* Future of libslirp in QEMU
@ 2022-04-20 19:08 Anders Pitman
From: Anders Pitman @ 2022-04-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I noticed in the 7.0 changelog that libslirp might be removed as a submodule in the future. Since user networking is very important for my project, I'm wondering if this is simply an implementation detail, or if there are plans to eventually remove slirp support entirely from QEMU (which would be bad for me)?

Is there somewhere I can read the discussion about this? I searched the mailing list archives but didn't see anything obvious.

* Re: Future of libslirp in QEMU
@ 2022-04-20 20:21 ` Daniel Henrique Barboza
From: Daniel Henrique Barboza @ 2022-04-20 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Pitman, qemu-devel

On 4/20/22 16:08, Anders Pitman wrote:
> I noticed in the 7.0 changelog that libslirp might be removed as a submodule in the future. Since user networking is very important for my project, I'm wondering if this is simply an implementation detail, or if there are plans to eventually remove slirp support entirely from QEMU (which would be bad for me)?
>
> Is there somewhere I can read the discussion about this? I searched the mailing list archives but didn't see anything obvious.

QEMU will still be supporting libslirp. The difference is that now QEMU will be
using libslirp from the distro instead of packaging it itself.

The relevant thread is here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2022-04/msg00974.html

Thanks,

Daniel

* Re: Future of libslirp in QEMU
@ 2022-04-20 21:18   ` Anders Pitman
From: Anders Pitman @ 2022-04-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Awesome, thanks.

Apparently I'm not properly performing a date-sorted search on the list archives. I started here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/

Then entered "slirp" and searched with chronological order, but the latest entry is from 2020. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
//anders

@ 2022-04-21 11:57 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2022-04-21 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Pitman, qemu-devel

On 4/20/22 21:08, Anders Pitman wrote:
> I noticed in the 7.0 changelog that libslirp might be removed as a
> submodule in the future. Since user networking is very important for my
> project, I'm wondering if this is simply an implementation detail, or if
> there are plans to eventually remove slirp support entirely from QEMU
> (which would be bad for me)?

No, libslirp is now a standalone project and we'll rely on distros to
provide the package for the library (and a -devel package that
meson/pkg-config can use to find whether the library exist).

Paolo

@ 2022-04-21 12:57     ` Cornelia Huck
From: Cornelia Huck @ 2022-04-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Pitman, qemu-devel

On Wed, Apr 20 2022, "Anders Pitman" <anders@apitman.com> wrote:

> Awesome, thanks.
>
> Apparently I'm not properly performing a date-sorted search on the list archives. I started here:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/
>
> Then entered "slirp" and searched with chronological order, but the latest entry is from 2020. What am I doing wrong?

FWIW, I'd recommend searching the qemu-devel mailing via public inbox on
lore:

https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/

[I got the same outdated results on the page you listed, no idea what is
wrong there.]