik it wasn't allowed on docker hub.

>I also wondered whether we want to have https://gitlab.com/git/git as we
>do on GitHub. I don't think anybody registered it, but it is blocked
>from being registered as far as I can tell. Maybe we block the namespace
>out of caution, I dunno. I can certainly check in with our SREs in case
>it is something the Git project would like to own.
Yeah couldn't figure out who it was either ... hence gitscm.

Sadly gitlab doesn't support aliases :) I'm more then happy to hand over the space. Whatever name is decided to be best.

@ 2023-12-28 11:13     ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2023-12-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 03:06:08PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> Hey Patrick,
>
> On December 21, 2023 12:48:12 p.m. GMT+01:00, Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> >> Hey list,
> >>
> >> For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on gitlab.
> >> Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0] 10k+ pulls
> >> :p)
> >>
> >> I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub would
> >> pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a Dockerfile
> >> which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning (time ..) on
> >> submitting this upstream to the list, but never did. Because of me not doing
> >> that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to script it) rebase the
> >> branch. Docker then did some changes to their business, where the docker
> >> builds where not possible anymore.
> >>
> >> So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker hub.
> >> Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.
> >>
> >> Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the docker
> >> container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all, git is very
> >> stable overal.
> >>
> >> So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add support
> >> for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!
> >>
> >> Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)
> >>
> >> So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they are
> >> pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.
> >
> >Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
> >GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
> >of this mirror for a rather long time.
>
> Not a wrench at all, and no, I didn't know. How old is it though :p
> could be that git-vcs was created cause I owned gitscm :)
>
> I had chosen gitscm to match the official site, git-scm.org. the
> hyphen I left out because afaik it wasn't allowed on docker hub.

No idea when exactly this mirror was created. The first mention of it in
the "What's cooking" report is in December 2020, 489058b80d (What's
cooking (2023/12 #05), 2023-12-27).

> >I also wondered whether we want to have https://gitlab.com/git/git as we
> >do on GitHub. I don't think anybody registered it, but it is blocked
> >from being registered as far as I can tell. Maybe we block the namespace
> >out of caution, I dunno. I can certainly check in with our SREs in case
> >it is something the Git project would like to own.
>
> Yeah couldn't figure out who it was either ... hence gitscm.
>
> Sadly gitlab doesn't support aliases :) I'm more then happy to hand
> over the space. Whatever name is decided to be best.

I don't particularly mind the name we ultimately settle with. The most
pragmatic choice would likely be to stick with what we already have.
Ideally, all the others would then be created as forks of the official
one so that they point back to it. Like this, users can learn about the
canonical location of the official GitLab-hosted mirror more easily.

In any case, regardless of which location it is going to be, I certainly
agree that having CI jobs running for it would be great. Folks here at
GitLab are mostly on vacation though, but I'll take care of this once
they are back and once Ævar has responded so that I can get access to
the current official mirror.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2023-12-28 14:50       ` Phillip Wood
From: Phillip Wood @ 2023-12-28 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt, Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt

On 28/12/2023 11:13, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 03:06:08PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
>> Hey Patrick,
>>
>> On December 21, 2023 12:48:12 p.m. GMT+01:00, Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
>>> Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
>>> GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
>>> of this mirror for a rather long time.
>>
>> Not a wrench at all, and no, I didn't know. How old is it though :p
>> could be that git-vcs was created cause I owned gitscm :)
>>
>> I had chosen gitscm to match the official site, git-scm.org. the
>> hyphen I left out because afaik it wasn't allowed on docker hub.
>
> No idea when exactly this mirror was created. The first mention of it in
> the "What's cooking" report is in December 2020, 489058b80d (What's
> cooking (2023/12 #05), 2023-12-27).

I think Ævar set it up towards the end of 2018 [1]. I think he used it
to do some testing using the gcc compile farm [2]

Best Wishes

Phillip

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/87k1mecj96.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/875zwm15k2.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-01-17  6:35   ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-01-17  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:48:12PM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> > Hey list,
> >
> > For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on gitlab.
> > Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0] 10k+ pulls
> > :p)
> >
> > I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub would
> > pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a Dockerfile
> > which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning (time ..) on
> > submitting this upstream to the list, but never did. Because of me not doing
> > that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to script it) rebase the
> > branch. Docker then did some changes to their business, where the docker
> > builds where not possible anymore.
> >
> > So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker hub.
> > Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.
> >
> > Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the docker
> > container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all, git is very
> > stable overal.
> >
> > So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add support
> > for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!
> >
> > Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)
> >
> > So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they are
> > pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.
>
> Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
> GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
> of this mirror for a rather long time.
>
> I also wondered whether we want to have https://gitlab.com/git/git as we
> do on GitHub. I don't think anybody registered it, but it is blocked
> from being registered as far as I can tell. Maybe we block the namespace
> out of caution, I dunno. I can certainly check in with our SREs in case
> it is something the Git project would like to own.

Circling back on this topic: https://gitlab.com/git is unfortunately
taken, so it's out of question. I'd say the most pragmatic thing to do
would thus be to retain the already-existing location of the official
mirror at GitLab.

I'm still trying to reach Ævar so that we can collaborate and set up CI
for that mirror.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-21 11:24     ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-21 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: git, gitster, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,
	psteinhardt, Christian Couder, Taylor Blau

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 07:35:55AM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:48:12PM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> > > Hey list,
> > >
> > > For years, I wanted (tried, but time) to run the mirror for git on gitlab.
> > > Actually, the original idea was to run a docker container ([0] 10k+ pulls
> > > :p)
> > >
> > > I initially set this up via docker build containers, where docker hub would
> > > pull my mirror of the git repo. My mirror, because I added a Dockerfile
> > > which was enough for docker to do its trick. I was planning (time ..) on
> > > submitting this upstream to the list, but never did. Because of me not doing
> > > that, I had to manually (I was even too lazy to script it) rebase the
> > > branch. Docker then did some changes to their business, where the docker
> > > builds where not possible anymore.
> > >
> > > So then I figured, I'll do the same on gitlab and push it to the docker hub.
> > > Thus I setup a mirror on gitlab [1], with the idea to work there on it.
> > >
> > > Again, I never got around to finalize this work, mostly because the docker
> > > container 'just worked' for pretty much everything. After all, git is very
> > > stable overal.
> > >
> > > So very interestingly, last month commit 0e3b67e2aa25edb ("ci: add support
> > > for GitLab CI") landed, which started to trigger pipeline jobs!
> > >
> > > Sadly, this only worked for 3 builds, as that's when the minutes ran out :)
> > >
> > > So one, I would very much like to offer the registered names (cause they are
> > > pretty nice in name) to here, so people can use and find it.
> >
> > Not to throw a wrench into this, but are you aware of the official
> > GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git? I myself wasn't aware
> > of this mirror for a rather long time.
> >
> > I also wondered whether we want to have https://gitlab.com/git/git as we
> > do on GitHub. I don't think anybody registered it, but it is blocked
> > from being registered as far as I can tell. Maybe we block the namespace
> > out of caution, I dunno. I can certainly check in with our SREs in case
> > it is something the Git project would like to own.
>
> Circling back on this topic: https://gitlab.com/git is unfortunately
> taken, so it's out of question. I'd say the most pragmatic thing to do
> would thus be to retain the already-existing location of the official
> mirror at GitLab.
>
> I'm still trying to reach Ævar so that we can collaborate and set up CI
> for that mirror.
>
> Patrick

I still have not been able to reach Ævar until now. Unless somebody else
has a way to contact him directly we at GitLab are wondering how to
continue. Two options:

  - Collaborate with our support folks at GitLab to add a new owner to
    the mirror. In theory we have this option, but none of us at GitLab
    feel that it is the right course of action. It feels too hostile and
    overreaching.

  - Set up a new official mirror hosted on GitLab and change the URLs
    that we advertise. We may want to use the one set up by Olliver
    (https://gitlab.com/gitscm/git), but in that case I'd want us to
    transfer ownership to people of the community that have been working
    on the project for a long time. We can also use an alternate URL,
    I'm happy to take proposals.

It would certainly be great to set up ownership of whatever solution we
arrive at such that it's more distributed across the community so that
we don't have a single point of failure in the future. Also, I don't
want us at GitLab to be the sole owners of the mirror, so I have been
wondering how the other mirrors are set up and whom we should add to any
such mirror.

In any case, once things are arranged I will collaborate with our
support folks to get free CI minutes for the new mirror.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-21 16:34       ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2024-03-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: Olliver Schinagl, git, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,

https://gitlab.com/git/ sems to give us 404, though.

> I still have not been able to reach Ævar until now. Unless somebody else
> has a way to contact him directly we at GitLab are wondering how to
> continue.

Git @ SFC has heard from avarab@gmail.com on Nov 29, 2023 but I do
not recall any more recent communications X-<.

> It would certainly be great to set up ownership of whatever solution we
> arrive at such that it's more distributed across the community so that
> we don't have a single point of failure in the future. Also, I don't
> want us at GitLab to be the sole owners of the mirror, so I have been
> wondering how the other mirrors are set up and whom we should add to any
> such mirror.

Distribution, yes.  I do not think we mind if the set of volunteer
owners end up to be all GitLab folks, but aiming for diversity is
good.

> In any case, once things are arranged I will collaborate with our
> support folks to get free CI minutes for the new mirror.

Wonderful.

Thanks.

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-21 22:27         ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2024-03-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano, Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: git, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt,
	Christian Couder, Taylor Blau

Hey all,

On March 21, 2024 5:34:25 p.m. GMT+01:00, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
>Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> writes:
>
>>> Circling back on this topic: https://gitlab.com/git is unfortunately
>>> taken, so it's out of question. I'd say the most pragmatic thing to do
>>> would thus be to retain the already-existing location of the official
>>> mirror at GitLab.
>
>https://gitlab.com/git/ sems to give us 404, though.

That seems tot indicatie this is a user, not a group (gitlab is more advanced then github), but I could be wrong. In both cases the user has set this to private.

My guess is, someone set this up as a bot-user or something the like. Maybebgitlab could check activity (internally and confidentially) and see if the user would want to talk. But I admit is a bit hostile. Other we have no way of reaching out.

As for my mirror, I started my mail with I'd me more then happy to transfer ownership. The name I post cked as a reference to git-scm.org, and never intended to keep it for myself. As I initially wrote, I was just slow and lazy to sort thongs out ;)

I will transfer and relinquish any and all control of the group once I know to whom.

Olliver

>> I still have not been able to reach Ævar until now. Unless somebody else
>> has a way to contact him directly we at GitLab are wondering how to
>> continue.
>
>Git @ SFC has heard from avarab@gmail.com on Nov 29, 2023 but I do
>not recall any more recent communications X-<.
>
>> It would certainly be great to set up ownership of whatever solution we
>> arrive at such that it's more distributed across the community so that
>> we don't have a single point of failure in the future. Also, I don't
>> want us at GitLab to be the sole owners of the mirror, so I have been
>> wondering how the other mirrors are set up and whom we should add to any
>> such mirror.
>
>Distribution, yes.  I do not think we mind if the set of volunteer
>owners end up to be all GitLab folks, but aiming for diversity is
>good.
>
>> In any case, once things are arranged I will collaborate with our
>> support folks to get free CI minutes for the new mirror.
>
>Wonderful.
>
>Thanks.

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-22  0:44           ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-22  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, git, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:27:07PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> Hey all,

> >https://gitlab.com/git/ sems to give us 404, though.
> >

> That seems tot indicatie this is a user, not a group (gitlab is more
> advanced then github), but I could be wrong. In both cases the user
> has set this to private.
>
> My guess is, someone set this up as a bot-user or something the like.
> Maybebgitlab could check activity (internally and confidentially) and
> see if the user would want to talk. But I admit is a bit hostile.
> Other we have no way of reaching out.

I checked with support folks and it is a private group if I remember
correctly. Whatever it was, it's not available right now.

> As for my mirror, I started my mail with I'd me more then happy to
> transfer ownership. The name I post cked as a reference to
> git-scm.org, and never intended to keep it for myself. As I initially
> wrote, I was just slow and lazy to sort thongs out ;)
>
> I will transfer and relinquish any and all control of the group once I
> know to whom.

Okay, thanks, I didn't quite remember :) In any case, unless we get a
hold of git-vcs/git, we have two viable options:

  - gitvcs/git owned by Olliver.

  - git-scm/git. I just discovered a few hours ago that the git-scm
    group is owned by Chris, so we can set this one up easily.

I'd personally rather go with the latter, mostly because it matches our
git-scm.com domain. I also like it better than the current git-vcs/git
because of that.

So Chris, would you mind adding me (@pks-t, my non-GitLab handle) as an
additional owner of that group? I'd be happy to manage the rest from
there -- setup of the project, mirroring, CI system and changing our
docs to point to the new mirror.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-22 10:08             ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2024-03-22 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: Olliver Schinagl, Junio C Hamano, git,
	Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt, Taylor Blau

(Sorry for initially sending this privately to Patrick.)

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:27:07PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> > Hey all,

> > As for my mirror, I started my mail with I'd me more then happy to
> > transfer ownership. The name I post cked as a reference to
> > git-scm.org, and never intended to keep it for myself. As I initially
> > wrote, I was just slow and lazy to sort thongs out ;)
> >
> > I will transfer and relinquish any and all control of the group once I
> > know to whom.
>
> Okay, thanks, I didn't quite remember :) In any case, unless we get a
> hold of git-vcs/git, we have two viable options:
>
>   - gitvcs/git owned by Olliver.
>
>   - git-scm/git. I just discovered a few hours ago that the git-scm
>     group is owned by Chris, so we can set this one up easily.

It's owned by me and James Ramsay (ex-GitLab). James created it when
he was the Gitaly Product Manager and added me as owner.

> I'd personally rather go with the latter, mostly because it matches our
> git-scm.com domain. I also like it better than the current git-vcs/git
> because of that.
>
> So Chris, would you mind adding me (@pks-t, my non-GitLab handle) as an
> additional owner of that group?

Done.

> I'd be happy to manage the rest from
> there -- setup of the project, mirroring, CI system and changing our
> docs to point to the new mirror.

Thanks for doing this!

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-22 13:04               ` Patrick Steinhardt
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Olliver Schinagl, Junio C Hamano, git,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:08:34AM +0100, Christian Couder wrote:
> (Sorry for initially sending this privately to Patrick.)
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
[snip]
> > I'd personally rather go with the latter, mostly because it matches our
> > git-scm.com domain. I also like it better than the current git-vcs/git
> > because of that.
> >
> > So Chris, would you mind adding me (@pks-t, my non-GitLab handle) as an
> > additional owner of that group?
>
> Done.

Thanks! I've set up the repository at https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git
now. I'm coordinating internally to get it signed up for the Open Source
program that we have at GitLab for CI and mirroring functionality.

For any of the stakeholders in the Git project, please feel free to
shoot me a message with your GitLab handle so that I can add you to the
group/project.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [PATCH 1/2] cook: switch unmaintained GitLab mirror to new URL
@ 2024-03-29 14:47                 ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Olliver Schinagl, Junio C Hamano,
	Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt, Taylor Blau,
	Christian Couder

One of the official mirrors for the Git project is hosted at
https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git. This mirror is only maintained by a
single person (Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason) whom we haven't been able to
contact for multiple months by now. Thus the mirror is essentially
unmaintained right now.

Given the recent introduction of support for GitLab CI into Git in
0e3b67e2aa (ci: add support for GitLab CI, 2023-11-09) there is interest
though to set up CI systems for the GitLab mirror. A new mirror was thus
created on GitLab at https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git that has been signed
up with the GitLab Open Source program, which gives that project free CI
minutes. Furthermore, this mirror has multiple owners (Christian Couder
and myself and we are happy to add more stakeholders) so that we do not
run into the same issue in the future.

Switch over the GitLab mirror URL to the new mirror.

Signed-off-by: Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im>
---

The new repository has now been registered with the GitLab Open Source
program. It has been configured to mirror [1] and CI pipelines run after
every mirror update.

Patrick

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git

 MaintNotes        | 2 +-
 cook              | 2 +-
 whats-cooking.txt | 2 +-

diff --git a/MaintNotes b/MaintNotes
index 919a9dc3fb..774ce56c20 100644
--- a/MaintNotes
+++ b/MaintNotes
@@ -135,7 +135,7 @@ My public git.git repositories are (mirrored) at:
   https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git
   https://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git/
   https://github.com/git/git/
-  https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git/
+  https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git/

 This one shows not just the main integration branches, but also
 individual topics broken out:
diff --git a/cook b/cook
index e1d9e6aba9..5fb2062574 100755
--- a/cook
+++ b/cook
@@ -398,7 +398,7 @@ With maint, master, next, seen, todo:
 	git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git/
 	https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git/
 	https://github.com/git/git/
-	https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git/
+	https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git/

 With all the integration branches and topics broken out:

diff --git a/whats-cooking.txt b/whats-cooking.txt
index bd471c4e78..24e9fc51df 100644
--- a/whats-cooking.txt
+++ b/whats-cooking.txt
@@ -27,7 +27,7 @@ With maint, master, next, seen, todo:
 	git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git/

--
2.44.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [PATCH 2/2] cook: update mirror URLs to use HTTPS
@ 2024-03-29 14:47                 ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Olliver Schinagl, Junio C Hamano,
	Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt, Taylor Blau,
	Christian Couder

Some of our mirror URLs are listed with the "git://" protocol even
though all of them actually support "https://". There is no good reason
to prefer the former over the latter. Quite on the contrary, given that
the "https://" protocol is encrypted it is a safer choice.

Update those mirror URLs to use "https://" protocols.

Signed-off-by: Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im>
---
 Announce          | 2 +-
 cook              | 6 +++---
 whats-cooking.txt | 6 +++---

diff --git a/Announce b/Announce
index 8ac01306e3..db0bedcdb0 100755
--- a/Announce
+++ b/Announce
@@ -113,7 +113,7 @@ cat <<\EOF

   url = https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git
   url = https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git
-  url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
+  url = https://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
   url = https://github.com/gitster/git
 EOF

diff --git a/cook b/cook
index 5fb2062574..b5450936a2 100755
--- a/cook
+++ b/cook
@@ -394,8 +394,8 @@ repositories have only a subset of branches.

 With maint, master, next, seen, todo:

-	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/
-	git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git/
+	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/
+	https://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git/
 	https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git/
 	https://github.com/git/git/
 	https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git/
@@ -409,7 +409,7 @@ are not sources, they are published in these repositories for
 convenience (replace "htmldocs" with "manpages" for the manual
 pages):

-	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git-htmldocs.git/
+	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git-htmldocs.git/
 	https://github.com/gitster/git-htmldocs.git/

 Release tarballs are available at:
diff --git a/whats-cooking.txt b/whats-cooking.txt
index 24e9fc51df..14f306df36 100644
--- a/whats-cooking.txt
+++ b/whats-cooking.txt
@@ -23,8 +23,8 @@ repositories have only a subset of branches.

@@ -38,7 +38,7 @@ are not sources, they are published in these repositories for
 convenience (replace "htmldocs" with "manpages" for the manual
 pages):

-	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git-htmldocs.git/
+	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git-htmldocs.git/
 	https://github.com/gitster/git-htmldocs.git/

 Release tarballs are available at:
--
2.44.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [PATCH 1/2] cook: switch unmaintained GitLab mirror to new URL
@ 2024-03-29 18:11                   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2024-03-29 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: git, Olliver Schinagl, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,
	psteinhardt, Taylor Blau, Christian Couder

Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> writes:

> The new repository has now been registered with the GitLab Open Source
> program. It has been configured to mirror [1] and CI pipelines run after
> every mirror update.

OK, thanks.

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30  8:14                 ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2024-03-30  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt, Christian Couder
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, git, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,
	psteinhardt, Taylor Blau

On 22-03-2024 14:04, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:08:34AM +0100, Christian Couder wrote:
>> (Sorry for initially sending this privately to Patrick.)
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I'd personally rather go with the latter, mostly because it matches our
>>> git-scm.com domain. I also like it better than the current git-vcs/git
>>> because of that.
>>>
>>> So Chris, would you mind adding me (@pks-t, my non-GitLab handle) as an
>>> additional owner of that group?

I'll empty out my gitscm group, make it private so that it won't be
accidentally used and transfer ownership to pks-t. You can then 'do what
is needed' with the group. Since gitlab doesn't support aliases (yet?
:p) best to park the namespace.

Olliver

>> Done.
>
> Thanks! I've set up the repository at https://gitlab.com/git-scm/git
> now. I'm coordinating internally to get it signed up for the Open Source
> program that we have at GitLab for CI and mirroring functionality.
>
> For any of the stakeholders in the Git project, please feel free to
> shoot me a message with your GitLab handle so that I can add you to the
> group/project.
>
> Patrick

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30  8:18                   ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 09:14:47AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> On 22-03-2024 14:04, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:08:34AM +0100, Christian Couder wrote:
> > > (Sorry for initially sending this privately to Patrick.)
> > >
> > > On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
> > [snip]

> I'll empty out my gitscm group, make it private so that it won't be
> accidentally used and transfer ownership to pks-t. You can then 'do what is
> needed' with the group. Since gitlab doesn't support aliases (yet? :p) best
> to park the namespace.
>
> Olliver

By the way, thanks a ton for being this open and helpful during the
whole process. This is greatly appreciated!

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30  8:20                     ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2024-03-30  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On 30-03-2024 09:18, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 09:14:47AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:

>>> [snip]

>> I'll empty out my gitscm group, make it private so that it won't be
>> accidentally used and transfer ownership to pks-t. You can then 'do what is
>> needed' with the group. Since gitlab doesn't support aliases (yet? :p) best
>> to park the namespace.
>>
>> Olliver
>
> By the way, thanks a ton for being this open and helpful during the
> whole process. This is greatly appreciated!

Hey, no problem. I initiated this discussion because I wanted to get to
this solution. Just because my mirror is not used doesn't mean I don't
agree :)

Btw, I can't transfer the group, it's empty, but if I delete it _right
now_, you'll have to re-create it, _right_now_ (well within the next 5
minutes?).

Olliver

> Patrick

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30  9:06                       ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-30  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 09:20:22AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> On 30-03-2024 09:18, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:

> > > I'll empty out my gitscm group, make it private so that it won't be
> > > accidentally used and transfer ownership to pks-t. You can then 'do what is
> > > needed' with the group. Since gitlab doesn't support aliases (yet? :p) best
> > > to park the namespace.
> > >
> > > Olliver
> >
> > By the way, thanks a ton for being this open and helpful during the
> > whole process. This is greatly appreciated!
>
> Hey, no problem. I initiated this discussion because I wanted to get to this
> solution. Just because my mirror is not used doesn't mean I don't agree :)
>
> Btw, I can't transfer the group, it's empty, but if I delete it _right now_,
> you'll have to re-create it, _right_now_ (well within the next 5 minutes?).

Shouldn't it be possible to add me as a secondary owner of the group in
[1]? From thereon I could "transfer" the group by removing you from it.

Patrick

[1]: https://gitlab.com/groups/gitscm/-/group_members

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30 10:59                         ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2024-03-30 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On 30-03-2024 10:06, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 09:20:22AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:

>>> By the way, thanks a ton for being this open and helpful during the
>>> whole process. This is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Hey, no problem. I initiated this discussion because I wanted to get to this
>> solution. Just because my mirror is not used doesn't mean I don't agree :)
>>
>> Btw, I can't transfer the group, it's empty, but if I delete it _right now_,
>> you'll have to re-create it, _right_now_ (well within the next 5 minutes?).
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to add me as a secondary owner of the group in
> [1]? From thereon I could "transfer" the group by removing you from it.

Done and done.

I'll remove myself, or you can kick me :( one I know you have
successfully received ownership. I tried to invite the group git-scm but
that couldn't be found, probably you can do that (and then remove
yourself :p)

Would have been useful to transfer ownership of a group, iirc you do
that with repo's as well? Under the hood it could use the invite +
remove members thing. Though this works.

@ 2024-03-30 18:06                           ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 11:59:51AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> On 30-03-2024 10:06, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:

> > > Hey, no problem. I initiated this discussion because I wanted to get to this
> > > solution. Just because my mirror is not used doesn't mean I don't agree :)
> > >
> > > Btw, I can't transfer the group, it's empty, but if I delete it _right now_,
> > > you'll have to re-create it, _right_now_ (well within the next 5 minutes?).
> >
> > Shouldn't it be possible to add me as a secondary owner of the group in
> > [1]? From thereon I could "transfer" the group by removing you from it.
>
> Done and done.
>
> I'll remove myself, or you can kick me :( one I know you have successfully
> received ownership. I tried to invite the group git-scm but that couldn't be
> found, probably you can do that (and then remove yourself :p)
>
> Would have been useful to transfer ownership of a group, iirc you do that
> with repo's as well? Under the hood it could use the invite + remove members
> thing. Though this works.

Thanks! I've added Christian to this group such that it has a higher bus
factor. I guess it should probably have the same owners as the "git-scm"
one just in case we ever want to do anything with it. I've also removed
you from this group now.

Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-30 23:54                             ` Olliver Schinagl
From: Olliver Schinagl @ 2024-03-30 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Steinhardt
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,

On March 30, 2024 7:06:51 p.m. GMT+01:00, Patrick Steinhardt <ps@pks.im> wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 11:59:51AM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:

>> > Shouldn't it be possible to add me as a secondary owner of the group in
>> > [1]? From thereon I could "transfer" the group by removing you from it.
>>
>> Done and done.
>>
>> I'll remove myself, or you can kick me :( one I know you have successfully
>> received ownership. I tried to invite the group git-scm but that couldn't be
>> found, probably you can do that (and then remove yourself :p)
>>
>> Would have been useful to transfer ownership of a group, iirc you do that
>> with repo's as well? Under the hood it could use the invite + remove members
>> thing. Though this works.
>
>Thanks! I've added Christian to this group such that it has a higher bus
>factor. I guess it should probably have the same owners as the "git-scm"
>one just in case we ever want to do anything with it. I've also removed

Could you not just invite the git-scm group and have no members at all?

>you from this group now.
>
>Patrick

* Re: Git mirror at gitlab
@ 2024-03-31  7:26                               ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2024-03-31  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olliver Schinagl
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, git,
	Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, psteinhardt, Taylor Blau