* Re: Dual/Triple Monitor with Intel HD 5000
@ 2015-01-06 13:46 Jonathan Haws
From: Jonathan Haws @ 2015-01-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: intel-gfx

>Your dock is probably a DP >MST device and so needs at >least kernel 3.17 to
>work properly. And the support >is still wip, so might run into >issues.
>Iirc you also need an upgraded >Xorg.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into upgrading my kernel.

Do you know what version of xorg is required?

Thanks!

* Re: Dual/Triple Monitor with Intel HD 5000
@ 2015-01-06  8:28 ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2015-01-06  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Haws; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 12:52:13AM +0000, Jonathan Haws wrote:
> I am running the latest drivers on an HP Folio 1040 G1.  I am trying to setup multiple monitors via the 2013 docking station (dual display port outputs, single VGA).
>
> I am running Xubuntu 14.04, fresh installation, kernel 3.13.0-43-generic from Ubuntu.
>
> Things seem to be working okay, however I am having a problem with the two display ports.  The two monitors plugged into the display ports are showing up as DP2 in xrandr, instead of separate monitors.  The VGA shows up as a separate monitor just fine and I can configure it separately (though it only shows up when I reboot).
>
> So, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. How can I force a refresh of the xrandr displays?  What I mean is, if I dock my laptop and don't see the VGA monitor show up, how can I force it to be detected without rebooting?
>
> 2. Is there any way that I can split the two display port monitors into separate monitors?  The only way I can get them to work right is to have them combined into a single display (i.e. a resolution of 3840x1200 instead of two 1920x1200 displays).  This is hard to work with since I can't maximize a window to just that monitor, rather it maximizes to the whole display.
>
> Thoughts?  Any ideas on how I can get this configured?
>
> I'm happy to send along any diagnostic information needed.  Just let me know what to send.

Your dock is probably a DP MST device and so needs at least kernel 3.17 to
work properly. And the support is still wip, so might run into issues.
Iirc you also need an upgraded Xorg.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Dual/Triple Monitor with Intel HD 5000
@ 2015-01-06  0:52 Jonathan Haws