* [WIC] Multiple WKS Files
@ 2020-05-02 18:22 Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-05-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

eMMC devices commonly have three hardware partitions: two boot
partitions and a user partition. I was looking for a convenient way to
have wic build an image for the boot partition and one for the user
partition. However, that does not seem to be possible right out of the
box. The variable WKS_FILE only accepts one file and not a list. The
class image_types_wic.bbclass uses WKS_FILES internally but that seems
to be a search list and the code only builds the file it finds first.

Is my understanding correct?

Any smart ideas to make this work?

Thanks,
Rudi

* Re: [yocto] [WIC] Multiple WKS Files
@ 2020-05-02 21:47 ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2020-05-02 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Sat, May 2, 2020, 1:22 PM Rudolf J Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com>
wrote:

> eMMC devices commonly have three hardware partitions: two boot
> partitions and a user partition. I was looking for a convenient way to
> have wic build an image for the boot partition and one for the user
> partition. However, that does not seem to be possible right out of the
> box. The variable WKS_FILE only accepts one file and not a list. The
> class image_types_wic.bbclass uses WKS_FILES internally but that seems
> to be a search list and the code only builds the file it finds first.

I think part of the problem is that wks files are tied to a rootfs image,
so it's not currently possible to have multiple because there is no way to
differentiate them. Also because of that it's a little odd to have a wks
file that doesn't reference the rootfs it's built with.

You might be able to do it by making a simple dummy image recipe for the
boot partition(s), then overriding the WKS_FILE variable for the image with
a pn override in the machine.conf file (e.g. WKS_FILE_pn-my-emmc-boot =
"emmc-boot.wks" )

@ 2020-05-04 16:14   ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-05-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2020 bytes --]

On 5/2/20 2:47 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:

> On Sat, May 2, 2020, 1:22 PM Rudolf J Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com
> <mailto:rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com>> wrote:
>
>     eMMC devices commonly have three hardware partitions: two boot
>     partitions and a user partition. I was looking for a convenient way to
>     have wic build an image for the boot partition and one for the user
>     partition. However, that does not seem to be possible right out of the
>     box. The variable WKS_FILE only accepts one file and not a list. The
>     class image_types_wic.bbclass uses WKS_FILES internally but that seems
>     to be a search list and the code only builds the file it finds first.
>

> I think part of the problem is that wks files are tied to a rootfs
> image, so it's not currently possible to have multiple because there
> is no way to differentiate them. Also because of that it's a little
> odd to have a wks file that doesn't reference the rootfs it's built with.
>
> You might be able to do it by making a simple dummy image recipe for
> the boot partition(s), then overriding the WKS_FILE variable for the
> image with a pn override in the machine.conf file (e.g.
> WKS_FILE_pn-my-emmc-boot = "emmc-boot.wks" )

Thank you, Joshua. I might try your idea. I have noticed that it is tied
to the rootfs as I tried to use ondisk/ondrive to create images for
different partitions. But that did not work. Actually, the use of the
ondisk/ondrive parameter is not entirely obvious to me (but I also have
not dissected the code to figure it out).

It might be worthwhile looking into enhancing wic to be able to create
multiple images. Devices now also use universal flash storage (UFS)
which supports multiple logical disks like a SCSI drive once it is
provisioned.

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4115 bytes --]

* Re: [yocto] [WIC] Multiple WKS Files
@ 2020-05-04 16:33     ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2020-05-04 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion